GWR Y1 fruit van thought at first a Siphon O1 four wheeled short type kit.

On 14/07/2019 at 13:58, timbowilts said:

I’m intrigued by this comment. AFAIK such a vehicle wouldn’t have had a stove so no chimney. Could it have been an oil lamp top instead?

Tim T

Modelling South Wales branches in EM

Looking in; Atkins/Beard/Tourret as a very general, broad seeping observation the Y1 was taller/higher than the Y2 but on face value the rest of it was the same. I appreciate that there will be slight prototypical detail differences but in terms of modelling a general wagon I think the end product is a decent representation although I wish I had started the thread prior to opening up those relief areas. The wagon is near completion just need to paint the wagon sides but this part will have to wait until the airbrush gets angered once more.

Here's the near finished item. It needs screw-link couplings and transfers but those will have to wait for winter. Those of you that have read my other threads will know my hate of applying transfers. I think maybe I am getting the hang of airbrushing as well!

DSCF9353.JPG.5e8a46520588deaa01392a915378bb6d.JPG DSCF9354.JPG.9a73a28e5aa8ab4bd040b5e1623d561f.JPG

Well a big thank you to everyone for stopping me make a horrendous error when originally thinking of making this wagon into a short siphon. I think the outcome is a presentable one at least. I have pictured the other mink that adopted the chassis that was originally intended for the 'siphon', it does show a good comparison to the differing heights. Sorry for the poor pictures.

DSCF9352.JPG.4960832182b1a3436a489b0fae2b19e3.JPG DSCF9356.JPG.0d48cf9ead879ef38f5bfbe2cd12e605.JPG

On to the next unfinished builds and of course the layout!

Thank you again RMWebbers you saved the day!!!!!:yahoo_mini:

• Like 3

On 14/07/2019 at 13:58, timbowilts said:

I’m intrigued by this comment. AFAIK such a vehicle wouldn’t have had a stove so no chimney. Could it have been an oil lamp top instead?

Tim T

Modelling South Wales branches in EM

Yes, it's the cover for a lamp.

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Was the provenance of this kit ever identified? Kirk? Westykits?

The only product reference I could find on my internet travels was that of David Green but I believe his kit has only been whitemetal. There is also a 7mm kit in brass by Walsall Model Industries. I have found no link to a plastic injection mould kit for Great western it may have originated from another railway company and been married to a Cooper Craft chassis and placed in that kit bag by the previous owner. I have no idea.

The provenance is sorted. Having looked at what I assume was the original listing for this item (and having acquired a lower height van kit in a similar state from the same eBay seller out of interest) I can confirm that it was originally a Coopercraft tall Mink kit that the previous owner had started to convert to a fruit van by carving the additional vents into the sides and ends. He had actually made a much better job of it than I reckon I could have achieved, though I accept the vents are probably more pronounced than they should be.. 

Ken...

Edited by Oil-burner
remove Y2 reference
  • Informative/Useful 1