Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Jago's Trains - Tales from the Tube

Hi all. I've lately been playing with the concept of making YouTube videos on the subject of railway modelling. I'm kind of feeling my way at the moment, trying to figure out what works and how to improve.

I was inspired by talking about the hobby with a number of friends who have expressed an interest in getting into the hobby. I wanted to create videos aimed at beginners, people who aren't necessarily super-knowledgeable about railways or modelling, to give them an accessible introduction to concepts within the hobby. These are the videos produced so far:

The Hornby 4-wheel coach analysed

Frankenshunter

A Victorian locomotive

Improving the Triang mineral wagon, part 1

I have a couple more lined up. The aim is to have one up every Friday evening. There's a sort of overarching storyline to the videos, as it were, building up to the construction of a simple micro-layout.

Feedback is welcome - like I say, I'm new to this, so I'm aware that improvements can be made.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:41, Ruston said:

The quote about a good stout Mackintosh was from Sir Arthur Heywood and not, as you said in your video, Colonel Stephens.

Ta, I'll put out a correction. Unfortunately, I make these things quite a long way in advance, so I'm probably doomed to be wrong on YouTube for about a month.

Actually, here's an idea - rather than make the correction part of another video, I think a video about Heywood and Stephens would be an interesting subject in itself. I've been playing around with editing and I think I've learned enough to make such a video without it looking too awful.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:44, HonestTom said:

... I don’t know what I was thinking about 'Thomas and the Class Struggle'

I know what I am thinking. The proprieter's of such items tend to be rather aggressive in defending their copyright.  You never can tell with communists, they can suddenly turn very capitalist when there's money involved. As for the owners of Rev Awdry's funny little invention, definitely.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
torrecting a cypo
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I know what I am thinking. The proprieter's of such items tend to be rather aggressive in defending their copyright.  You never can tell with communists, they can suddenly turn very capitalist when there's money involved. As for the owners of Rev Arwdry's funny little invention, definitely.

I'll take my chances. The work is a parody and as such, the material falls under Fair Use. Given that there are people uploading entire episodes of the original TV series to YouTube,  not to mention more extreme parodies such as Shed 17, I doubt I'm even a blip on the radar for them.

YouTube also wouldn't allow monetisation of a video like this, that puts children's characters in inappropriate situations (thank you, Elsagate), but I wasn't planning to make money off this silliness anyway. It's just a series of videos about trains I'm making for fun.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1