Kernow Announce OO Gauge Clay Triple Pack with Flat Hoods

sc2016

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Kernow version and the standard Bachmann version?

Kernow: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/65591/33-080T-Bachmann-China-Clay-Wagon-in-BR-Bauxite-livery-with-flat

Bachmann: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/63201/33-091-Bachmann-5-Plank-China-Clay-3-Wagon-Pack-BR-Bauxite

(and yes, the photos is the same for both)

Luke

• RMweb Gold

I think this is a reprise of previous Kernow limited edition under Bachmann 33080Y with different wagon numbers.  The weathering on the first issue is some of the best factory produced that I have seen.  I suspect that the running numbers are the only difference between the 2 editions. 

The Bachmann general issue 3 pack is quoted as Era 5 although I thought Bauxite liveried china clay wagons continued running until the early 1980's?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just re-read the Bachmann marketing which states the Bauxite is the early version which explains the Era 5 rating. I would still appreciate any conformation/comment on my thinking that 'Bauxite liveried china clay wagons continued running until the early 1980's' 

25 minutes ago, young37215 said:

I think this is a reprise of previous Kernow limited edition under Bachmann 33080Y with different wagon numbers.  The weathering on the first issue is some of the best factory produced that I have seen.  I suspect that the running numbers are the only difference between the 2 editions. 

The Bachmann general issue 3 pack is quoted as Era 5 although I thought Bauxite liveried china clay wagons continued running until the early 1980's?  

Yes the OOV clay hoods were still running in the 1980s within Cornwall but the vast majority (possibly all) were the peaked hoods not flat hood type.

the long distance flows into England & Scotland had gone over to air brake wagons such as the PRA.

57 minutes ago, young37215 said:

Just re-read the Bachmann marketing which states the Bauxite is the early version which explains the Era 5 rating. I would still appreciate any conformation/comment on my thinking that 'Bauxite liveried china clay wagons continued running until the early 1980's' 

Strood in Kent was a destination for these in the early 80's

Most of the china clay for the domestic market was  transported in normal 5-plank opens, of either 'Big 4' or BR origins; by the late 1970s/early 1980s, these had blue or grey 'plastic' wagon sheets. I lived in Stoke (and worked at Longport Yard) during the period in question, and only saw one of the shorter, purpose-built, china clay wagons. The end for such wagons on flows to the various terminals in Stoke happened in 1982, IIRC, when the 'Clay Tigers' arrived, running to a purpose-built terminal at Cliffe Vale.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

the long distance flows into England & Scotland had gone over to air brake wagons such as the PRA.

Rail Express Modeller Train Formations shows a West highland line train of class 37 and 18 OWV’s with a date of June 1981. Given the PRA’s were not introduced until 1984, I think that China clay was transported in the old vacuum braked wagons until the PRA’ arrived.

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann/Kernow set are the 9ft wheelbase end tipper clay wagons which really only ran in Cornwall and Devon. These are the ones which had the tent-like 'hoods' fitted from around 1974, so this set is suitable up to around that time ie largely pre-TOPS.

The longer distance runs used standard 10ft wheelbase open wagons with the flat sheets as Brian (Fat Controller) said. One of the runs to Kent was named the Clayliner but not really a modern train despite the name! These mostly had roller bearings due to the longer distances covered, but not so many of the clay tipper/hood wagons were fitted; possibly later fitting when the Clayliner wagons started to be withdrawn after air braked stock came into use.

Plenty of images on Paul Bartlett's site to check

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brclayhood

It's interesting (suspicious?) that the Bachmann clay tipper/hood wagons copied the Ratio kit having roller bearings when most of the prototype wagons didn't.... ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It's interesting (suspicious?) that the Bachmann clay tipper/hood wagons copied the Ratio kit having roller bearings when most of the prototype wagons didn't.... ;)

I've always found that a bit irritating, as my primary interest is late 50s -> mid 60s, but tbh with advancing years and worsening eyesight I find myself caring less and less. :-/

Looks particularly odd on the GWR liveried versions.

Might well splash out on one of these sets. :-)

• RMweb Premium
On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 00:14, luke_stevens said:

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Kernow version and the standard Bachmann version?

Kernow: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/65591/33-080T-Bachmann-China-Clay-Wagon-in-BR-Bauxite-livery-with-flat

Bachmann: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/63201/33-091-Bachmann-5-Plank-China-Clay-3-Wagon-Pack-BR-Bauxite

(and yes, the photos is the same for both)

Luke

Ignoring the image, the description of the Bachmann "own" version doesn't say "weathered". Is that the difference?

5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Ignoring the image, the description of the Bachmann "own" version doesn't say "weathered". Is that the difference?

The Bachmann catalogue says they are weathered (with the same photo), so that won't be the difference.

I suspect it's just the different running numbers.

Luke

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2019 at 14:16, Ramblin Rich said:

The Bachmann/Kernow set are the 9ft wheelbase end tipper clay wagons which really only ran in Cornwall and Devon. These are the ones which had the tent-like 'hoods' fitted from around 1974, so this set is suitable up to around that time ie largely pre-TOPS.

The longer distance runs used standard 10ft wheelbase open wagons with the flat sheets

Thank you for the clarification although it completely trashes the authenticity of using 2 sets of Kernow UCV/OOV wagons on my West Highland Line layout! It just goes to show how some times ignorance is bliss. Hopefully the PRA's will arrive sometime this year and provide me with an authentic china clay wagon for the WHL. When they do, it looks like my UCV's will be appearing on Ebay in the not too distant future.

Out of interest, is there a RTR china clay carrying OWV?  I cannot find anything, presumably the best available option wouid be a Bachmann 5 plank wagon converted by respraying and weathering?

Edited by young37215

Do Bachmann do a 5-plank, corrugated-end open? 

Parkside and Cambrian, between them do kits for BR/LMS 5 plankers with 'tin-ends', along with SR/LNER 5 plankers. Cambrian also do a LNER 6-plank with wood underframe; this could be 'modernised' with a Parkside LNER 'fitted'underframe. There may still be a GWR 5-plank available from Ratio.

• RMweb Gold

Paul Bartlett's site has a mix of corrugated and wooden ended OWV wagons

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/prenatclayliner

I got 2 triple packs of these Hornby 5 plank wagons when they were available as a basis

https://www.hattons.co.uk/25826/Hornby_R6395A_BR_ex_SR_5_plank_wagon/StockDetail.aspx

Replaced the wheels with 3-hole discs. Strictly these do need roller bearings but I'm ignoring that for now!

The other problem is depicting the sheets, especially as they should be removed when running empty.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Paul Bartlett's site has a mix of corrugated and wooden ended OWV wagons

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/prenatclayliner

I got 2 triple packs of these Hornby 5 plank wagons when they were available as a basis

https://www.hattons.co.uk/25826/Hornby_R6395A_BR_ex_SR_5_plank_wagon/StockDetail.aspx

Replaced the wheels with 3-hole discs. Strictly these do need roller bearings but I'm ignoring that for now!

The other problem is depicting the sheets, especially as they should be removed when running empty.

Whilst most OWV used on the domestic clay flows had roller-bearings, there were quite a lot that didn't; I noted wagon and Pool details, and could list them here when I find the relevant note-book.

Wagon sheets were either folded, and placed inside the empty wagon, or stacked in one of the Vanfits which had worked up with bagged clay. Although wgons used on clay traffic were meant to be wooden-bodied (the 'tin-enders' had vertical matchboarding on the inside), there was a solitary OHV in one of the Pools.

• Informative/Useful 1

Are these a Kernow exclusive as indicated in last weeks newsletter and on their website or are they a Bachmann Rep edition. The box of these says 33-080TL Regional Exclusive Model. Have Kernow got all the regions stock! Numbers are B743004/B743610/B743125 as indicated for 33-080T on the Kernow site

Have contacted Kernow over these.

33-080TL was going to be a Regional model when it left the factory hence  the labelling on the packaging but Kernow acquired the entire stock before it arrived. It is 33-080T on their website so people did not think it was a Regional model. So an exclusive for a very small region!

• RMweb Premium

Regardless of the wagon (they look like the 9’ WB Bachmann offerings probably renumbered) the hoods/tarpaulins  are awful renditions. I make my own from the tissue used to cover r/c glider wings and paint them the appropriate colour. At £18 each for old tooling and rubbish covers I believe they are far too pricey. Also the photo shows the older style (non NEM) style tension lock, this may be an old photo though. Weathering China Clay wagons is a relatively easy process because the clay dust covered virtually every part of the wagon.

• RMweb Premium

The weathering on the new wagons is among the very best I have seen for a factory-released item.  It is up there with the highly-praised Kernow-commissioned bogie clay tank models.  But the wagon tarp is pristine as the original versions were.  That fact is apparent from the manufacturer / retailer images so should not be cause for complaint.  It does not look right however.  

Weathering the tarp need not be an exact science.  I did all of my earlier ones differently but most often by brushing a base mix of grey, brown and black across the tarp then inverting it onto the workbench to pick up brushed-off excess and spill as random spots and blotches of colour.  It worked well.

The newly-arrived wagons will be treated the same way though I note the fabric for the tarp is different.  It is a finer-grained plastic-type fabric rather than a coarse-weave cloth but still has the stitching around the perimeter and is still just placed on top unless glued by the user.  They aren't a great representation of prototype but are perfectly serviceable.  For the fine-detail modellers among us kits remain available for these wagons with a more accurate and thinner, better-looking, tarp.

All in all a well-spent £54 so far as I am concerned.

• RMweb Gold

I have bitten the bullet and decided that given the UCV/OOV were unlikely to have traversed the west highlands, I have listed the first variant of the Kernow limited edition (Bachmann 38-050Y) on Ebay. For those looking at buying the net cost of my second hand wagons inclusive of postage is 66% of what the new Kernow will cost.