Hattons / Bachmann New Stock / cancelled pre-orders (07 Aug)

woodenhead

I know I am now contradicting my own OP.

These items may have come from another retailer and Olivia's has them all in stock on their website, Trains4U as an alternative would like to have these models to sell but don't.

I am not saying that these haven't come direct from Bachmann but there is a possibility they have come from another retailer who has surplus stock and it is not unknown for Hattons to sell Olivia's stock - 76/77/BOC tankers

• Agree 1

DB Models closed down last month - they had an eBay fire sale, selling vast quantities of accessories - but not rolling stock.  And they had spent a LOT of money with Bachmann in the last 18 months.  Stocked up to take on Rails and Hattons, but the customers never came.   (East of England, hence the Anglia 47s)     That's another possibility?   

Olivias are also classified as East of England, and they have dumped excess on Hattons previously.

We can all speculate, but there are a lot of old items in the list (Hornby Virgin 225s for example)   Which makes me wonder if it is retail stock.

We can only speculate.   We'll know for sure if/when new releases from the last month start to appear.    there will be people at Hattons reading this, bemused at how people are tying themselves in knots trying to figure out what's going on.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Agree 2

To be honest I'd be surprised if Hattons are really that bothered.  Apart from a couple of items like the Class 90's - is there really that much in the range that is really that important, or at a price point that sells in vast quantity.  A new Class 47 and Class 37 will come along by someone sooner or later, steam - there has been loads of that on clearance at different stockists.  Are they really missing that much?

If you read the Barwell companies trade terms -  The most probable reason that this situation has arisen is quite obvious.  I think the big question is, what it says about the manufacturer.......

Regards,

C.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, dogbox321 said:

To be honest I'd be surprised if Hattons are really that bothered.  Apart from a couple of items like the Class 90's - is there really that much in the range that is really that important, or at a price point that sells in vast quantity.  A new Class 47 and Class 37 will come along by someone sooner or later, steam - there has been loads of that on clearance at different stockists.  Are they really missing that much?

If you read the Barwell companies trade terms -  The most probable reason that this situation has arisen is quite obvious.  I think the big question is, what it says about the manufacturer.......

Regards,

C.

Missing much? A few million pounds worth of sales I would reckon.

Don't forget Hattons have a turnover of between £10 to £25 million a year.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview/Working-at-Hattons-Model-Railways-EI_IE1537076.11,33.htm

Jason

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Missing much? A few million pounds worth of sales I would reckon.

Don't forget Hattons have a turnover of between £10 to £25 million a year.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview/Working-at-Hattons-Model-Railways-EI_IE1537076.11,33.htm

Jason

Yes, but at Sale of the century prices your not making much!   Irrespective of that - based on cash tied up on Bachmann stocks, perhaps they can make more doing their own things, have control over production........

The only reason for the sales area exclusives, are just to try to sell a few more locos - A re-hash of the Lima limited editions of the 90's.  And I think someone used to work for Riko!

Regards,

C

Just checked Hattons new stock levels and they are showing zero Farish Steam stock and only a handful of Farish Diesel stock, mainly classes 66 and 37 everything else is showing as pre order. So no sign the dispute has been resolved for the N-Guage modellers at least.

Paul

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Free At Last said:

...but they have now.

Which poses a question, as they are off the list and Bachmann will only honour warranties on purchases from approved retailers does that mean the 39 or so OO gauge diesels on stock brand new will not be covered and you will have to pay for any repairs?

5 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

Which poses a question, as they are off the list and Bachmann will only honour warranties on purchases from approved retailers ...?

If you have a problem with an item you've bought from a retailer, you simply go back to the retailer and require them to make you happy.  The manufacturer's stance vis-a-vis the retailer is relevant only to the retailer.

• Agree 5

Just had an email from Hattons re: my pre-order for a Bachmann Class 24/1 to say that they cannot fulfil the order and thus has been cancelled. Phoned to see whether it was as a result of too many pre-orders but Hattons have said that they will not be honouring any Bachmann pre-orders so presume that Bachmann are not going to be sending stock any time soon.

• RMweb Premium

Seems clear then . They've failed to reach agreement .  So if you want Bachmann go elsewhere .  As others have said though , there's really not that much coming through on OO, don't know much about Farish , so I don't think its going to hurt Hattons overly much .  And the way for Hattons is now clear.  Bachmann may well regret this.

Interestingly it maybe also explains Hattons move into scenics as presumably Woodland Scenics , being part of Bachmann, will no longer be available .

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the Hatton's vs Bachmann situation is now regarded as indefinite/permanent (at least by Hatton's).

Enquiring for "Future Releases" comes up with a list of manufacturers in which Bachmann is no longer included. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Verulam Central said:

They need to sort this issue out as its cost them sales now.   

6 minutes ago, CHARLIE5 said:

I will avoid further purchases from this source until Hattons/Bachmann sort this.

There is no point in making any demands to 'sort things out', Hattons have taken this step to give customers clarity on the position as the situation had not been resolved so that customers now know where they stand.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Which poses a question, as they are off the list and Bachmann will only honour warranties on purchases from approved retailers does that mean the 39 or so OO gauge diesels on stock brand new will not be covered and you will have to pay for any repairs?

I have clarified the position with Bachmann. If a customer has bought a model from a retailer (as new, directly supplied stock) who is either defunct, no longer an account holder or stock purchased from Bachmann before any supply ceased then the model is still covered by the Bachmann warranty. In such circumstances it's always advisable to retain proof of purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Surely this is just Hatton’s doing the right thing for their customers. If Bachmann are not going to supply them then they can’t fulfil any pre orders so makes sense to cancel these so everyone knows where they stand. It doesn’t affect any existing Bachmann stuff they have in stock so no reason not to purchase that if it’s what you want.

• Agree 12

14 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

The email will have been sent to all Hattons customers who have Bachmann pre-orders, I don't think ....

You'd have thought so, though I haven’t received one. However, the Bachmann pre-orders have all been deleted from my Hattons account. 

Paul