On Track Controls MPC3 controller: will it be okay?

Henry 84F

Good evening all,

Expecting this to be perceived as a silly question, but I thought it better safe than sorry. Will my old On Track Controls MPC3 be okay with current DC/analogue models from both Hornby and Bachmann? Since flying the nest, I find myself starting afresh with an old On Track Controls MPC3 dual-track controller (I will only be using one track output for now) and a rolling road. I have tested the controller with a Hornby pullman coach and the table lamps illuminate as expected, which suggests it still works. The controller is very old, however, and was used only for a short while when my Dad and I first set up a small layout about sixteen years ago. I believe it is fitted with a 3 amp fuse as supplied. Will the controller be okay to run DC operations on a rolling road, or should I wait and buy a newer controller? 

Thanks in advance and apologies if it seems that I'm asking obvious questions!

Henry

It should be fine.  We have two On Track single units which are excellent.  The 00 and 0 gauge units deliver from 0 to around 14 volts off load and give excellent speed stability up hill and down dale unlike resistance controllers.  They don't make motors buzz like Gaugemasters seem to or fry coreless motors like some other makes. The MPC3 from memory only has one hand held port, but the hand helds are brilliant, incredibly light, but benefit from bigger knobs, I use H&M Duette knobs to make the speed control easier to adjust .    There are some N gauge units which are great for N gauge or for exhibition creepy crawlies but trip the overload at anything above about a scale 20mph on 00.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2019 at 03:32, Henry 84F said:

Good evening all,

Expecting this to be perceived as a silly question, but I thought it better safe than sorry. Will my old On Track Controls MPC3 be okay with current DC/analogue models from both Hornby and Bachmann? Since flying the nest, I find myself starting afresh with an old On Track Controls MPC3 dual-track controller (I will only be using one track output for now) and a rolling road. I have tested the controller with a Hornby pullman coach and the table lamps illuminate as expected, which suggests it still works. The controller is very old, however, and was used only for a short while when my Dad and I first set up a small layout about sixteen years ago. I believe it is fitted with a 3 amp fuse as supplied. Will the controller be okay to run DC operations on a rolling road, or should I wait and buy a newer controller? 

Thanks in advance and apologies if it seems that I'm asking obvious questions!

Henry

It should be fine. But before you plug it in, check that any mains cord & plug is not damaged in any way. If not sure, ask someone with better knowledge - at your club perhaps?

If it looks fine, carefully plug it in & turn on the power. Any sign of smoke or burning, turn off immediately and seek advice.

It's not worth burning your house/railway room down!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That looks like the "N" gauge version of the twin control MPC-3 which was produced by a small firm called "All Components".  It is lower power rated than the standard model. probably dates from about 1998 (ish)

Later (about 2000) an uprated version MPC-3 PRO was introduced, similar to the MPC 3 (which had  16vac and 20vac outlets also); this had a good 2 amps power output, and the last versions had a switch for 2 hand controllers - mine only has one.

I considered this a very good replacement for my H&M Powermaster, I like the  single knob controlling both direction and speed system, rather than the now ubiquitous slide switch of direction. Mine has lasted into the 2020s without fault. Hope it carries on. (PS The Powermaster still works too....)

Colm Flanagan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

These are very similar to Morely units and very kind to coreless motors.    If you change the plug on the hand held units the Morley hand held operates the OnTrack and the OnTrack hand held works the Morley, they are just three wires and a centre click potentiometer, I make my own which saves about twenty quid a throw..

The N gauge unit is hopeless for heavy OO locos but is great for dioramas or mini layouts

On 29/07/2021 at 15:06, colmflanagan said:

I like the  single knob controlling both direction and speed system, rather than the now ubiquitous slide switch of direction

It's not completely ubiquitous: Morley controllers use centre-off pots.  Like you, I much prefer it to having to fumble for for a switch (and often forgetting!) every time I want to change direction.  Maybe it's because I grew up with the old Triang P42 controllers and the old motor engrams are still too engrained.  (FWIW, on controllers with a reverse switch, I much prefer a toggle switch to a slide switch.)