Gaugemaster Collection - OO and N Scale Track Cleaning Wagons Available Soon

Gaugemaster Controls

OO Scale

GM4430101.jpg.e1cd05ecedaea4b6de40448149a24614.jpg

This is the evergreen PIKO Track Cleaning vehicle with a modern British twist.

Fitted with NEM tension lock couplings, this vehicle is hauled around your layout and dust is collected by the track cleaning pads mounted underneath the wagon.

This wagon is in no way prototypical but will be an essential part of keeping your track clean.

A replacement cleaning pad can be purchased under reference GM4930101.

Scale: OO

Product Type: Wagon

Continent: UK

Operator: Network Rail

Length over buffers:160mm

Minimum Radius: 358mm

Couplings:NEM Tension Lock

Age recommendation:14 years and older

GM4430101 Network Rail Track Cleaning Wagon

Only £39.95

Available September 2019

N Scale

GM2420101.jpg.bd6daf51bfc5058aa80be276c898e0dc.jpg

Digital composite image

This is the evergreen Minitrix Track Cleaning vehicle with a modern British twist.

Fitted with UK compatible couplings, this vehicle is hauled around your layout and dust is collected by the track cleaning pads mounted underneath the wagon.

This wagon is in no way prototypical but will be an essential part of keeping your track clean.

Replacement cleaning pads can be purchased under reference GM2920101.

Scale: N

Product Type: Wagon

Continent: UK

Operator: Network Rail

Couplings: NEM British N

Age recommendation: 14 years and older

GM2420101 Network Rail Track Cleaning Wagon

Only £34.95

Available October 2019

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking the N scale version in a 1980's livery would look the part, especially as it is similar in outline to the continental refrigerated van's that operated to and from Scotland for a time.

10 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Any plans to issue it in a livery thats more appropriate for the Steam or Early diesel periods?

Given that "This wagon is in no way prototypical" anyway, and its use is intermittent track maintenance, does it matter?

You could always paint it to make it less 'prominent'.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, truffy said:

Given that "This wagon is in no way prototypical" anyway, and its use is intermittent track maintenance, does it matter?

You could always paint it to make it less 'prominent'.

I can live with it not representing an exact prorotype, but being in lurid hi-vis yellow i draw the line at. One could equally ask why wasnt it in a neutral colour that modern image modellers could have painted yellow if they wished?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I can live with it not representing an exact prorotype, but being in lurid hi-vis yellow i draw the line at. One could equally ask why wasnt it in a neutral colour that modern image modellers could have painted yellow if they wished?

is it any less prototypical than a dirty great big hand dragging a rubber down the tracks.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I like the N gauge one, brings back memories of the rake of Ford ones my dad had on his railway when i was a kid.

The PECO ones? They're still available. Used to see the real ones all the time.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PENR-P55&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Peco+NR-P55

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PENR-P57A&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Peco+NR-P57A

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Hey, you guys have seriously missed the point of this offering.

It is a vehicle for cleaning the track.

Although not prototypical, is it not down to Notwork Fail to maintain the track these days?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Hey, you guys have seriously missed the point of this offering.

It is a vehicle for cleaning the track.

Although not prototypical, is it not down to Notwork Fail to maintain the track these days?

Too modern for me then. I'll just have to use a couple of Irish navvies with a potato.

Jason

• Funny 3

Just a thought, and my ignorance, but that pad looks quite wide - agreed, good coverage.

Are there any problems encountered going over points, junctions?

Are they substantially heavier than 'a normal carriage / wagon'?

Al.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, JohnR said:

Any plans to issue it in a livery thats more appropriate for the Steam or Early diesel periods?

Since the vehicle in neither scale approximates to any UK vehicle of those eras, isn't this a bit pointless?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Since the vehicle in neither scale approximates to any UK vehicle of those eras, isn't this a bit pointless?

No harm in making it more acceptable is there? After all, since it doesnt approximate anything Network Rail owns or operates, why paint it in those colours? At least Dapol didnt attempt that.

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

No harm in making it more acceptable is there? After all, since it doesnt approximate anything Network Rail owns or operates, why paint it in those colours? At least Dapol didnt attempt that.

Didn't they?   

https://www.hattons.co.uk/84211/dapol_b800network_non_motorised_oo_track_cleaner_with_motorised_cleaning_heads_and_vacuum_in_netwo/stockdetail.aspx

:jester:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I stand corrected. But the original one was like this:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/24836/dapol_b800_non_motorised_oo_track_cleaner_with_motorised_cleaning_heads_vacuum_in_blue/stockdetail.aspx

I presume some people asked for it in NR livery. 

I use the brass CMX one which is pretty effective - although much more expensive that the Gaugemaster offering. Again it doesn't resemble anything running in the UK and it's HO rather than OO but as it only comes out occasionally it doesn't matter to me. 

On 07/07/2019 at 14:20, Markwj said:

Are these track cleaning wagons effective ( I realise these are not out yet but similar Wagons have been produced before I believe)?

thanks

I've never used one. But they have always seemed to sell and manufacturers have had them in their ranges for years. Even going back to the days of Triang, the advert below is from 1962..

I would guess where they are useful is the places that are out of reach.

Track_Cleaning_Car_R344,_Triang_Railways

Jason

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've never used one. But they have always seemed to sell and manufacturers have had them in their ranges for years. Even going back to the days of Triang, the advert below is from 1962..

I would guess where they are useful is the places that are out of reach.

Track_Cleaning_Car_R344,_Triang_Railways

Jason

Is that an almost used up toilet roll underneath the wagon???...just think you could clean your track and defecate at the same time :jester: