Screw link couplings

It has been a while since I fitted screw link couplings (cosmetic use only) as in recent times Bachmann have supplied a half decent fitting to glue on. I now need a pair of couplings for a loco not supplied with them. I always thought that the Romford items obtained in the past were a bit over scale so was hoping somebody might know of a more 00 scale product. Thanks in anticipation.

There is a product by "Smiths" stocked by various folk includung H&A of Wellingborough and Wizard models (MSE).

They also do 3 -link and Instater variants. They come in packs of 4 pairs from around £6 IIRC, that's for the unassembled which I use, they may do assembled which cost more.

They can be used in operation, as well as looking OK.

John.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Smiths or Ambis ones for me - look fine enough yet still useable under exhibition conditions.

Cheaper to buy Smiths unassembled, takes maybe 5 minutes max to make up each coupling using a set of fine round-nosed pliers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back in the day when my hand-eye co-ordination was up to it, I used Smiths screw and instanters; easy to install, and reliable, and the appearance is acceptable.  But you need to have an occasional check of the screws that the d links are not spreading out of the central t piece.

• RMweb Gold

The SLW ones are pretty good - but currently out of stock

Have got some from Accurascale and they are pretty darn good - fine and robust - but maybe the link attached to the hook is a  tad long. Look far better than Smiths - but cosmetic only on our locos.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I almost always use Smiths hooks these days. Although they are overscale, I cannot emphasise enough how important it is, if using this type of coupling, to have something that you can work with and use without too much trouble, especially at an exhibition.

I make my own ball weight parts up from annealed brass lace-making pins and I have recently started using some steel Exactoscale 'D' links for the lower links, purely because I can then use them with a magnetic coupling pole.

I have assembled the Masokits ones in the past and they are still fitted to some of my locos, but I tend not to try to drop a link over the Masokits hooks these days, unless I've got a lot of spare time on my hands and no one is looking.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I must try them.

I had a set of really nice etched ones from Roxey.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/465/4a111-screw-link-couplings/

There are also some from MJT/Dart.

Jason

I'd forgotten that Roxey do an etch for screw couplings. These assemble like the Smith's ones and are particularly useful as they include a long link. If you use them in operation this can be invaluable with some types of buffers where you need a longer coupling.

John.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I'd forgotten that Roxey do an etch for screw couplings. These assemble like the Smith's ones and are particularly useful as they include a long link. If you use them in operation this can be invaluable with some types of buffers where you need a longer coupling.

John.

The Masokits ones also come with an option to use a long link or use a normal length link on both sides. i've used the longer link on the pic above (the one attached to the coupling hook)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
14 hours ago, rovex said:

Are the ones sold by Hornby and presumably used on their new locos any good or are they purely cosmetic and no good for hauling trains?

It's they R7200 I mean.

I would say no use for hauling trains as they don't flex from side to side. You may be able to fit them and use the hook to hold a working coupling from the attached vehicle.

They do look OK cosmetically, and some of my steam locos have them as dummy front couplings which aren't going to be used operationally.

John.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any readily made screw link coupling that can be used in rakes of vans?

ive recently bought a load of Smiths LP5-A as I use Smiths assembled 3 links and Instanter couplings in rakes but the screw link doesnt give on curves like the 3 links. I dont want to use 3 links on vans and wagons that would have had screw links.

ive also tried Accurascale but with the same results..

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK no, not that will cope with setrack curves or low radius in general.  My recommendation for any curves below about 2' radius is to use tension locks which will prevent buffer lock by holding the vehicles apart with the bar loops, and allow sideways play of the hooks.  For permanently fixed rakes the best IMHO are the Bill Bedford/Mousa solid couplings, if they are still available.

26 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Is there any readily made screw link coupling that can be used in rakes of vans?

ive recently bought a load of Smiths LP5-A as I use Smiths assembled 3 links and Instanter couplings in rakes but the screw link doesnt give on curves like the 3 links. I dont want to use 3 links on vans and wagons that would have had screw links.

ive also tried Accurascale but with the same results..

Forgive the question, but are you sure? My vans and fitted stock generally have this product and are fine in operation, curves are 27'' minumum radius.

The only thing I am wondering is that Smiths now do two sorts of screw links. The old pattern, which I use and prefer have a pin that goes through the centre link to make what I think is called the "tommy bar", the thing used to wind and tighten the coupling on the real thing. The later design have an etch that rather unconvincingly IMHO includes this "tommy bar". However I don't see that this should really make much difference to going around curves.

John.

These are the ones. Ive only opened one pack and some look like they should do the job others seem tight and as if the first link is too small as it catches the etched centre part. Look like they will go round one curve but in a reverse curve I think they will snag. They also seem to pop apart easily.

ive been fitting just as many Smiths 3 links and instanters to my unfitted stock recently with no problems as I say. Both the normal and fine types.
I went all in and ordered this many screw links, so you can see how many vans and fitted stock ill be running. I should have tried one first.

I think part of the problem is model railway hooks don't swing side to side like the prototype.

21711751-BCF2-490E-8B5C-53107E52D7E3.jpeg.b3d3fa443a5852a2a99f1994fc3f6515.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1