DJM on DC

Guest Jack Benson

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:33, Chris Higgs said:

I won't be using my H&M Duettes  on coreless motors, even though they have no feedback...

Chris

I've used old fashioned 70s H&M Duettes on DJM coreless motor models with zero issues.

By contrast the DJM austerity I converted to DCC sound jumps all over the place under DCC control.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I've used old fashioned 70s H&M Duettes on DJM coreless motor models with zero issues.

By contrast the DJM austerity I converted to DCC sound jumps all over the place under DCC control.

Sounds like (ouch! sorry) it needs the motor control parameters adjusting to suit coreless motors. There are several depending on the decoder make fitted with some (eg Zimo) having specific recommended settings to use/try/start from. 

Izzy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Sounds like (ouch! sorry) it needs the motor control parameters adjusting to suit coreless motors. There are several depending on the decoder make fitted with some (eg Zimo) having specific recommended settings to use/try/start from. 

Izzy

The thing that is nuts is on a rolling road it behaves (with those settings). Its just when it meets track work. Chip is Loksound V4.

5 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

Even with the half-wave rectification?

Give it time, Give it time...

I avoid that like a plague. Granted I really must replace the couple of these things I have left. Now if people could stop annoucing new exciting goodies, I might be able to budget in a new controler!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Most probably. Only the austerity is a cow to get apart and put back togethor again!

No need to take apart, Zimo 6 pin decoder, sugar cube and stay alive all though the supplied smokebox door ;)

DSC_0168.JPG.e03d6b944c033c47fcddda6069d2db53.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG.32cffd88abaa0009c57c5c0d3b5a8a62.JPG

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

No need to take apart, Zimo 6 pin decoder, sugar cube and stay alive all though the supplied smokebox door ;)

In my case, I used a slightly bigger Loksound V4 and to complex matters, I added some weight to try and shift the centre of balance towards the centre of the loco (rather than the rear drivers).

post-15098-0-56882800-1489336020_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2019 at 08:18, Jack Benson said:

OK, thanks.

The general rule for coreless and better, modern motors is to use a handheld controller that is unavailable. 

Hmmm.......this leaves our group wondering what to do next, presumably there is a handheld controller that does not have feedback or PWM but is currently available? Does anyone offer an available handheld DC controller that meets with anyone's approval?

We just bought the Gaugemaster HH and an AGW PE100 handheld which work fine with our fairly modern Bachmann locos (after this episode, I doubt if we will even consider any DJM items)  We tried Gaugemaster's advice service but they seemed intent on steering towards the Combi and refused to answer any question about the Australian as it was intended only for the overseas market. Possibly their W Handheld might be suitable but we became wary of their responses and decided to ask on RMweb.

We rejected the Morley devices, as being rather strange - base unit and a handheld - and cannot find if KPC offer a suitable handheld???

Thanks, until we can find more suitable answers to our needs we will continue to use our HH and AGW controllers and merely restrict our motive power although we do have a Mashima driven loco 'in build' 

Cheers

JB

The PICtroller handheld is a PWM design suitable for coreless motors according to the description.

http://www.malcolmsminiatures.co.uk/PICHH+-+hand+held+PICtroller

In terms of variable voltage designs the Morley looks, from the build quality angle, excellent from what I see on Mike's strip down video on Youtube.

Edited by maico

Guest Jack Benson
On 8 August 2019 at 12:41, Jack Benson said:

Thanks for the advice,

A Gaugemaster W duly popped up and was snapped up. Just waiting for a new DIN plug to arrive, then I will report back with its performance set against their HH and the AGW.

JB

Hi,

I finally wired the Gaugemaster W and used it with the Bachmann Wickham and a kitbuilt loco fitted with a Mashima motordrive. Both worked faultlessly with not a hint of buzz or hum, the W handheld seems excellent value when compared to controllers that cost twice the price.

JB

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:05, D9020 Nimbus said:

Several Bachmann models in OO have coreless motors—the new versions of the Ivatt 2-6-2T and the V1/3 to name just two, together with many N gauge steam locos and the 009 Baldwin. There have been several reports on this forum and elsewhere of problems using such models with some feedback controllers at least.

AFAIK Bachmann don't as yet have an official position on this, though there have been several reports on this forum of issues with models—especially the 009 Baldwin—being allegedly blamed by Bachmann on the use of feedback controllers.

Does the Standard Class 3MT Tank have a coreless I thought all there 00 steam locos used normal 3 pole.

Edited by paul 27

I have a Pictroller for sale at the moment, Bought because I recently bought back some locos that I had built with portescap motors for someone who has since passed away. The locos work fine with the AMR controllers that were bought modified from AMR so the Pictroller is surplus to requirements, used only for testing, can fit different DIN plugs as necessary, instructions included.

Been testing various motors for another kit manufacturer and some are okay with feedback others not so.

Dave Franks.

I thought the Gaugemaster W controller was a straight controller, no feedback. I would use the W when a feedback controller acts up at certain exhibitions around the country due to a poor electricity supply, they seemed to work best at the Perth show and at their worse at Watford show all within weeks of each other....

I've found Gaugemaster HH feedback controller is a bit coarse for some modern motors so I'll be sticking to the modified  AMR ones I have.

Dave.

My DJM J94's works perfectly on DC using a Gaugemaster controller that is 15+ years old, it is DCC I have the problem with it has run faultlessly for hours in each direction on the rolling road, fit a DCC decoder it runs then randomly slows down and stops then starts again, DC running is normally turned off on my locos but I enabled it as I was going to use the loco on a small DC shunting layout, the loco would lurch forward on the DCC test track even when not selected then stop and repeat the process at random intervals, 3 different makes of decoder were tried all with the same results, loco reverted back to DC and runs perfectly, decoders tested and run on decoder tester for at least an hour in each direction with no problems, the loco is going to be replaced with a Hornby J94 when funds permit.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:05, D9020 Nimbus said:

Several Bachmann models in OO have coreless motors—the new versions of the Ivatt 2-6-2T and the V1/3 to name just two, together with many N gauge steam locos and the 009 Baldwin. There have been several reports on this forum and elsewhere of problems using such models with some feedback controllers at least.

AFAIK Bachmann don't as yet have an official position on this, though there have been several reports on this forum of issues with models—especially the 009 Baldwin—being allegedly blamed by Bachmann on the use of feedback controllers.

Did not know the new Ivatt and VI/3  used Coreless motors does this apply to the new 3mt tank.

Edited by paul 27

On 09/10/2019 at 01:12, paul 27 said:

How did you modify yours Dave, don't suppose you can with the Gaugemaster  Feedbacks.

At the time one could specify to AMR the controllers that you wanted and what motors you were running, in my case Mashimas. The modified controllers have been very good with all sorts of motors including Portescap as mentioned.

Dave Franks.

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Is there a connection between the AMR and Gaugemaster handheld product? I have used both and found them similar in both style and performance however I have recently become a satisfied user of the non-feedback Gaugemaster W handheld.

Cheers 

JB