LHR to Euston journey times

Liam

(Mods - if this topic should be in a different location then please move it)

In a few weeks time I’m off on a pilgrimage to Lourdes. But coming back I’ll be getting the train home, and as I’m keen to book the tickets with Virgin as soon as possible, has anyone done Heathrow to London Euston on the tube before, and do they know how long it took them? 

The flight lands at 18:35, and allowing a good hour to get out of the airport, with a change at Oxford Circus for the Victoria line, I estimate I’ll be in Euston at 20:45 at the earliest, but any past experience would be most gratefully received. 

• RMweb Premium

The TfL website thinks it will take you 57 minutes but I would allow at least an extra 30 minutes in case of delays. You also need to allow for your flight being delayed as with an advance ticket you can only travel on the booked train. It might be cheaper to buy a standard ticket that is valid for any train that day as you could all too easily have to buy one as well as the advance ticket if you are delayed. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Its a combination of string length and luck unfortunately.

LHR can be heaven or hell to exit, you didn’t mention terminal in your post...

but if luck shines bright, you can exit the plane, at the side gates of T5, have no queue at immigration, be out of security and walk on to a train that’s immediately ready to leave.. and be in Paddington all within 30 minutes.. then allow another 20 to exit, take the tube to Euston, giving you a journey of 50 minutes.

but if luck isn’t shining, you can be in the satellite T5, spend 30 minutes trekking to security, if the escalators are not working, spend another 60 in immigration, followed by 20 minutes delay for baggage, then walk down to the Hex to end up  just missing one and waiting 15 minutes for the next one meaning you’d be in Paddington 2hr 5 mins, only to find things have gone bump on the tube and find yourself changing twice along the central line taking another hour., giving you a journey time of 3hr 5 minutes...

ive done both many times, often as a result of the same inbound flight on the same day a week apart or even days apart.

if your on a budget for a set train time, my suggestion is assume worst and plan to have dinner or drinks around Euston, if all is clear.. chow down, if not you’ve got loads of head room, personally i’d look at flexible train tickets where possible, flights can be delayed / cancelled throwing any plans to waste.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Don’t use the Piccadilly option if you’re strapped for time. As well as a longer scheduled journey, you’re in the lap of the gods as reliability over the summer has been shocking.

Id allow an hour minimum travelling plus your judgement to cover delays/ airport checks etc.

You can't rely on getting out of Heathrow in a hurry. Even domestic flights where you don't need to go through immigration can be highly variable. Give it at least an hour longer than it should... And buy a flexible train ticket if at all possible.

• Agree 1

To answer adb968008's question, I'm landing at T5, and we looked into HEC but I believe there wasn't a lot in it. I've never been to Heathrow, so the time between stepping off the plane and exiting the terminal will be something to watch, but how safe would you say I would be to get the 21:03 from Euston? 

25 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

I'd say pushing it. What day? because that could make a big difference too.

Friday the 19th. I have considered the Heathrow Express but they don't accept Oyster cards. Although that would involve walking from Euston Square, which wouldn't be that difficult but may be time consuming.

• RMweb Gold

To start with I would check what time the flight tends to land. If you google the flight number websites like flightradar24 will confirm what time the flight has landed for the last few days. With planes making multiple short flights during the day, some  European flights tend to run late in the afternoon as delays accumulate. Then work forward from that allowing for delays in the airport, an hour on the tube plus a bit extra

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SVRlad said:

To answer adb968008's question, I'm landing at T5, and we looked into HEC but I believe there wasn't a lot in it. I've never been to Heathrow, so the time between stepping off the plane and exiting the terminal will be something to watch, but how safe would you say I would be to get the 21:03 from Euston? 

18:35 LHR T5 landing arrival to a 21:03 at Euston i’d personally be confident to go with. (I’m fit, fat but mobile.. usually minimum luggage).

i took the liberty of guessing your flight as BA375* from Toulouse to LHR which invariably arrives 1825 at T5, its on time record is pretty good, though last week seems to have been problematic! ... below “landed time” is +1 for UK.. e.g. 1st July is 18:31 not 17:31 shown.

5B076581-3EF7-4721-92D7-493EFA1D1E17.jpeg.6fabb2fb1414492e4af89411bb49ee93.jpeg

note: using June 23rd as an example...the “landed” time is GMT not BST (its actually +1 hour to stated for all times... so landed at 20:39 ... not 19:39 as stated or 18:25 as scheduled !

4E570D93-2067-40BA-A98C-EF8D651BFCB8.jpeg.edffbe2feadee1dad7733771ff20b5e7.jpeg

If everything is alright on the night (as an average) my guess is you’ll be at Euston around 2015/2030.

Disclaimer: As I mentioned the variables you can’t control.. delays, cancelations, queues, things not working..  those are a personal choice to factor in or not and how much you want to factor.

* if its not BA375 feel free to pm me, I can look up most commercial flights for the past year (i’m into planes as well as trains).

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

Thanks adb. Yes, it's the BA flight from Toulouse, I should have mentioned that originally but I think I was more concerned about the time needed to get to Euston. 

Although I will have a large-ish suitcase with me, so the baggage handlers at Heathrow had better not decide to knock it on the head and go down to the pub rather than return my suitcase to me!

As you're in to planes, you may be aware that there's a programme that was trailered on BBC Two earlier called 'Planespotting Live'. They did 'Trainspotting Live' in 2016, and I'm sure other members will be aware of what that turned out to be like. Personally I didn't mind it but some of what they were doing, such as asking people to hunt class 66s and the repeated use of the word 'anorak' irritating, so I don't hold my hopes up for this new show.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SVRlad said:

Friday the 19th. I have considered the Heathrow Express but they don't accept Oyster cards. Although that would involve walking from Euston Square, which wouldn't be that difficult but may be time consuming.

Avoid anything going through Edgware Road. From Paddington to Euston, StP and KX go Bakerloo to Oxford Circus up and over the link from SB to NB and then Victoria to Euston. If time is anything like critical then use the train.

If you must use the underground and have limited luggage then change at Hammersmith onto the circle/H+C.

Unless I am staying overnight at Heathrow (premier inn or TL at T4) I avoid T5 if arriving late afternoon/early evening; it's to unpredictable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SVRlad said:

<pedant>

HEx does now accept Oyster PAYG and Contactless although it is no cheaper.

</pedant>

10 hours ago, SVRlad said:

I used to do Paddington-Euston as part of my commute & learned to treat the Circle/H&C very much as a last resort.

Trains are not very frequent by Underground terms & I could easily be waiting 10 minutes at Paddington.

They then wait at Edgware Road for what seems like ages. They do a crew change there & then continue to hold the train until the next District Line train arrives.

There is then another wait at Baker Street for a West/Northbound Met to crossover the line in front of you.

Then as you mention, the walk from Euston Square, which I am sure is only there because the Met had some sort of feud with the London & Birmingham railway, otherwise the exit at Euston Square would be at the opposite end of the station.

It may seem like these delays would not always happen to every train, but they usually did.

An alternative would be to take the Bakerloo to Oxford Circus then the Victoria to Euston. It may be 7 stops & a change but the services are frequent & neither line hangs around. It may seem like a less direct route but it is quicker than the Circle/H&C.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I once made the mistake of only allowing 45 minutes for Paddington to Euston via the circle line. I had to sprint from Euston Square and only made the train from there because it was late.

I'd get the bus before relying on the circle line.

44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I used to do Paddington-Euston as part of my commute & learned to treat the Circle/H&C very much as a last resort.

Trains are not very frequent by Underground terms & I could easily be waiting 10 minutes at Paddington.

They then wait at Edgware Road for what seems like ages. They do a crew change there & then continue to hold the train until the next District Line train arrives.

There is then another wait at Baker Street for a West/Northbound Met to crossover the line in front of you.

Then as you mention, the walk from Euston Square, which I am sure is only there because the Met had some sort of feud with the London & Birmingham railway, otherwise the exit at Euston Square would be at the opposite end of the station.

It may seem like these delays would not always happen to every train, but they usually did.

An alternative would be to take the Bakerloo to Oxford Circus then the Victoria to Euston. It may be 7 stops & a change but the services are frequent & neither line hangs around. It may seem like a less direct route but it is quicker than the Circle/H&C.

Last time I did it I don’t remember Euston Square-Euston being a particularly long or complicated walk but depending how much luggage you have it may be best avoided. Just a thought - does anyone know if Euston tube station takes as long to get through and out of as Kings Cross St Pancras sometimes does?

Edited by 009 micro modeller

If I were going to Lourdes I'd go by Eurostar. It's only a short walk from Euston to St.Pancras and avoids the possible 3 hours it can take from Euston to LHR to getting on the plane and maybe a longer delay when you come back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Euston Square to Euston doesn't take long, it's a big wide pavement between there and Euston Station and some semblance of normality has returned with the new entrance and Taxi rank in place as a result of HS2 demolitions.

However, Euston square is all steps isn't whereas Euston Underground whilst very busy has lots of escalators.

According to Wikipedia only the westbound platform is accessible by lift at Euston Square.

For Euston Underground Network rail says this about lifts:

"The entrance is opposite the main departures board. The ticket hall can be accessed by lift, stairs or escalator. Underground platforms can only be reached by escalator or stairs"

Apparently all platforms at Kings Cross Underground are accessible by lift so if you have a lot of luggage you'll have the walk down Euston Rd but easier exit from the underground.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Definitely avoid the Circle Line from Paddington as you nowadays almost invariably have to change at Edgware Road.  Taking the Hammersmith & City from Padd is an alternative but it's a route march to get to (even if you leave the main platforms via the overbridge).  If I'm going by UndergrounD I almost inevitably take the Bakerloo and change at Oxford Circus but with luggage I would take a cab (but they're not too easy to get to at Paddington either nowadays thanks to (makes me very) Cross rail. 

• Agree 1

They are fiddling with Euston's Underground at the moment.

Escalators are being refurbished 1 at a time, which is worsening congestion.

The lifts & stairs are slightly off from the SW corner of the concourse, but not too far.

The main exit from the Northern & Victoria lines are close to Euston BR & until recently the escalators delivered you nice & centrally onto the main concourse, with a clear view of the departure screens when you emerged. They have recently changed this so the escalators deliver you to an exit on the outside (south) face of Euston.

The shortest way to get back to the concourse is to turn left then head back in, but you get a rubbish view of the departure screens. It makes little difference if your train is at platform 12-18 because you have to walk across the concourse anyway but if it is at 1-7, you have to wade through the crowd to see what platform it is then back out again. I hope this new external exit is temporary!

It still works better than most of the other bigger London termini (exception being Liverpool St) but not as well as it did 6 months ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

I also frequently use the Bakerloo/Victoria Lines route between Paddington and Euston; Since the demise of the circular Circle Line the sub-surface route is even worse than it used to be. As an aside, I first started travelling regularly through London in 1978, initially between Paddington and Liverpool St, and back then the sub-surface service was so poor, especially in the evening, that I would sometimes use the Central Line to Lancaster Gate. One would have thought that 40 years later things might have improved...... Still, at least we'll have Crossrail soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Last time I looked you could get through tickets from Heathrow to destinations beyond London, including via the Piccadilly line.  It may be too late for the OP, but buying one of those should mean it is valid on a later train out of Euston if the passenger is delayed between Heathrow and there, as long as they were at the Heathrow station at the time given on the journey planner.  It wouldn't be any good though for delays in the flight arriving or taking an unexpectedly long time to get from the flight to the Heathrow station. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

I also frequently use the Bakerloo/Victoria Lines route between Paddington and Euston; Since the demise of the circular Circle Line the sub-surface route is even worse than it used to be. As an aside, I first started travelling regularly through London in 1978, initially between Paddington and Liverpool St, and back then the sub-surface service was so poor, especially in the evening, that I would sometimes use the Central Line to Lancaster Gate. One would have thought that 40 years later things might have improved...... Still, at least we'll have Crossrail soon.

It went seriously downhill in the early 1970s and from then onwards you could more or less forget am easily achievable 30 minutes from getting off a mainline train at Kings Cross to getting on one at Paddington (it was usually much quicker than 30 minutes) and 40 minutes mainline train to mainline train between Liverpool St and Paddington via the Circle Line was usually quite achievable.  Things are even worse now with not just the no longer circular Circle Line but a far longer, and, more difficult, transfer between the mainline/suburban side of Paddington and what is now a more remote Hammersmith & City station.

Every time I hear a TfL announcement that says there is a 'Good Service' on the Circle Line I'm tempted to sue them for misleading advertising - there is no such thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3