Cake Box 2019 - Round 3

• Administrators

It's time for round 3...

As ever, the rules are simple:

• The model must fit in a standard 8-inch square cake box. 
  • It must include two railway items

You can interpret the theme any way you like.

It's up to you if you want to start a build thread, but we'll be calling for entries (3 photos + 200 words) at the start of October.

The prize is £100 of Humbrol products!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree Keith. The annual pilgrimage to WSM was always looked forward to. If I had a choice, my days were always spent in the field next to Uphill Junction watching the endless stream of Summer workings.

I might well enter this one............

Rob

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

How are international entries handled for prizes?

If I'm honest, no idea yet. I'm sure there are ways to do it though. £100 worth of brushes would keep you going for a while and could go in the post!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, OOman said:

An interesting theme Phil.

6 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I used to go on holiday each year to Weston-Super-Mare as a child: those donkeys haven't aged a bit in over 40 years!

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have to agree Keith. The annual pilgrimage to WSM was always looked forward to. If I had a choice, my days were always spent in the field next to Uphill Junction watching the endless stream of Summer workings.

I might well enter this one............

For me, it was more likely to be Teignmouth. I must admit that I particularly liked the journey there if the train was hauled by a Class 52.

As an aside, I might also mention that my earliest memory is actually of another holiday - in Blackpool. -Specifically, my earliest memory is of travelling upstairs on a "Balloon" tram. A few years later, my parents won a holiday in Austria, where I remember being fascinated by the trams (more rail transport stuff - and electric - lovely). Unfortunately, I was rather young at the time, so I'd have no chance of remembering which cities these trams ran in.

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

How are international entries handled for prizes?

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

If I'm honest, no idea yet. I'm sure there are ways to do it though. £100 worth of brushes would keep you going for a while and could go in the post!

Just for a moment, I had this nightmare vision of a hundred quid's worth of candy floss being sent in the mail - and then I realised you were talking about transporting prizes.

Although I can't see this sort of thing going on here, I was amused to hear about how some expats sometimes get presents home to their families - getting a (reliable) colleague who's popping home to take the item with them and pop it in the mail after they land!

Seriously though, I'm not expecting to get the time to enter this one. If I do manage to get any free time in the next few months, I might be more likely to put it towards what really interests me - building models that actually move on rails.

However, I'd like to take this chance to wish everyone who does enter this challenge the best of luck.

Huw.

• Like 1

Train journeys were always associated with childhood holidays for me. Might try scaling up again this time, but need to check what model railway items are available in Gauge 1 first? An opportunity to scratch build a carriage in card, possibly? Modeller Jim Read, here on the Forum, has made some lovely micro layouts with the locomotives and rolling stock made of card and has very kindly shared his techniques.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116975-making-a-7mm-0-gauge-lner-y8-side-tank-loco-from-card-for-about-£30/

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might have a Cunning Plan

A Del Prado static loco (or two) with the rear end of the cab cut away and a seat at the front end of the tender

a couple of Toast rack carriages

O scale people and

a OO scale signal on a low post at the end of a shallow platform

and we have a 15" gauge miniature railway almost anywhere around the British coast

Littlehampton.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Dickon said:

I think I might have a Cunning Plan

A Del Prado static loco (or two) with the rear end of the cab cut away and a seat at the front end of the tender

a couple of Toast rack carriages

O scale people and

a OO scale signal on a low post at the end of a shallow platform

and we have a 15" gauge miniature railway almost anywhere around the British coast

Littlehampton.jpg

Hope you give this one a go, Dickon? :rolleyes:

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Andy Brooks said:

Will you be displaying Cakebox Entries again at Peterborough show this year.

At the moment, I think the answer is no, but I'm in the office for some filming and meeting tomorrow, so will try and persuade them otherwise. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2019 at 18:19, Phil Parker said:

It's up to you if you want to start a build thread, but we'll be calling for entries (3 photos + 200 words) at the start of October.

Phil - when you call for entries, will you allow ten days or so for people to submit their entries? I've got a build underway and realised I might be offline at the start of next month.

- Richard.

• Administrators

Difficult. The call is from the first of October, a couple of days is OK, but ten days or so means the voting is likely to be halfway through the month or later. I appreciate your problems, but I've got to think of everyone. Sorry. 

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Difficult. The call is from the first of October, a couple of days is OK, but ten days or so means the voting is likely to be halfway through the month or later. I appreciate your problems, but I've got to think of everyone. Sorry. 

No worries - I can have a laptop with me.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Last day for building - tomorrow I'll be asking for entries.

Ideally, I'd like to start the voting on Tuesday 8th October and announce the results a week later.

Oh, and the next round starts tomorrow. You have been warned.