Software

codek

Hi

I searched the forum for a layout design software thread and couldn't see one!

So what's recommended? Any packages to avoid? I found xtrackcad.. worth a punt?

The layout is oo if that matters.

Thanks,

Dan 

• RMweb Gold

It depends what you wan to do. If you want to build your own points then TEMPLOT ( http://www.templot.com) is about the only program to use! You just have to get used to the fact that design wise it's about 30 years old ( it was originally released  for the Commadore amiga in the mid 80's :o) . But it is still amazing. If you want to design a whole layout then TEMPLOT is NOT what you want to use. I have used ANYRAIL (https://www.anyrail.com/en) which is very easy to use. Since I am using handbuilt points. I ended up using both products by doing the the layout design's running lines in anyrail Which I then saved as a jpg file. and then I imported into Templot as the background. I designed TEMPLOT points in the positions I wanted on the background. It is a bit fiddly but possible. There is a free trial version of anyrail. But since the product ( including version upgrades costs) about the same as a cheap 'OO' gauge coach, do the decent thing, and buy a license. The support for both TEMPLOT and ANYrail is amazing. I get very quick responses from Martin (templot) and David (anyrail) to any questions. Now if you could please join my campaign to persuade them to make a real export/import feature between the two products... :P

Hehe wow I dont see me building my own points. Just a novice!

I have however been looking around for inspiration for the design. Found some good threads on here about maidenhead for example! (I like nse era!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Vistisen said:

If you want to design a whole layout then TEMPLOT is NOT what you want to use.

It certainly is, if you intend to build the pointwork yourself. You can't create something like this in XTrackCAD or AnyRail:

c_clad_junction.jpg.95d057f046da4146ebf62c2dd38bd4d1.jpg

On the other hand, if you are using commercial pointwork such as Peco, you don't want Templot under any circumstances. That's just not what it's for -- it will drive you mad if you try to use it for Peco.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

If you read his whole post he does say he’s using handbuilt points, but that he does an Anyrail plan and then uses that as a background for the Templot pointwork. 

I can see the merit in that method frankly. Templot is incredible, and I doth my cap to you for its continuing development, but the likes of Anyrail or SCARM do make planning a large layout significantly quicker. Although I can throw a turnout plan together in minutes, a full sized layout is certainly quite time consuming, giving 95% is plain track. 

14 hours ago, codek said:

Hehe wow I dont see me building my own points. Just a novice!

Anyrail is what you're after then. Or at least I can whole heartedly recommend it, I've had quite a few enjoyable hours doodling layouts in Anyrail.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, njee20 said:

If you read his whole post he does say he’s using handbuilt points, but that he does an Anyrail plan and then uses that as a background for the Templot pointwork. 

I can see the merit in that method frankly. Templot is incredible, and I doth my cap to you for its continuing development, but the likes of Anyrail or SCARM do make planning a large layout significantly quicker. Although I can throw a turnout plan together in minutes, a full sized layout is certainly quite time consuming, giving 95% is plain track. 

One other major advantage with anyrail is that it understands gradients and can show them in a 3d rendering which is a great help when designing layouts with more than one level. As far as I know Templot does not have a third dimension. ( although I'm sure Martin will correct me if I'm wrong :P) Anyrail also has an export to TrainPlayer although that is not something I have used, JMRI and various 3d formats.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

One other major advantage with anyrail is that it understands gradients and can show them in a 3d rendering which is a great help when designing layouts with more than one level. As far as I know Templot does not have a third dimension. ( although I'm sure Martin will correct me if I'm wrong :P) Anyrail also has an export to TrainPlayer although that is not something I have used, JMRI and various 3d formats.

Hi,

No, Templot does not have a 3rd dimension for track planning. All track design is referenced to the rail top. However, it can export DXF files which can be imported into 3D track planning software such as 3rd PlanIt:

hc_3pi_1.jpg

hc_3pi_9.jpg

GWR tracks from Templot imported into 3rd PlanIt.

3rd PlanIt is high-end 3D model trackplanning software, see: https://www.trackplanning.com

To integrate track designs from Templot into 3rd PlanIt's native track design, export the DXF file from Templot as track centre-lines only, and import it into the track objects layer in 3rd PlanIt.

Here is an old web page from 2003 showing the process: http://templot.com/3pi/dxf_3d_hc_3pi.htm

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• 5 weeks later...