Hattons / Bachmann New Stock / cancelled pre-orders (07 Aug)

woodenhead

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Why would the demand for Bachmann products reduce just because they have to be purchased from someone other than Hattons?

People can be very finicky in their purchasing, preferring to shop at one store only.  If a B'mann item is unavailable from say Hattons and considering the increasing prices on B'mann items then some may prefer an alternative  manufacturer from the store.  All an unknown.  Bachmann may be pressing home a point given that several retailers now are commissioning exclusive items  from say a non-Bachmann source and could possibly wholesale those items.  Bachmann is playing hardball to show these other dealers that they are willing to cut off supply.  In reality,  I feel Bachmann are shooting themselves in the foot with their hardline attitude to their distributors using Hattons as an example of what to expect.  Is Bachmann an endangered species or will they back down?  Hattons have shown that they have the finance and the talent and expertise to deliver new product,  however, it remains to be seen how far the other Bachmann distributors are to wave a red flag at Bachmann should they decide to wholesale their commissioned items.

Olivias Trains seems to regularly offload exclusive Bachmann items to other stores so what is to stop other stores offloading overstock on non-Bachmann items?  could this be viewed as wholesaling?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

People can be very finicky in their purchasing, preferring to shop at one store only.  If a B'mann item is unavailable from say Hattons and considering the increasing prices on B'mann items then some may prefer an alternative  manufacturer from the store. 

Fine as long as they want a class 66. If a Pullman set, C Class or coal tank is what you desire, could you suggest an alternative?

Not everyone just wants a new, shiny box and cares nothing for the contents.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Wheres_Wally said:

Fine as long as they want a class 66. If a Pullman set, C Class or coal tank is what you desire, could you suggest an alternative?

Not everyone just wants a new, shiny box and cares nothing for the contents.

You are trivialising a serious issue.  No one made mention of shiny new boxes and caring nought for the contents.  Thread drift seems more your intent.  Perhaps if their favourite store cannot supply then they can either choose something else (an alternative), not buy the item or possibly go to eBay or another store or perhaps await a pre-owned item to appear.  As I stated, not everyone is simply going to transfer their purchase to another store.  

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

People can be very finicky in their purchasing, preferring to shop at one store only.  If a B'mann item is unavailable from say Hattons and considering the increasing prices on B'mann items then some may prefer an alternative  manufacturer from the store. 

The vast majority of modellers who want a Bachmann item will take their custom elsewhere. I acknowledge that some modellers, particularly those from overseas may not. The people (note people, not modellers) who are most likely to accept a product from a different manufacturer, are those who are looking to pick up a model as a present for a relative or friend. I suspect that this market does not make up a large part of Hattons turnover. 

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Secondly, regarding T&C's in supply contracts.  Several years ago, possibly in response from overseas distributors of  Hornby products to limit grey imports, Hornby introduced a new policy for UK model shops that they were not to supply foreign countries.  Well that obviously seems to have been forgotten as I experienced no disruption in my purchases of Hornby items from the UK.   Manufacturers can ignore breaches in their terms and conditions when it suits them to do so.

That was Hornby’s Nadir. They introduced several draconian new terms.

This was met by a raft of account cancellations and widespread ignoring or refusal to sign the new terms.

I sent back mine with many of the terms crossed out (it is an agreement after all) and was never challenged, so I assume it was accepted by accounts.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The crux of the matter is that, if one wishes to pre-order Bachmann items, it is no longer possible to do so through Hatton's so one must go elsewhere.

They've been quite open, perhaps blunt, about it and their invitation to consider an alternative from their remaining brands is just that, an invitation.

According to ones prototype interests, that may or may not be feasible, but that will vary according to the individual customer.

It is also up to the individual whether he/she is sufficiently offended by the manner of Hatton's informing them to foreswear ever darkening their door again.

All that has happened is a confirmation of what many already expected and Hatton's have informed everyone affected. Some are OK with it, some vociferously not so, and others were ahead of the curve, having already made alternative arrangements.

Is there really any more to be said?   

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• AY Mod locked this topic