All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

@61661 I'm not too sure about the nose, it looks to be protruding almost twice the amount it should be. Can you please check it out again. It's a make or break situation....I've not found a single pic showing it protruding so much. I just spent the last 30 mins checking pics online.

*edit* As I've said on several occasions, across various platforms recently about various models, the O gauge 47 is still a work in progress and the CAD for the cab front is in the process of being modified to correct aspects with which we are not satisfied. The CAD has already been changed since that 3D print was made, so it's not an accurate reflection of where we currently stand. Perhaps best to wait until we see the finished model before making a judgement.

It's also premature to make judgements about the new OO 47s extrapolated from this one, uncorrected (and not fully detailed) 3D resin print of a different model in a larger scale. 

I should also add that we were explaining this to people who asked about the O gauge 47 at Telford over the weekend, but it's obviously not the same when the photo is seen out of context without explanation. 

Edited by 61661
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, 61661 said:

The CAD has already been changed since that 3D print was made, so it's not an accurate reflection of where we currently stand. 

In today's focus on instant information, unfortunately saying or showing nothing is sometimes better than something that's out of date.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi everyone,

I personally think it’s great to be able to see the development progress of models at different stages and having key people like Ben who are modellers and engage with modellers to get feedback at various stages. It’s good for the hobby, creates interest and we all get good models at the end of the day. The more awareness that a new model is coming should help make it a successful seller as people can save up etc, which means a brand will recover its cost quicker and can get on with the next project. 

Keep up the good work Ben

cheers

Mark

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi everyone,

I personally think it’s great to be able to see the development progress of models at different stages and having key people like Ben who are modellers and engage with modellers to get feedback at various stages. It’s good for the hobby, creates interest and we all get good models at the end of the day. The more awareness that a new model is coming should help make it a successful seller as people can save up etc, which means a brand will recover its cost quicker and can get on with the next project. 

Keep up the good work Ben

cheers

Mark

I agree with you entirely. My point was that you should show that information when it is fresh/new, but not keep on showing it when things have moved on just because you don't have anything new to show. That is what creates the confusion and negative feedback. You just have to look at the negative response here to the Hornby Engine Shed blog showing out of date images of the LMS Princess, which were then superceded by new and much better renditions the following month.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

So is there any updates to this thread as it seems to have died off somewhat considering this was such a huge announcement of a very popular prototype spanning decades.

Btw where else can I get info on what Class 47's Heljan are actually releasing and no I don't do FaceBook...is there a UK website or somewhere else that details the actual Class 47's being modeled or a pre-order list?

Edited by classy52

20 minutes ago, classy52 said:

So is there any updates to this thread as it seems to have died off somewhat.

Btw where else can I get info on what Class 47's Heljan are actually releasing and no I don't do FaceBook...is there a UK website or somewhere else that details the actual Class 47's being modeled or a pre-order list?

Release isn't until 2021 so I wouldn't expect details of what will be in the first release for a while yet, similarly still to early for and samples.

13 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Release isn't until 2021 so I wouldn't expect details of what will be in the first release for a while yet, similarly still to early for and samples.

I think exactly which prototypes being modeled would have been known by now if not at the announcement, Heljan could do well to be a bit more informative especially with such an important model.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, classy52 said:

I think exactly which prototypes being modeled would have been known by now if not at the announcement, Heljan could do well to be a bit more informative especially with such an important model.

Unless Heljan are prepared to have someone else take part of the market, I would assume a prototype being tooled at this point in time would have the tooling done to allow for the various variations done to the 47s over their decades in service.

So while they may have some initial thoughts on what they are initially aiming for, it would be far wiser to wait until closer to release to give out specific details.  Amongst other things it gives them the ability to react to anything else that happens in the next say 6 to 8 months that may result in their initial plans being modified - like perhaps a new paint scheme that arrives or another company announced some new rolling stock that would ideally pair with a different version of the class then initially planned.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

I was thinking that too.

Get a life you lot, seriously what harm is there me asking for an update and where the hell did I say that I need this info right now???

You know what go over to Accurascale and see how it's really done!

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Get a life you lot, seriously what harm is there me asking for an update and where the hell did I say that I need this info right now???

You know what go over to Accurascale and see how it's really done!

The point is that you didn't just ask for an update, when you learned that there wasn't an update you then proceeded to effectively criticize Heljan on the basis that it is an "important model".

As for comparisons with Accurascale, the difference is that Accurascale is 12 months away from release, not 16 to 24 months away.  Furthermore, at least for the 92 and likely the 37, Accurascale have the advantage that the choices are based on other models that Accurascale are selling.

It is possible that Heljan may provide an update tomorrow at Warley, but it is equally possible that they will wait until around 12 months away from release to provide detailed information.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mdvle said:

The point is that you didn't just ask for an update, when you learned that there wasn't an update you then proceeded to effectively criticize Heljan on the basis that it is an "important model".

As for comparisons with Accurascale, the difference is that Accurascale is 12 months away from release, not 16 to 24 months away.  Furthermore, at least for the 92 and likely the 37, Accurascale have the advantage that the choices are based on other models that Accurascale are selling.

It is possible that Heljan may provide an update tomorrow at Warley, but it is equally possible that they will wait until around 12 months away from release to provide detailed information.

Ok we've got a bunch of gatekeepers on here who think asking for an update or further information is criticism or some other crap that can be conjured up...how dare I say it's such an important model, question the content of the announcement or god forbid ask anything at all.

You may want to go over the last 7 pages and start wagging your finger at everyone criticizing Heljan's past record or those concerned about the new tooling, there's a lot that but you seemed awfully quiet until now :taunt:

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, classy52 said:

Ok we've got a bunch of gatekeepers on here who think asking for an update or further information is criticism or some other crap that can be conjured up...how dare I say it's such an important model, question the content of the announcement or god forbid ask anything at all.

You may want to go over the last 7 pages and start wagging your finger at everyone criticizing Heljan's past record or those concerned about the new tooling, there's a lot that but you seemed awfully quiet until now :taunt:

I can't seem to open it but the Warley thread mentions an update on the 47.

On 07/07/2019 at 07:29, adb968008 said:

I’d rather DCC fade into history, and adopt real world standards like IOT using wifi... no need to pay premiums for patented ideas served on bespoke industry circuit boards, when software can replace it.

While "Patented", DCC is available under conditions similar to GNU- it's free to use the ideas.  You are always free to make up your own circuit boards, they tend to end up larger than said "bespoke industrial circuit boards" though, I have found...  IOT using WiFi was a far away dream in 1999 when I first started with DCC, and the 'internet' didn't really exist when it first came out...I have my 27mHz radio gear that took up a full wagon of space in 1997 or so...and used 10 N cells for power...

If you don't like someone else's standard, then don't use it.  But don't complain about it either- buy something fitted with the socket only, and show us how clever you are to fit your own system (or DRS or NCE's version, or...) instead.  But don't complain until you have a full fledged system that has wide industrial support, that you want industry to do something else....they have done something else, and your choices are not affected by it as an industrial standard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the Heljan info the 60s to mid 70s era locos based on liveries will be

D1526 - TTGSYP should be Spanner boiler and 3 piece fixed rad grilles

D1969 - TTGFYE should be Stone Vapour boiler and Serck rad griles

47137 - Banger Blue - looks like she went blue and acquired Serck rad grilles in 1975. 

All these livery/boiler port/rad grille combinations have been available from Bachmann so hopefully more to come down the line - Clayton and NB locos to cover the 60s to mid 70s era are gaps in  the market.

Looking forwards to seeing this released!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 14:01, John M Upton said:

I expect Hornby are already digging out the Limby 47 tooling to do a massive release of popular livery models in the not too distant future on hearing about this!

Many a true word said in jest, no point doing the old ones but..

R3757/8/3905/6/7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone else seen the photos posted by Heljan on Facebook of the O gauge Class 47? It seems to have all the faults of the CADs we saw a while ago. The curve of the cantrail grills in particular looks very wrong. Really hope the OO version is better.

• Agree 2

On 22/02/2020 at 17:41, brushman47544 said:

Has anyone else seen the photos posted by Heljan on Facebook of the O gauge Class 47? It seems to have all the faults of the CADs we saw a while ago. The curve of the cantrail grills in particular looks very wrong. Really hope the OO version is better.

Yes I had seen this. I guess we need to see an EP in 00, as scaled up to 7mm any issues tend to look worse.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, I have been looking for a banger blue, sealed h/c 47 with headlights and cantrail stripes.  I steer clear of the early Bachy 47s as they have the awful rivets on the front cab windows.  The last offerings of 47001 and 47625 don’t have headlights and cantrail stripes.

Open door for Heljan!

1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

Resurrecting this thread, I have been looking for a banger blue, sealed h/c 47 with headlights and cantrail stripes.  I steer clear of the early Bachy 47s as they have the awful rivets on the front cab windows.  The last offerings of 47001 and 47625 don’t have headlights and cantrail stripes.

Open door for Heljan!

I’m pretty sure 47625 City Of Truro is headlight fitted, but you are right about no cant rail stripe.