china clay micro

Thanks all for yr kind coments . have ing had two faulse starts with layouts  allready i kind of slung this one together but so far all ok except the dreded traverser again  its not working as it should due to a wonkey crossmember the traverser keeps jam ing up . this pic i have used before  but can show  roughly how i need it to move across to the hidden sideing . so a bit of surgrey soon i hope will sort it was thinking of again trying draw runners again but when i tried to shorten them they fell to bits . o the joys of wood work  . 20190703_163535.jpg.db0c60c27f51c80167004774150a9f0b.jpg

• Like 1

If your traverser aligns well, and is really just suffering because of stiffness - you could try rubbing candle wax on the wood surfaces
This can reduce friction and help free movement.... As solutions go, it's a nice simple one as well. Hope you can sort it :)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark  but ime afraid its more out of alinement  really my fault as i hurried it .by the time i had finished it it was to late but ime sure i can fix it . 

20190729_194644.jpg.caff3acf9e1ae7820026e77c4db79c98.jpgHi all just thought u might like a bit of a up date of some things i have got on with . The front  of the layout i will box in so it gives it that looking at TV look . this will all be painted black at some stage . i have allso got some couplings sorted on my china clay hoods and a brake van  , so i can now do a bit of shunting . i have allso just recived another pair of draw runners for another go with the traverser  thease are much smaller in size so just may be i can get it to work much more smoothly fingers crossed .

20190729_194824.jpg

20190729_194907.jpg

20190729_194919.jpg

• Like 16

cheers all for the comments ,two more pics nothing much of interest  but this shows the the new draw runner i have just been playing around with for the traverser which is now turning in to a right pain even tho its smaller than the the other one i used ti dus not matter how i possition it the inner slider still has a over  hang . and with the last runners i tried shortern  them they just fell to bits  so i doint think ile be going down that road again  may even scrap that  idear alltogether and try some thing different  .

20190731_201232.jpg

20190731_201427.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all . have ing got bogged down with the dreaded traverser problem . i kind of left the whole layout alone for a good few days . have ing been chatting with my long term railway buddy . he was looking at the layout and said your old 03 shunter would look good on there and this weekend haveing met up for a trip 2 a local expo  he handed me a bag with my old 03 in it  . it had conpletely slipped my mind we had done a swap  some time ago . he had no use for it so we agreed a deal and so now its back and i do like the size and look of it on the layout . so here is a few  pics . o yes there is a few changes bit of grass now laid    .

20190810_201310.jpg

20190810_201319.jpg

20190810_201343.jpg

20190810_201430.jpg

20190810_201443.jpg

20190810_201504.jpg

20190810_201546.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Ben  glad you like it . i have rested the front board back to get a idear of what more needs to be done . i have to admit even when i go to expos  now i head right for micro layouts or any small ones  i doint get the same kick from larger layouts 

20190811_134524.jpg

20190811_134551.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Yes  i could have called it a point less layout :wacko: but  it all came down to space  i had seen a american  micro layout  . think it was called harbour  Belt  . ive borrowed the idear from that  . i like planning new ideas for layouts but its never the same as on a scrap bit of paper  when i start putting the   track down there allways to long  i can still do a good bit of shuntting  around even with no points . the 3rd hidden side ing helps  , i have  a good few points in reserve  in case .another project  happens .

Totally agree with these comments. What a cracking little layout.

I think that more and more people are taking up these little projects, as a test bed for ideas and modelling techniques. They are less likely to offend other members of the household and make for a decorative end product. Also, they are a lot of fun if you're not into running long trains round and round a circle, but just want to spend half an hour or so, playing trains.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

Regards, Bill

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

HI  been a bit of a gap but only just got back in to tinker ing again with the layout i have now put on the front board and painted it black and made a slot for the socket for the  NCE  cab control . just in case your thinking whats that loco  i got my irish 141 class out of its box the other day . and i think it looks farely at home . so may even give me some scope to change regions etc  if i feel like it  hope its aproved .

20190903_171343.jpg

20190903_171304.jpg

20190903_171222.jpg

• Like 13

PS  i forgot to say i have allso putt plaster bandaged to fill in the gap between bridge and front board  this will get the bush and grass treatment  when dry . in case you thought whats that pile of snow looking stuff . all good fun :rolleyes:

thank you all for yr encouraging  replys . now the front board is on its takeing shape . the good thing being a small layout its easy to work on and get a satisfy ing effect  quickly . have ing now changed over to use ing my NCE  powec cab controller i have a bit of re wire ing to do up to the socket before i can start running any traffic again . talking of traffic or motive power i have a couple of shunters  to get ready a janus wich needs the sound decoder re installing as it got borrowed for a Bachmann GE 70 tonner on one of my other layouts and i have a Heljan class 07 which i will probly re spray from br blue to a general industrial colour so i can use it freelance . may be ile get down to doing one of them at the week end . :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2019 at 09:03, kevo said:

Hi all . have ing got bogged down with the dreaded traverser problem . i kind of left the whole layout alone for a good few days . have ing been chatting with my long term railway buddy . he was looking at the layout and said your old 03 shunter would look good on there and this weekend haveing met up for a trip 2 a local expo  he handed me a bag with my old 03 in it  . it had conpletely slipped my mind we had done a swap  some time ago . he had no use for it so we agreed a deal and so now its back and i do like the size and look of it on the layout . so here is a few  pics . o yes there is a few changes bit of grass now laid    .

20190810_201310.jpg

20190810_201319.jpg

20190810_201343.jpg

20190810_201430.jpg

20190810_201443.jpg

20190810_201504.jpg

20190810_201546.jpg

I like the fact you’ve authentically put panels into the concrete.