MRJ 272

NHY 581

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2019 at 15:36, Pebbles said:

My understanding is that 272 will be 2 weeks late. My friend also told me that Cygnet Magazines  no longer accept annual payments but only for 6 months ( four issues) at a time.

Not mentioned so far, but perhaps the reason that this particular issue will be late is that they want to include an obituary/tribute to Roy Jackson?

Best wishes,

Richard

• Agree 1

On 07/07/2019 at 11:33, corneliuslundie said:

No need to apologise. It was pointed out to me.

Th worrying thing is that the reasons seems to be that the publisher is not sure how long the magazine will continue.

Jonathan

So the other thread refers to the age of the proprietors being their reason to want to minimise the duration of future commitments. 

"Cygnet" was formed when they sold off the rest of Wild Swan to Simon of Titfield Thunderbolt. I wonder if we know whether that was because they wanted to continue the magazine as a retirement project, or if Simon / Titfield wasn't interested in taking it on?

I would have thought that MRJ, more than most other "small suppliers" in the kits and bits world, would be a good candidate to be sold on for a continued existence, when the proprietors can't continue?

Which brings to mind what a shame it was that "Finescale Railway Modelling" fell victim to such unfortunate circumstances. I would have thought that the more modern approach (full digital production, subscriptions via PayPal etc.) would be a bit of a model for the future of MRJ under a new owner, or a replacement should it cease.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are in danger of slipping into speculation here. There is nothing to suggest that MRJ is to cease publication so I would suggest that gossip in that fashion is........well........gossip..........

MRJ is normally late.......so nothing untoward there..........

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

We are in danger of slipping into speculation here. There is nothing to suggest that MRJ is to cease publication so I would suggest that gossip in that fashion is........well........gossip..........

MRJ is normally late.......so nothing untoward there..........

Rob 

Well, not quite.

Read back a bit and you will find :-

"I phoned about the 4 issues and what I was told made me laugh. Apparently they are afraid that they are getting old and don't want to have to refund any money if one of the team falls of the perch" !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Well, not quite.

"I phoned about the 4 issues and what I was told made me laugh. Apparently they are afraid that they are getting old and don't want to have to refund any money if one of the team falls of the perch" !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sure, I get that John but perhaps what I was trying to disuade  was the talk of MRJ being sold. 

Just want to avoid the froth that is generated elsewhere. We are far too genteel for such behaviour..........though I do get over excited as the proposed publication date approaches. 

This normally ends with Matron suggesting I calm down before I'm sick. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Sure, I get that John but perhaps what I was trying to disuade  was the talk of MRJ being sold. 

Just want to avoid the froth that is generated elsewhere. We are far too genteel for such behaviour..........though I do get over excited as the proposed publication date approaches. 

This normally ends with Matron suggesting I calm down before I'm sick. 

Rob. 

When it comes to age-related matters; (as I know only too well); not talking about it will not stave off the inevitable.

Better that it be known that MRJ is not immortal, so that anyone with the necessary skills / funds can express an interest while there is the opportunity for an orderly 'changing of the guard'.

Whatever - I hereby disclaim any knowledge whatsoever about the future of MRJ - but I did put 2 and 2 together when the subscription period was reduced.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2019 at 21:44, cctransuk said:

Well, not quite.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Maybe they just wanted to see if there is indeed something faster than the speed of light?

i.e. the time between making a jocular remark and seeing it appear on RMWeb?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2019 at 22:02, cctransuk said:

Whatever - I hereby disclaim any knowledge whatsoever about the future of MRJ - but I did put 2 and 2 together when the subscription period was reduced.

Well, 2+2 gives you 4 issues!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2019 at 22:02, cctransuk said:

not talking about it will not stave off the inevitable.

That may well be so, but plenty of people thought that the large wooden throne in the storeroom behind my office in Exeter Panel would enable me to command the sea at Dawlish to retreat.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sharris said:

Hammersmith still has 271 on the shelves, so I don't hold out much hope for Ealing either! 

All a bit of a comedy really...

Rob

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I was thinking of not renewing.

So they put a fantastic GCR layout in issue 272, and my cheque is in the post. Crafty so-and-sos. They may not have up-to-date attitudes to technology but they can obviously read my mind.

Sad that the renewal is only for four issues though, as that means and extra stamp per year. Perhaps they think inflation is going up a lot!

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 2