MRJ 272

NHY 581

• RMweb Premium

The only downside of this issue is the lack of a track plan for  Thurlestone,  I did wonder about it being a  GC layout as there's a Thurlestone in the South Hams of Devon and expecting to see a  GW layout. Just goes to show how some place names are repeated around the country and you can't just go by the name.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The only downside of this issue is the lack of a track plan for  Thurlestone,  I did wonder about it being a  GC layout as there's a Thurlestone in the South Hams of Devon and expecting to see a  GW layout. Just goes to show how some place names are repeated around the country and you can't just go by the name.

Indeed. And I thought that Thurlestone was on the branch line from Maud Junction to Dawlish.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

"Our" Thurlstone (what with me being a true GCR man) has one less "e" than other similar named places.

I did go there once. It is in the wilds somewhere just t'other side of Penistone (a joy with an auto correct spellchecker) heading towards the hills. 

• RMweb Premium

The little details on Thurlstone are really great..

Just a small correction to Trevor Hughes' article re the gauge comment. We did intend to use 31 mm for the BCR layout but found that it was too tight for the proprietary Terrier we had bought (obviously transferred from the Potts line) so have settled on 31.5, but that still reduces the slop. I have also been packing out the axleboxes to eliminate the slop there in the one ready-made wagon I have painted and lettered. The scratch built wagons have naturally been built "tight" anyway. We would like our couplings to meet rather than pass each other!

And I am in awe of somebody who even thinks about building something as large as Leeds Wellington, though of course Retford is in the same league.

Re the cover, it repeats the top photo on page 169, but that of course is no  help to those still awaiting arrival of the issue.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The little details on Thurlstone are really great..

Just a small correction to Trevor Hughes' article re the gauge comment. We did intend to use 31 mm for the BCR layout but found that it was too tight for the proprietary Terrier we had bought (obviously transferred from the Potts line) so have settled on 31.5, but that still reduces the slop. I have also been packing out the axleboxes to eliminate the slop there in the one ready-made wagon I have painted and lettered. The scratch built wagons have naturally been built "tight" anyway. We would like our couplings to meet rather than pass each other!

And I am in awe of somebody who even thinks about building something as large as Leeds Wellington, though of course Retford is in the same league.

Re the cover, it repeats the top photo on page 169, but that of course is no  help to those still awaiting arrival of the issue.

Jonathan

Good choice especially for a club layout. At 31.5  most things will run ok, but at 31 you have to be fussy.

Taking out nearly all the end float on wagon axles makes a lot of difference whether you are on 31.5 or 32. Too much end float can make buffer locking on curves more likely.

It is a good issue. Agreed a track plan for Thurlstone would have been nice.

Don

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/07/2019 at 11:27, Hawk said:

Magazine outlets in railway stations usually have a far better selection of railway related magazines than airports. Probably no coincidence.

The newsagent at the railway station in my hometown (Trondheim, Norway) suddenly started to stock MRJ. I am planning a little exursion today to see if it have arrived. The only downside is that they charge more than  twice as much as in the UK.

Like most other things in Norway, sadly.

Mine arrived in the post yesterday (Saturday, 03 September).  Nigel Bird now has to charge 12.00 GBP for air delivery which translates to USD 15.53 on the credit card billing even with the falling GBP.

It's and indulgance, particularly as my UK "00" layout is gone and I am now working on a local US prototype (SP in Port Costa on the Carquinez strait in California in 1949-54) for my new layout. But as long as I can afford it I will continue. I am, however, very interested in Richard Dunning's SR Diesel prototype model. 

• 2 weeks later...