All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

2 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

Resurrecting this thread, I have been looking for a banger blue, sealed h/c 47 with headlights and cantrail stripes.  I steer clear of the early Bachy 47s as they have the awful rivets on the front cab windows.  The last offerings of 47001 and 47625 don’t have headlights and cantrail stripes.

Open door for Heljan!

Could be if they don’t cock something else up. 47625 has headlight but no cantrail - fairly easy fix with fox transfers.

but if you think Bachmann ever changed the rivets.....think again.....47001shown below...recent release 

941B4BE3-4011-44EF-93B9-2078411B373A.png

I filed rivets down and touched paint around windows back in. Going to be 47004 when I get round to it. Sorting them horrendous bulbous marker lights out helps.

25AB5D01-277E-4ABB-ADB0-C471F0125CDD.jpeg

D8172539-8474-4378-AF54-D663D6296C39.jpeg

Edited by 66738

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, shunny said:

Gaugemaster have announced several new exclusive models as part of their Gaugemaster collection range

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/gm-collection-brand5.html?scale=452

Ummm as per Heljan Class 86 thread what is going on with Gaugemaster's pricing...again £229.95 for the DCC Ready loco???

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, shunny said:

I was wondering if its a holding price until Heljan confirm rrp as the other collection models haven't been overpriced or Heljan have confirmed the price and the standard releases will be around this price also?

Dear Lord I hope not, that would be sales suicide barring a few stupid enough to pay that price.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I'm glad Gaugemaster have commissioned a current day Class 47 as in 47815 which I would purchase if at least 80 quid is taken off the asking price, otherwise forget it.

Never going to be £80 less than that asking price, but I agree that the price seems somewhat on the high side.

I don’t normally complain on price, but I am not sure what is happening with this hobby as these prices are going to drive people away and stop new entrants. 

Roy

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Never going to be £80 less than that asking price, but I agree that the price seems somewhat on the high side.

I don’t normally complain on price, but I am not sure what is happening with this hobby as these prices are going to drive people away and stop new entrants. 

Roy

Yeah totally agree.

I meant up to £80 off the price but realistically I would expect these loco's to be priced no more than £180 RRP too be honest, to me this would be an unprecedented jump in DCC Ready price for a new tooled loco and personally no matter how much I would like 47815 I simply would not buy it @£229.95.

I mean seriously Hattons released their brand new Class 66 DCC Ready @£150 only recently so to speak (ignore the issues) and you look at Accurascale's loco pricing thus this Gaugemaster pricing doesn't make any sense.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's above my self imposed limit of £150.00. Hopefully Bachmann will be able to keep below that. Or it's the second hand market for me. It does however give me a rough idea of the class 48 price that model rail will pitch their Ltd edition price at. 

• Like 1

£229.95 has priced me out of buying these... What a pity!! Definitely don't think I'll be willing to pay more than £160-170 for the Heljan Class 47. From what we've seen of it and heard about it, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking about it. I'm still waiting to see the EP sample to see if they got the shape right.

Was interested in a couple of the Class 47s...but I think I'll give it a pass. Just not worth that amount of money. FWIW, you can pick up some brilliant ViTrains and Bachmann models and have it professionally resprayed and still pay less than that.

• Agree 2

The £229 price conveniently gives you £199 after the usual 15% discount.

I'm sure this is a huge factor in the pricing choice; all hell will break loose when the £200 barrier is broken for an non-sound fitted, non-weathered loco.

• Like 1

Also worth noting is the tooling obviously covers at least two of the boiler port types...

47815 / 492 / 578 - Spanner MkIII

47596 / 501 / 600 - Clayton

And as they re all post-Tops numbers, they will have the Serck Radiator Shutters.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'd have more truck with D&E 'having' to be £200+ if Bachmann hadn't dropped their prices for the 66 and 45 in response to competition or the forthcoming Hornby 91 being 25% cheaper than a ten year old Class 57.

Furthermore, if 'pre-orders are the way to go'  (MIMO), then I think a number of us may just feel that the gamble of committing to something you haven't seen just isn't worth taking taking anymore

Edited by Ouroborus
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

I'd have more truck with D&E 'having' to be £200+ if Bachmann hadn't dropped their prices for the 66 and 45 in response to competition or the forthcoming Hornby 91 being 25% cheaper than a ten year old Class 57.

Furthermore, if 'pre-orders are the way to go'  (MIMO), then I think a number of us may just feel that the gamble of committing to something you haven't seen just isn't worth taking taking anymore

I agree. I recently was interested in a Hornby Princess Class, Queen Maud, in BR Green, as it was one of the second batch, I didn't pre order, as judged that they wouldn't sell out, which they haven't. Last week, Bure Valley Models reduced the price from £170 to £152 and I ordered. I think we need to consider moving away from pre ordering. I only have 2 Bachmann pre orders, a 94xx and a Class 45 in BR green (benefitting from the 45 price cut). I have pre ordered a couple of Heljan, as they may sell out. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m sure that this may not be universally agreed with, but this discussion sounds like evidence of why, prima facie, competition is a good thing for consumers... maybe people will consider this the next time there is duplication of a particular model?

• RMweb Premium

Well you have duplication here .  The main models in the 47 frame are Bachmann and Heljan .  Competition would appear not to have worked.  The trouble is that one manufacturer has been pushing prices and appears to have been shifting models .  Now another manufacturer is latching onto that. 

But there is further competition . There are lots of second hand 47s out there . Bachmann, Vi Trains , Heljan, Hornby , Lima  and even if you want to buy new there's the Limby 47 recently appearing at about £77 and still plenty Bachmann about at around £160 (less if discounted). Yes I know the Limby 47  is Railroad and less detailed , but it has a nice mechanism and does for me. Plenty of options available out there . 

So unlike cases where there is only one model available and its that or nothing  this time you really can vote with your wallet or at least as Rembrow has pointed  out  just wait for the price to moderate . 

I know folk will say there are additional costs  but just to put that in perspective Raw materials having dropped during height of pandemic (no demand) are recovering but are still below costs Feb 2020. The $ rate to £  is 1.314  it was in the 1. twenties for most of last year , so it has improved , although it was 1.45 before Brexit referendum, but then that initial drop was reflected in cost of models at the time. 

Costs of models will go through the £200 mark at some time , but perhaps its not inevitable just yet . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2