Hattons J24

DougN

If I was to recommend a move to Hattons it would be to switch this from the J24 to the J21 and J25, combined.

Firstly in terms of prototype, both the J21 and J25 are more numerous than the J24. The 24 had 70 engines in the class and was retired much earlier than the other two stablemates. All of these were gone by 1952 as other steam engines were, to coin a current term, cascaded to other areas or duties. J25 meanwhile had 120 and J21 had a huge 201 engines made. Some of the latter made it to the end of steam, with them being dispensable on some routes until new engines were made to take over.  So in terms of class numbers and volume they stand comfortably above several other engines that have been made in models, but had a much smaller area to operate or didn't last as long. Don't forget even during grouping years, J25 went to near Bristol and J21 around Norwich.

In terms of the model, the number of the class means that repeat sales is more likely. If an engine was quite numerous then your going to want more than one of these. This is better for sales of volume as some choices get narrower as more models are produced. The model can also go from pre-grouping to end of steam, hitting multiple areas of interest, including preservation for 65033, which is set to be overhauled and thus could return as the new model is commissioned. The model also has livery variation and the classic quintessential lines of a steam engine that would see it in grouping liveries such as NER green, match or even exceed the popularity of the Wainwright C-class that suddenly proved interesting to others for the same reasons.

If the model is made, given new methods, I believe that tooling could incorporate the differences between the two, much like Hornby obviously planned for the details in the P2. Here, the chances are much more subtle, but scaled down the wheel size difference would be negligible. Tender, boiler and frames would all be identical. The cab front of the J21 has a small spalsher on the lower front meeting the frame, but the cab sides and roof would be the same. A different part used for each could accomplish both, especially if using the cab front, you needed minor details to raise the boiler for the J25.

In all, I think its interesting that someone like Hatton's might even be thinking of something North Eastern, but it shows that the area can be popular. Naturally, I of all people, will watch developments here with interest and hope they do pursue the option of the model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

If I was to recommend a move to Hattons it would be to switch this from the J24 to the J21 and J25, combined.

I think you are missing the point.

This is about Hattons dream list.

I am sure they know the history of the J21.

I am also sure that either they or another outfit has it well up the thinking about list.

It might even be rather more advanced than that.

From that view point the J24 does make sense.

Rather in the same way as a Caley Jumbo to follow the Rails Caley offering.

It well be a nice follow on from the J21/J25.

Bernard

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I think you are missing the point.

This is about Hattons dream list.

I am sure they know the history of the J21.

I am also sure that either they or another outfit has it well up the thinking about list.

It might even be rather more advanced than that.

From that view point the J24 does make sense.

Rather in the same way as a Caley Jumbo to follow the Rails Caley offering.

It well be a nice follow on from the J21/J25.

Bernard

I take your point, but it would be nice to think that J21 and J25 were being developed, but so far theres no guarantee. It would be nice if that were the case, or that also you think J21 is "well up the thinking about list." 

• Like 1

I have been thinking about why Hattons would go through the process this way. It makes sense to see how much noise is created when compared to the wish lists that the team do every year or 2.  We have woodenhead saying the process won't produce it. We have others suggesting a step to the left or right (the blackhat) for a better proposition and then others happy with the proposal. Therefore Hattons have achieved their goal and no doubt will announce something in the longer term. 

There was was a long topic on NER locomotives and reasoned argument was encouraged which really did produce what the blackhat suggested for the J class the j21/24 if possible I doubt that any manufacturer would do a combined model of the 2 as they are similar but not the same. I can not see how the chassis can be done with 2 axle spacing let along different sizes splashers and a different cab front. Yes I would love to be proven wrong and have both available. Yes it would solve all of my motive power requests for my imagined NER secondary mainline other than a D20 or B16. Which would practically stop me building all my kits in P4 which is what I have been doing but not getting too far into. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think that I can guarantee Hattons  releasing a J24 - it will be just a couple of days after I complete my own model using ArthurK's beautiful J24 kit...

:wacko:

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, MarkC said:

I think that I can guarantee Hattons  releasing a J24 - it will be just a couple of days after I complete my own model using ArthurK's beautiful J24 kit...

:wacko:

Mark

Maybe, but it's better than them releasing one when you're mid way through and causing a halt to proceedings! I'm on the go with his J71 at the moment, another wonderful kit, and I'm more than a little aware that there aren't too many differences between the 71 and the 72, soon to come from Bachmann, I won't be surprised at all for one to be announced!

As to the topic at hand, imagine my surprise when I stumbled across the topic heading, I thought I'd missed some sort of big announcement, not just a wishlisty type thing on Hattons' website. 

I'd be surprised, but not shocked if this was to come as a shop comission, or actual product, as the small fleet number lends itself to such production, let the bigger boys do the J21 and J25, where they can get the batch numbers and repeat sales in more easily. 

I can go back to calming myself with Wordsell brake gear now that I know I don't need to find any funds just yet!

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...