EMT Liverpool - Norwich diversions.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was having a discussion with a friend earlier today about East Midlands Trains Liverpool - Norwich service and he said in the past, the service has been unable to serve Grantham due to engineering work on the ECML.  

If coming from Liverpool, at Nottingham the service divides and the front portion continues to Norwich.  If it can’t serve Grantham, does it go to Sleaford and then down the joint line via Spalding, onto Peterborough and then right route or does the rear portion reverse direction, go non stop via Loughborough, Oakham, Stamford and right route from Peterborough.  Obviously it would run in reverse if heading towards Nottingham.

Any ideas or comments would useful.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Simon Lee said:

Reverses in Nottingham then left hand down at Syston, virtually same journey time. Also give a chance to do the fairly rare Syston North curve.

Does this happen quite often?

• RMweb Gold

In central trains days there were timetabled trains via the current route and via Melton 

Is there any via the latter now to maintain route knowledge. 

I often move stock from Norwich to derby and network rail never seem happy if I ask for a path via Nottingham to maintain route knowledge 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

Reverses in Nottingham then left hand down at Syston, virtually same journey time. Also give a chance to do the fairly rare Syston North curve.

The 21.30ish Spalding to Nottingham will use Syston North weekday nights getting the Spalding flyer back to Eastcroft for fuel etc.

• Like 1

A couple of the very early morning Nottingham - Norwich trains go that way. 

Here's the relevant EMT timetable: https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Global/TT2 MAY19_WEB_PDF.pdf.

Note that the 05:07 Nottingham to Peterborough via Grantham gets to Peterborough before the 04:56 Norwich via Loughborough does, so you can see how much slower the diversionary route is. 

I don't think any of the full Liverpool - Norwich journeys use that route any more, unless there's a problem with the route via Grantham.  

32 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

A couple of the very early morning Nottingham - Norwich trains go that way. 

Here's the relevant EMT timetable: https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Global/TT2 MAY19_WEB_PDF.pdf.

Note that the 05:07 Nottingham to Peterborough via Grantham gets to Peterborough before the 04:56 Norwich via Loughborough does, so you can see how much slower the diversionary route is. 

I don't think any of the full Liverpool - Norwich journeys use that route any more, unless there's a problem with the route via Grantham.  

Pendant mode: the 05.07 is actually Nottingham-Spalding via Peterborough:rtfm::sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I got my answer today as I was at Peterborough railway station and the Norwich - Liverpool trains were diverted via Stamford, Melton Mowbray and Loughborough because the wires were brought down at Tallington on the ECML.  I just should have waited lol.

• Like 1