Bachmann Anglia 47: what trains did they work?

pinzaboy

Hi

Bachmann have recently produced an Anglia liveried  47 and I was wondering what trains these locos actually worked. I imagine they ran from London to Norwich, but did they ever operate on freight or infrastructure?

Many thanks in advance

Tim

From what I remember I'm fairly sure the 47s replaced the Class 31 on passenger trains, which in turn had replaced the Class 37s. The train I used to catch ran Norwich to Cambridge and then onto Liverpool Street. Every single train I got on, for many years, was seven cars long. For a long time they ran a brake second behind the locomotive before moving it to the centre position in the rake. Most 47s I saw on my morning train carried name plates. All the freight was hauled by Class 37.  I can't recall having ever seen a Class 47 on a freight train.

The train leaving Cambridge shortly after 4pm to London had a buffet car that was somewhere around the centre of the formation.

This is from my distant memory – I'm sorry to say the trains didn't interest me so I had no motivation to record anything at all. I know about the brake position in the train as I used to put my bike on board.

22 minutes ago, Anglian said:

From what I remember I'm fairly sure the 47s replaced the Class 31 on passenger trains, which in turn had replaced the Class 37s. The train I used to catch ran Norwich to Cambridge and then onto Liverpool Street. Every single train I got on, for many years, was seven cars long. For a long time they ran a brake second behind the locomotive before moving it to the centre position in the rake. Most 47s I saw on my morning train carried name plates. All the freight was hauled by Class 37.  I can't recall having ever seen a Class 47 on a freight train.

The train leaving Cambridge shortly after 4pm to London had a buffet car that was somewhere around the centre of the formation.

This is from my distant memory – I'm sorry to say the trains didn't interest me so I had no motivation to record anything at all. I know about the brake position in the train as I used to put my bike on board.

That was before the wires went all the way to Norwich. Bachmann's model is a lot later than this.

I only ever remember seeing it in place of an unavailable 86, or hanging around Colchester waiting for it to be required as a rescue loco.

• Agree 2

A search on Flickr yielded a few good results, showing that it strayed far from its Anglia stomping ground. Couple of pictures of it working Freightliner services, including one up the WCML in 2005. Seemed to be used a lot on stock moves of MK3's going to and coming back from painting into ONE colours prior to Class 90 worked services on the GEML. It got around on Railtours too, there's a shot of it at Edinburgh Waverly on one. Looks like it became part of the Cotswold Rail fleet from about 2005 until it went to Old Dalby, as there's pictures of it paired with their liveried Class 47's, as well as doing what looks to ad-hoc and spot hire work.

47714 at Ipswich

47714+47303, Milton Keynes

47714 at Waverley 47714

IMG_4401

47714 Unstone 5Z43 23/03/06

Andy.

• Like 4

It was owned by Cotswold Rail right from when it gained Anglia colours. They had a contract with Anglia, including class 08 provision, hence the pair of silver 08s. As mentioned, post Anglia, it cropped up on a number of Cotswold/ Advenza workings

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, SWT442 said:

A search on Flickr yielded a few good results, showing that it strayed far from its Anglia stomping ground. Couple of pictures of it working Freightliner services, including one up the WCML in 2005. Seemed to be used a lot on stock moves of MK3's going to and coming back from painting into ONE colours prior to Class 90 worked services on the GEML. It got around on Railtours too, there's a shot of it at Edinburgh Waverly on one. Looks like it became part of the Cotswold Rail fleet from about 2005 until it went to Old Dalby, as there's pictures of it paired with their liveried Class 47's, as well as doing what looks to ad-hoc and spot hire work.

Andy.

Quite versatile then if you Rule 1 it around the layout, 

Mark

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Suzie said:

Hornby did one too and got to market first, so a lot of people will have something already sitting in a siding waiting for Thunderbird duty.

Wasn't it Heljan? Hornby produced 47 718 in the later One Anglia livery but I don't remember them ever producing 47 714 in Anglia Turquoise, could be wrong though. They did produce quite a few Class 86's in Anglia Turquoise, I think I have them all.

• Agree 1