O gauge JCB-type coal loader?

billtee

I am modelling a freelance modern Heritage steam MPD, and rather than having a very large and dominant coal loading tower, or even a coal loading facility like that at the GWR museum at Didcot, I am hoping to find a JCB-type front-loader for filling tenders like they do at Bridgnorth on the SVR. Does anyone know if a 1/43 scale model vehicle like that exists?

Thank you all for any help, however small.

Bill

If you don't mind having it as only a background item, you can get various ones in 1:50 scale:

Not everyone does it, but if you put it behind the trains, you can get a little forced perspective by using 1:48 or 1:50 scale models.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Joal-243-Model-Front-Loader-JCB-435/1325084782

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Joal-243-JCB-435-Four-Wheel-Loader-Diecast-1-50/122075971639

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JCB-467-WLS-Front-Loader-1-50-Scale-by-Motorart/312254145077

Hachette do a Fordson Major, loads on ebay.  There are lots of front loader images on Google.  Looks like a not too difficult tractor bash.  Just added this to my 'to do list'

Even the safety cab looks home made  In the 70's I was involved with tractors.  When something wanted fixing, the first port of call was the local 'Agricultural Engineer', he didn't order OEM parts, instead he looked at what he had 'round the back' and offered a cheap functional solution..

loader.jpg.e35c9b792603a91718543f4d279767e8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bigbee Line said:

Hachette do a Fordson Major, loads on ebay.  There are lots of front loader images on Google.  Looks like a not too difficult tractor bash.  Just added this to my 'to do list'

Even the safety cab looks home made  In the 70's I was involved with tractors.  When something wanted fixing, the first port of call was the local 'Agricultural Engineer', he didn't order OEM parts, instead he looked at what he had 'round the back' and offered a cheap functional solution..

loader.jpg.e35c9b792603a91718543f4d279767e8.jpg

A lot of these 'agricultural engineers' had probably been blacksmiths, prior to the mechanisation that started in the late 1930s. Do you remember those grabs that were popular amongst coal merchants, Ernie? The ones that had the driver's seat and the steering turned through 180 degrees.

• Agree 1

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I knew about 1/50 scale front loaders, but I feel they are just a bit too small for my layout - my coaling area is only 2ft from the front edge of my baseboard, so is hardly ‘in the background’!

However, I have located a 1/43 Muir Hill loader on eBay and have just purchased it. It was reasonably priced, though slightly paint-chipped, but that won’t matter after a bit of weathering.

• Like 1