All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

Opening Serck shutters would need a decent sound application as well, I used to remember the departures up the bank at Manchester Victoria.

First comes the initial application of power to get the train moving, then a high idle where the shutters would open before power was reapplied and the train began to accelerate under the bridge and up the bank.

Peaks were similar but without the shutters of course!

• Like 1

Great news, It'll be interesting to see how they model the variations over the years, the 47 was a bit "Heinz 57 varieties" in real life but given the recent photos of the test models of the 86/0, and the news of the variations being planned for the 45, I expect that Heljan might just give us a cracking model and some real competition for Bachmann.

I wonder if this news might spur Bachmann into having a fresh look at their 47, and given their interest in "added play value" and their experience of servo pantographs on their 90, might work out a way of getting the Serck louvres to open?

Hope it’s better than the original tubby duff which I was underwhelmed with.

will wait and see, if it’s not so hot, it’ll be cheapo Bachmann version which I foreseee falling in RRP from £152

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

This is brilliant news. Currently I have ViTrains Rail Exclusive & Bachmann Class 47s. I have x5 ViTrains models and x5 Bachmann models. 

I will be keeping all of these models that I have collected so far as the ViTrains five are the DRS & Northern Belle Exclusive & Limited models and the Bachmann five are DRS resprays 501 & 802, DRS 805 & 818 Area Exclusive models (818 a renumber from 805) and Area Exclusive Colas 727. 

I don't require any new or additional DRS or Colas 47s but I would like some West Coast Maroon and GBRf 47s. I may also be interested in ROG 47812 & 47815. 

I will follow the progress of this model with interest. Well done Heljan. 

• Like 1

On a simple DC operation, how would opening louvres work - temperature sensor on the motor?

Could be voltage sustained above a certain amount more than 5" ...

I'm sure there are options to help the Analogue operator appreciate some of the DCC toys.

Al.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Puts plans on hold for a couple of LSL green Duffs...............

I will await suitable donors.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Puts plans on hold for a couple of LSL green Duffs...............

I will await suitable donors.

Just note that the end of the announcement indicates 2021 for the first release, so anyone needing anything sooner will need to look elsewhere...

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Just note that the end of the announcement indicates 2021 for the first release, so anyone needing anything sooner will need to look elsewhere...

I'm not in a hurry.............

Although if the announcement drives down the second hand price of Bachy 47s then I may be tempted.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Hatton’s posted an image of 47205 with the Heljan O gauge CAD below on Facebook and when you look at them together there  are noticeable differences concerning the side cab and door window shape and the roof grills at cantrail level. The cab as a whole appears to be too long making those side windows look too square, as per the Bachmann model. The angle of the buffer beam support under the cab side windows also appears to be wrong. Plenty of time to get the OO gauge version correct of course but I hope Ben has a good look at these issues before progress has gone too far to correct any errors.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

If they come out right these could be candidates for a small fleet for me, banger blue yellow sealed beam. I will hold off any Bachmann 47 purchases until I see more evidence of how they're going to look.

Working serck would be good, but I doubt it will happen.

My lone tubby duff will need to lose some weight... :wink_mini:

Edited by Ian J.

58 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

God no, don’t make the shutters work.

unnecessary gadget to go wrong !

Quite ! Although a manually adjustable arrangement similar to the arrangement on (at least some) Hornby class 50s may be acceptable.

Otherwise, as you say, another thing to go wrong, and some of Heljan's past efforts haven't covered themselves in glory. Making sure the metallurgy's as it should be, and that motors don't self-destruct, are a basic MUST-HAVE before playing with nice-to-have features. And test the thing properly before unleashing it on the public.

Having said that, I own a couple of the little 07s, which I admit are beautiful little locos; I just hope their longevity matches their looks.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, atom3624 said:

On a simple DC operation, how would opening louvres work - temperature sensor on the motor?

Could be voltage sustained above a certain amount more than 5" ...

I'm sure there are options to help the Analogue operator appreciate some of the DCC toys.

Al.

If you want 'DCC toys' then you should consider using DCC. Things like this work poorly otherwise (sound has been tried but worked poorly, lights go out when the train stops...etc).

If you don't want DCC, then accept that you won't have access to 'DCC toys'.

• Like 1

Just now, NINJA said:

The operating shutters, bit like the revolving fans, do we need them?

Do Heljan need them?

More features are more potential faults, which could cause more returns.

It is hypothetical anyway. It was Clive who accidentally started this by suggesting the shutters could be modelled open.

Whether Heljan do it or even consider it will be their decision.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Do Heljan need them?

More features are more potential faults, which could cause more returns.

It is hypothetical anyway. It was Clive who accidentally started this by suggesting the shutters could be modelled open.

Whether Heljan do it or even consider it will be their decision.

And I accidentally made one with them open, not working as I am not that daft.  I have done a few but this is the only Dane I have done. The best is a Vi Trains one.

028.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If you want 'DCC toys' then you should consider using DCC. Things like this work poorly otherwise (sound has been tried but worked poorly, lights go out when the train stops...etc).

If you don't want DCC, then accept that you won't have access to 'DCC toys'.

I’d rather DCC fade into history, and adopt real world standards like IOT using wifi... no need to pay premiums for patented ideas served on bespoke industry circuit boards, when software can replace it.

• RMweb Gold

Its nice Heljan are doing a new 47.

its a shame comments are hoping the result of a competitor brings down Bachmann's price point.

Personally like with the 25,45 I’m hoping they bring a superior model to market and rather than cheapest, I can chose which is best detailed.

it seems like the tooling is getting all the detail potential built in, and lets face it 47’s always sell.

For now i’m not placing orders, I want to see what were getting..  Weetabix or Shredded Wheat... but its exciting times by Heljan...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Well as we’ve seen with the 66, they won’t. They’ll drop profit margin on existing tooling and sell it cheaper.Bachmann seem to have no appetite for upgrading models, just wringing as much profit as they can out of ancient tooling.

this is the first time in a while their 47 has competition ( Vi out of production, Heljan  old version also )

its almost like they have decided to be the Tesco of the MR world, allowing others to be the Waitrose and Lidl respectively 

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Bachmann seem to have no appetite for upgrading models, just wringing as much profit as they can out of ancient tooling.

The thing is that much of the Bachmann tooling being referred to 25/3, 45, 47 and 66 in particular, is pretty good and although not fully up to current standards isn’t necessarily out of date. Bachmann clearly does have plans to upgrade models - look at the Classes 25, 158 and 170 currently in development. Bachmann’s difficulty seems to be the long lead times due to factory capacity (being tied to Kader) which seems to make it difficult if not impossible to keep up, so others are picking off the models with the best long terms sales potential.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It's all fine and dandy frothing over an all-new 47, however Heljan need to get the fundamental shape correct surely?  Otherwise it's a pointless exercise.  With Heljan's track-record on body shapes in general I think I'll wait until I've seen the finished model before I order/pre-order anything.  Fingers crossed...  everything crossed...  <_<

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I am still amazed that we sometimes get models (from all 'manufacturers' and comissioners) with issues with basic body shape and dimensions. It's not rocket science to have a list of fundamental measurements to check CAD against when it come time to review it, and then to use those same measurements to check 3D prints and early tooling.

My fingers are crossed that Heljan can get the 47 right, as well as the 45 / 25 / anything else.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2