Kernow Announce OO Gauge Clay Triple Pack with Flat Hoods

sc2016

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Gwiwer about them being perfectly servicable (but not the price), I have many on my layout that look superb. I have also built a few kits of this type of wagon which have much finer detail and represent a good alternative. I am just glad that we can still get these super little wagons. Just as an aside I downloaded the Scalescenes China Clay Dry kit and with that you get a sheet of hoods which when printed on very thin paper are designed to fit over the Bachmann hoods (or frames) and really look the part 

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I think all Bachmann China clay wagons are non-NEM. The current OO catalogue no longer indicates which models are fitted with NEM boxes.

My GW livery versions don't have an NEM socket and these look the same.

its an old tool seeing good income for Bachmann and Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I'm still gradually building my 10 foot wb clay liner rakes from Hornby 5 plank opens, Parkside BR dia 1/039 1/044 (PC02A) and Cambrian C107 D1375/D178 5 plank opens which featured in the prototype trains I'm modelling. This was the 6M53/6V53 (or slight variations on this code) st Blazey-Stoke on Trent. Roller bearings can be obtained to fit these wagons from Wizard models. As always, Paul Bartlett's site was used for reference to identify the wagons utilised in the 1970s. I'm not sure if we referred to it as "the clayliner" then, normally just "what was the Western on the China clays?"

i sold my previous Kernow limited edition flat tarp OOV/OCVs as these wagons were not generally used on the above train in question. As others have mentioned the flat tarp is rather crude, being far too thick. Some 9' wb tipplers did make it into the clay liner rakes with flat tarps however, I've got a photo of one at Bristol Parkway where the train routinely waited in either the up or down passing loops. So the Kernow/Bachmann models have prototype provenance, but certainly the vast majority of most rakes were not 9' wheel base wagons, as previous posters mention.

I'm still amazed that no one has made a RTR 1/039 or D1375 5 plank wagon. The system was awash with them right until the 1970s/early 1980s.

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The set I photographed above cost less than thirty quid a few years back, Bachmann prices have certainly changed, cannot remember the last Bachmann product I bought.