Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Canopy Nudging

Have you decided who is Judging the Nudging yet Kevin?

And more importantly, what qualifications would one need to become a Canopy Nudging Judge?

And can one do it whilst laying down, as I do like to rest in the afternoons?

I once had a Canopy that had been nudged, it was judged to have been Nudged on purpose and so was disqualified from the Nudging Judging competition, I'll try again next Spring.

Meanwhile,, back in the REAL WORLD.:o

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

When does a nudge become a shunt? 

When it gets its wheels. Static nudges are fairly sedate affairs, involving very little momentum. Once mobility increases to the extent that the nudger moves further than the nudgee, the whole concept changes. As you so rightly point out, a shunt and a nudge are dictinctly separate, but you have to bear in mind they do involve similar actions and reactions, so could quite easily be confused, were it not for the level of momentum involved.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I just don't get any of this. I wish I was clever like you lot.

That would never do. There's clever and there's clever, but you'd be better off just being clever, my captain.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

When it gets its wheels. Static nudges are fairly sedate affairs, involving very little momentum. Once mobility increases to the extent that the nudger moves further than the nudgee, the whole concept changes. As you so rightly point out, a shunt and a nudge are dictinctly separate, but you have to bear in mind they do involve similar actions and reactions, so could quite easily be confused, were it not for the level of momentum involved.

I see. Progressing naturally then.........ish.

If we have fly shunting, I would say that it would have to be preceded by some judicious fly nudging, which is still frowned upon in parts of Northumberland. 

Therefore caution is required at all times.  

Edited by NHY 581
Clarity.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

I see. Progressing naturally then.........ish.

If we have fly shunting, I would say we are teetering on the edge of fly nudging, which is still frowned upon in parts of Northumberland. 

Fly nudging? That's a bit near the knuckle, isn't it?  I think you'll find it's frowned upon in more places than Northumberland. Staffordshire, for sure, and maybe Warwickshire as well. Mostly because of the people who live in these places.

And what's all this natural stuff about, then? Progressive nudging is to be applauded, not ridiculed.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Fly nudging? That's a bit near the knuckle, isn't it?  I think you'll find it's frowned upon in more places than Northumberland. Staffordshire, for sure, and maybe Warwickshire as well. Mostly because of the people who live in these places.

And what's all this natural stuff about, then? Progressive nudging is to be applauded, not ridiculed.

Of course but one must be mindful of where such nudging can progress to. 

Please note; Under no circumstances should fly nudging be attempted when wearing corduroy trousers. 

I would refer any interested parties to the Bagshot incident of 1906 which was attributed to spontaneous combustion. 

I shall say no more. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Of course but one must be mindful of where such nudging can progress to. 

Please note; Under no circumstances should fly nudging be attempted when wearing corduroy trousers. 

I would refer any interested parties to the Bagshot incident of 1906 which was attributed to spontaneous combustion. 

I shall say no more. 

Prey do...!!!!??

40 minutes ago, KNP said:

Prey do...!!!!??

I say....

One doesn't speak of Bagshot. After all, the Duke of Denver paid up, and the negatives have disappeared, so the evidence is no longer available

Just don't stand under the east end of the Down canopy in a strong wind

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I wish I was.

Can you get pills to make you clever?

Yes. Go to your local pharmacy and ask for some Clever Pills. You will either be served with some placebo nitrate or  a certificate. If the latter, it will be inscribed, "Nudger from RMweb".

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Yes. Go to your local pharmacy and ask for some Clever Pills. You will either be served with some placebo nitrate or  a certificate. If the latter, it will be inscribed, "Nudger from RMweb".

I'll do that directly.

I feel so happy now.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I just don't get any of this. I wish I was clever like you lot.

By the way, I was expecting to see you here. It just took a bit longer than I anticipated. You are most welcome, nonetheless, moderators notwithstanding.

7 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I am not sure this thread is really for or about clever people. Nudging canopies is rarely, if ever, clever.

You've been mislead by these pictures of incompetent nudgers and poor nudging. True nudging should be impossible to see until after the photographer has left

This is the sign of a skilful nudger

Richard

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RLWP said:

You've been mislead by these pictures of incompetent nudgers and poor nudging. True nudging should be impossible to see until after the photographer has left

This is the sign of a skilful nudger

Richard

Fair point. I will suggest it as a possible course at Missenden Abbey. I can think of an ideal tutor.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see this becoming like 'planking' with people taking ever more extreme nudge selfies until someone pushes it too far and does it while the paint is wet and gets enamel on their Nudget, try explaining that to the Nurse! :) 

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I find fly nudging a problem as the nudgee tends to fly off before the nudger can get into a suitable position to nudge. 

Now with a big swatter it is easier to shunt them as they definitely gain momentum. 

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

21 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I can see this becoming like 'planking' with people taking ever more extreme nudge selfies until someone pushes it too far and does it while the paint is wet and gets enamel on their Nudget, try explaining that to the Nurse! :) 

Knowing my luck, I'd end up stuck to the paint

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I find fly nudging a problem as the nudgee tends to fly off before the nudger can get into a suitable position to nudge. 

Now with a big swatter it is easier to shunt them as they definitely gain momentum. 

Andy

Ah! A classic faux pas. The confusing of fly shunting with fly swatting,  symptomatic of over nudging. 

• Agree 2