Hattons / Bachmann New Stock / cancelled pre-orders (07 Aug)

woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

Some of it Hatton’s got from Bachmann before the hiatus. The other stuff doesn’t strike me as the width of range Hatton’s would be likely to get if relations were normalised. Wouldn’t Hatton’s make an announcement too, even if to only say they will be getting new Bachmann stock again. They’d want people to know.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Some of it Hatton’s got from Bachmann before the hiatus. The other stuff doesn’t strike me as the width of range Hatton’s would be likely to get if relations were normalised. Wouldn’t Hatton’s make an announcement too, even if to only say they will be getting new Bachmann stock again. They’d want people to know.

Neither Bachmann nor Hattons have actually said anything publicly about their issues (much to the frustrations to RMweb members who like a good bit of gossiping, etc) for very sound Commerical reasons.

As such neither party is going to start shouting 'hey, the dispute which we never acknowledged is now over' are they?

Also although some Bachmann new releases may be coming through that does not mean there are not issues still to be resolved - and making too much of a big deal about it now could jeopardise what has been achieved so far.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Neither Bachmann nor Hattons have actually said anything publicly about their issues (much to the frustrations to RMweb members who like a good bit of gossiping, etc) for very sound Commerical reasons.

As such neither party is going to start shouting 'hey, the dispute which we never acknowledged is now over' are they?

Also although some Bachmann new releases may be coming through that does not mean there are not issues still to be resolved - and making too much of a big deal about it now could jeopardise what has been achieved so far.

I don't know, even someone with my low level of tact and diplomacy could probably knock out a 'Hattons are pleased to announce the arrival of the new ...... from Bachmann' which would signal to those who suspect some glitch that all was well and yet gives no hint of any past problems.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

16 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Now is it unsold items from another retailer or have they resolved their differences with Bachmann, hopefully it is the latter.

I notice they have the Class 47/7 47714 in Anglia livery - Limited Edition of 512 for Eastern UK Bachmann retailers. Does this suggest that it is unsold items from another retailer as Hattons are based in the north west rather than the east?

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Keith J said:

I notice they have the Class 47/7 47714 in Anglia livery - Limited Edition of 512 for Eastern UK Bachmann retailers. Does this suggest that it is unsold items from another retailer as Hattons are based in the north west rather than the east?

Hmm, the day before they put in the 37 that was a Trains4U exclusive so perhaps this is their source.

Certainly since last September there has been a lot of fluidity in who sells what with Hattons picking up a lot of surplus from Kernow of their own commssioned models as well as Hattons supplying their own models across the UK shop network.  Olivia's also use Hattons for their surpluses (76/77/BOC tankers).

Nope, not for that lot.

Richard offered to take a small number of excess DB 37s from us, but that is all

There are a few things in that list I wish we still had in stock.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

Nope, not for that lot.

Richard offered to take a small number of excess DB 37s from us, but that is all

There are a few things in that list I wish we still had in stock.

Which hopefully means this is the beginning of that stock that Hattons said Bachmann had stockpiled for them is coming through.

• RMweb Gold

Both companies are big, big players in their respective fields - which may have overlapped to an unfortunate extent - so it is to our advantage for peace to have broken out. Meanwhile, other Bachmann agents will have done quite nicely, thankyou, and may now be pulling their belts in a notch. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Which hopefully means this is the beginning of that stock that Hattons said Bachmann had stockpiled for them is coming through.

Where did this idea Bachmann was stockpiling items for Hatton’s come from? If Bachmann stopped supplying Hatton’s or any other retailer for whatever reason, would they really retain stock to be shipped later? Which could end up being a very long time. What would be the point of ceasing supplies if you’ve already agreed to keep that stock to be supplied later? I really can’t see it. If relations did not normalise, or say the retailer ceased trading, Bachmann would have a whole lot of stock still to be shifted. They would also have the cost of holding on to it. They need income from sales to fund new, so will want to sell out as quickly as possible by selling to any other retailer that placed an order.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Where did this idea Bachmann was stockpiling items for Hatton’s come from? If Bachmann stopped supplying Hatton’s or any other retailer for whatever reason, would they really retain stock to be shipped later? Which could end up being a very long time. What would be the point of ceasing supplies if you’ve already agreed to keep that stock to be supplied later? I really can’t see it. If relations did not normalise, or say the retailer ceased trading, Bachmann would have a whole lot of stock still to be shifted. They would also have the cost of holding on to it. They need income from sales to fund new, so will want to sell out as quickly as possible by selling to any other retailer that placed an order.

It was mentioned somewhere....

The fact that some of the items that have appeared are ones that have long since sold out at other retailers does justify that idea.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Neil said:

I don't know, even someone with my low level of tact and diplomacy could probably knock out a 'Hattons are pleased to announce the arrival of the new ...... from Bachmann' which would signal to those who suspect some glitch that all was well and yet gives no hint of any past problems.

And the lack thereof perhaps suggests that some aspects of whatever had (allegedly:scratchhead:) gone wrong between them are yet to be fully resolved, even if some progress has been made. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Withholding items can be a useful barging chip in negotiations - if the supplier simply flogs them to others as soon as possible it removes a key incentive for resolution to be arranged. It can also help focus minds in as 'if we haven't made progress by xx then we will have to look a reallocating stock previously reserved for you'

As has been sated both Bachmann and Hattons need each other and as such both parties will have been looking for ways to resolve their differences amicably - not walk away from each other for good. Bachmann withholding deliveries (as opposed to cancelling them) will have helped in this.

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It has been mentioned a couple of times on another forum that the stock response from Hattons is that Bachmann are holding the orders.  I have no reason to believe that isn't the case and neither Bachmann or Hattons are likely to enter into a discussion with us on it, so all we can do is watch and wait and when we see crumbs of a resolution show how pleased we are.

• RMweb Gold

When I was at the Crewe event in June, I spoke to one of the Hatton’s team who will remain nameless but let’s just say, they were having a meeting with Bachmann later in the month.  They were confident of resolving all the issues as Hatton’s is a huge mover of Bachmann products and their embargo possibly was hurting Bachmann more than Hatton’s.

As to the Anglia Class 47, they have been keeping the shelves of model shops warm for ages as no one seems to be interested, so Hatton’s have probably been picking them up from dealers at cost price and as for the Trains4U 37, their palming them off to anyone showing interest.  Remember, they’ve got 500 to shift.

I’m glad that Hatton’s and Bachmann have resolved their issues and we can feel confident of getting the items we’ve pre ordered.

Edited by jools1959

On 04/07/2019 at 02:53, woodenhead said:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/new.aspx

Interesting - Hattons have some Bachmann on it's new stock listing.

Now is it unsold items from another retailer or have they resolved their differences with Bachmann, hopefully it is the latter.

Simple way to get the info is via the Hattons "New Releases" tab filtering for Bachmann

This is subtitled "This page lists products which have recently come into stock, come back into stock after temporarily selling out, or have had significant price reductions."

A quick check gave me 45 new items this week! No need for further speculation.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
typo

6 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Simple way to get the info is via the Hattons "New Releases" tab filtering for Bachmann

This is subtitled "This page lists products which have recently come into stock, come back into stock after temporarily selling out, or have had significant price reductions."

A quick check gave me 45 new items this week! No need for further speculation.

Colin

Hi,

So how does that quote from the Hattons website answer the question of whether the items are from another retailer or directly from Bachmann?.

Regards

Nick 

6 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

So how does that quote from the Hattons website answer the question of whether the items are from another retailer or directly from Bachmann?.

Regards

Nick 

Do other retailers have stock levels that number in the thousands? Only possibly three or four do. Hattons, Kernow, Rails, TMC, Olivias (maybe),

If you add up those 45 items at "more than ten" then think how much space they would take up in a normal retailer. This is a HGV full of stock. They aren't getting that amount of stock from elsewhere.

Jason

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Regards

Nick 

it doesn't and whilst seeing Bachmann items there is good, maybe this still isn't from Bachmann, no Farish so far for example.

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

it doesn't and whilst seeing Bachmann items there is good, maybe this still isn't from Bachmann, no Farish so far for example.

Presumably if they have sorted the issue out - and the numbers coming in sugeets they have - stock will be sent gradually. I cant see Bachmann flooding Hattons with everything - they won't have space for it all at once. Don't forget then Hattons have to sort through the order, check the delivery matches the paperwork, photograph any new models since the stand off and upload to the website. They won't have a lot of people to do this.

Chances are they are doing the more popular OO gauge first before they get to the N gauge which doesn't sell as fast

• Like 1