Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Apologies to Brian, not a hijack, but David have you still got the F40/GP40 stuff?  Merry Christmas ... whatever!

Jason Dickie

Hello Jason -

Yes we have - F40PH & SD40-2 - Philip at his zenith! 

You could obviously get a lot more types out of the masters than just those two classes, with the making of relatively few additional parts.

If we don't sell them, then we'll still do something with them one day - if I live long enough!  If we don't do either then I'll polish and frame the masters and put them on the wall - they are that nice!

Hope you are well,

Best Regards,

DJP

Hi Brian!

Great to see an update of your work, superb as ever, just a quick question please, how did you fit the Roxey gearbox to the PRMRP bogie etch on your class 73?. I'm currently building a pair of these etches to go under a Triang Hymek and having not a lot of luck getting the supplied gears to mesh smoothly, from reading your thread on here as well as a few others I've heard good reports of the Roxey gearbox so would like to give one a try, sorry if its a bit of a dumb question and the answers obvious I'm still a bit new to the O gauge kit building world.

Rob

Not sure I agree.....isn't the idea of fitting better bits to make the model truer to scale?

As I said Jeff the manufacturer has to decide whether or not to make a super-detail kit to remedy the problems inherent in the RTR model (perhaps with a lot of cut and shut) or to make the model look better than it was before without such drastic measures, ie a super-detailing exercise that accommodates the model (and it's issues) and to 99% of the population looks 'right' with plenty of fine detail added. IMHO, as much as I respect David and MMP - and lord knows there are, albeit, minor, issues with the HJ 47 - the MMP kit should really fit the existing HJ model or perhaps indicate how to modify the loco to suit the etches et al. (especially if the kit is sold as a modification specifically designed for the HJ 47). :)

Thanks for your support Jeff, much appreciated - but I wouldn't worry about it really.  The particular post you were replying to was totally innacurate anyway. If you are a manufacturer it is neither professional or a good idea to go onto forums slagging off another manufacturer - you can leave yourself wide open - but I will not respond in detail, even though I could.

Some folks on here just expect to post their criticisms thinking that their own modelling is beyond it or that they have made the best job possible of constructing a kit, whereas pigs & ears are often more apposite.

Just ignore 'em!   Hell, some of the postings on here can't even get my name right so how accurate are they in other respects!

Have a good Christmas over that side of the UK.  Saw both a buzzard and a jay when out with the dogs this morning, so all is fine in my world!

Regards,

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power,

www.djparkins.com

David as I said I respect you and your products are very good and by and large offer VFM, I think that issue is that the tanks et al. should really fit the HJ 47 first time out. :)

Thank you David

I'm sure that that has answered a lot of questions for people that were unsure or did not know the history of the MMP range.

I did hint at such earlier :derisive:

Brian seems to have overcome the issue though and nice looking model can be had with the MMP parts added. :)  :)

Here you go Rob just for you  :yes:  Other people are welcome to look at them as well seeing as it's Christmas.

post-6766-0-78208600-1419517605.jpg

post-6766-0-48004000-1419517608.jpg

post-6766-0-47940300-1419517610.jpg

Motor is supported by the frame front and back to stop it rocking.

post-6766-0-18965900-1419517612.jpg

post-6766-0-95699800-1419517613.jpg

Brass channel added to support the copperclad pcb for the pick-ups and stop the delrin chain from drooping down. Note I have also added a couple pieces of brass rod on each copperclad to attach croc clips to, it makes life so much easier to clean the wheels.

post-6766-0-48161100-1419517615.jpg

post-6766-0-70900900-1419517617.jpg

Lower corners of the etched bogie removed as they don't actually do anything, only look ugly!

post-6766-0-76806800-1419517619.jpg

The depth of those top steps need narrowing by about half so the steps can get a bit closer to the bogie.

post-6766-0-27552700-1419517621.jpg

Edited by brian daniels

What did Santa bring you?

Nothing that I really want :aggressive_mini: , well railway wise anyway. We are at that age were crimble pezzies are clothes and slippers  :umbrage:

A couple of days ago I ordered myself my own prezzie but it won't get here until February at least so you will have to wait until then to see what it is.

Edited by brian daniels

Tanks now painted, just need to weather them and the bufferbeam fillets  to match the bogies when it gets a bit warmer!

I made up one rad grill overlay so you can see how it would look if doing a pre serck model.

attachicon.gif47091 13.jpg

attachicon.gif47091 14.jpg

attachicon.gif47091 15.jpg

attachicon.gif47091 12.jpg

attachicon.gif47091 11.jpg

Brian, you never cease to inspire and you dont hang about do you!

The only other thing I can add is that the model, environs and overall effect is just magic to my eyes!

Can you just remind me, who's windscreen wipers did you use? (cant remember if I got replacements or not - the HJ versions look over-scale to my eyes).

loving the 'frost' effect, must get some  :jester:  :jester:

There's still plenty here in Wilts. its been about for a couple of days!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Lovely work as always Brian

Considering the conditions in your Garden when you started up your 47 did you discover it was leaking all over the place as was normal if they were switched off for any length of time during cold weather. They used to keep them running at Gateshead to avoid such problems.

A question for you and all other group members that model O gauge diesels. Following Christmas I've taken the body of my Heljan 40 with a view to seeing how easy/difficult it was to fit a footplate crew. The position of the cab seats would suggest that future crew members would have to have very short arms and certainly be Legless (nothing to do with alcohol) so a repositioning of the seats would be necessary

Has anyone fitted a crew to their Heljan 40 or any other Heljan O gauge diesel and if so where did they source their footplate crew from.

My best wishes to you Brian and all who follow and contribute to Brian's excellent RMWEB topics

Regards

Bob

Considering the conditions in your Garden when you started up your 47 did you discover it was leaking all over the place as was normal if they were switched off for any length of time during cold weather. They used to keep them running at Gateshead to avoid such problems.

A question for you and all other group members that model O gauge diesels. Following Christmas I've taken the body of my Heljan 40 with a view to seeing how easy/difficult it was to fit a footplate crew. The position of the cab seats would suggest that future crew members would have to have very short arms and certainly be Legless (nothing to do with alcohol) so a repositioning of the seats would be necessary

Has anyone fitted a crew to their Heljan 40 or any other Heljan O gauge diesel and if so where did they source their footplate crew from.

My best wishes to you Brian and all who follow and contribute to Brian's excellent RMWEB topics

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

There are numerous suppliers for loco crews, Omen are some of the better one's there are others of course - PM if you need to know more - most, if not all, will require surgery as far as I can tell.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Bob

I used seated diesel driver figures - I can't recall which ones but I think I bought them from Dart at Warley -  what I do know is I had to cut off legs and then (as the view into the cab  is relatively limited) I also removed the back of the seat and fixed it to the back of the driver once the driver's body had been fixed with epoxy to the base of the seat. It looks fine.

Chris

post-1107-0-84344900-1419874964_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I used seated diesel driver figures - I can't recall which ones but I think I bought them from Dart at Warley -  what I do know is I had to cut off legs and then (as the view into the cab  is relatively limited) I also removed the back of the seat and fixed it to the back of the driver once the driver's body had been fixed with epoxy to the base of the seat. It looks fine.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Cunning and neat work, I have some of the Dart drivers too - they are very good.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Gold

I painted the figure - Halfords white spray primer on a cleaned up figure and then a succession of blue/greys based on Vallejo colours for the jacket and trousers; black for the hat with a badge touched in with a Games workshop colour similar to gunmetal (?Chainmail)  flesh is an old acylic I got from a war gaming shop and it's very similar to the Humbrol enamel flesh I remember from my wargaming days in the 1970s......the secret is to use very littl paint on the brush and build up gradually - I also use a light with an in-built magnifier. (I'm glad I don't do much in 4mm any more..)

I suspect you can squeeze the "torso" on to the existing seat if the legs are chopped off complete;y but I wanted a bit of a gap between panel and chest hence the back of the seat amputation...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

Chris, your reply containing paint colour info was very much appreciated. Its been a while since I did a couple of footplate crew sets for a succession of steam locos. I was hoping the Dart figures could save me the trouble of starting all over again

Oh well !!!

Best regards

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Fabulous work on the 47 Brian. Theres's something akin to grandfather's axe about this project!

So what's next - are you going to have a crack at lowering the cab roof guttering and remodelling those front windscreens?! 

Given the success of the sustained Falcon lobbying, surely we can get some sort of Heljan proportioned but more accurate looking windscreen etches one day...

Hi Brian

Is the pre secrk grille available as a spare part or is it something you've fashioned yourself? I fancy doing the XP64 loco one day.

Ian

The pre serck grills are in the body/underframe kit from MMP http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Locomotives.html You could ask around to see if anyone is not going to use there's after doing there mods. I am hanging on to mine though as I just don't know what I will do in the future.

I really must put a driver in mine sometime. Don't forget that back in the early days you would more than likely have a secondman/fireman in the other seat.

The windscreen wipers are the ones supplied with the 47 from Heljan!

I am not doing any body mods on this as I don't want to re-paint it.

Edited by brian daniels

Many thanks Chris

These look excellent ---- Do they come ready painted or did you do it ? 

I was considering repositioning the seats to gain a little legroom but then I doubt anyone looking in would see the legless figures 

IIRC they can be purchased painted.

I painted the figure - Halfords white spray primer on a cleaned up figure and then a succession of blue/greys based on Vallejo colours for the jacket and trousers; black for the hat with a badge touched in with a Games workshop colour similar to gunmetal (?Chainmail)  flesh is an old acylic I got from a war gaming shop and it's very similar to the Humbrol enamel flesh I remember from my wargaming days in the 1970s......the secret is to use very littl paint on the brush and build up gradually - I also use a light with an in-built magnifier. (I'm glad I don't do much in 4mm any more..)

I suspect you can squeeze the "torso" on to the existing seat if the legs are chopped off complete;y but I wanted a bit of a gap between panel and chest hence the back of the seat amputation...

Chris

Or another option is the 'Games Workshop' way and start with rattle can 'Chaos Black' (I would nowadays recommend an etch primer first as the composition of CB has changed) and then build up lighter colours atop so as to use the base-coat (black) as false shading, wargamer/D&D stylee.

Chris, your reply containing paint colour info was very much appreciated. Its been a while since I did a couple of footplate crew sets for a succession of steam locos. I was hoping the Dart figures could save me the trouble of starting all over again

Oh well !!!

Best regards

Bob

Andrew Stadden does some nice figures, not sure if they come ready painted or not, yet Tower and Omen et al used to.

http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/OGaugeLocoCrewFigures.aspx

The pre serck grills are in the body/underframe kit from MMP http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Locomotives.html You could ask around to see if anyone is not going to use there's after doing there mods. I am hanging on to mine though as I just don't know what I will do in the future.

I really must put a driver in mine sometime. Don't forget that back in the early days you would more than likely have a secondman/fireman in the other seat.

The windscreen wipers are the ones supplied with the 47 from Heljan!

I am not doing any body mods on this as I don't want to re-paint it.

Shawplan were proposing a range of etches for the 47, yet I am not sure where they are at with them at the moment. IIRC there was a lot of debate with ref to the 37 and 47 whether to super-detail with etches that fitted the model as is or provide a set of etches for radical surgery/correction (or perhaps both options). My view was that most owners, psychologically, would not want to have to respray a factory finished model (I could be wrong of course).

I was just about to say that a second man would need adding - power to the brotherhood!

Those wipers look great Brian, not sure why they look different to mine - my eyesight I expect! :derisive:

If I were you I would be very pleased with the HJ 47, in this case if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is a duck, a very nice duck Duff indeed. :yes:  :)  :imsohappy:

:offtopic:

Back on topic now :)