Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Brian

Are these resin side frames? Are they string enough for this type of application?

I am not a fan of resin myself

Paul R

I know what you mean Paul, yet they are only cosmetic as such so strength isnt an issue - besides Brian has tested them to the limit now!

I know some have concerns over the longevity of resin - perhaps David Parkins could comment on such?

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I know what you mean Paul, yet they are only cosmetic as such so strength isnt an issue - besides Brian has tested them to the limit now!

I know some have concerns over the longevity of resin - perhaps David Parkin could comment on such?

Who is David Parkin?

The resin sideframes on the 47 are purely cosmetec so no problem.  Though I agree - wouldn't use them in a load-bearing situation!

We only have two of the sideframe sets left as part of our 3-set 47 deal anyway - and none as separate items

As my 40 will fit alongside my steam fleet timescale wise it will require two crew members. There is a lovely image of D279 standing at Leeds in June 1966 with a Liverpool bound service in the Ian Allan book "Heyday of the Class 40s". Standing alongside on the Platform is the driver hands on hips still decked out in steam era blue overalls and jacket with cap tipped to one side just gazing up at his cab. The 40 looks spotless for a Gateshead allocated loco not so surprising then as the shed had rid itself of a steam allocation the year before. To be fair it was that image which in the end caused me to pull the trigger on a Heljan 40

Thanks Guys for the heads up re footplate figures. I'm busy looking at the sites concerned trying to make my mind up 

• Like 1

Who is David Parkin?

The resin sideframes on the 47 are purely cosmetec so no problem.  Though I agree - wouldn't use them in a load-bearing situation!

We only have two of the sideframe sets left as part of our 3-set 47 deal anyway - and none as separate items

Hi David,

My apologies, I am lower spectrum dyslexic and a 11" computer screen can be a chore at times too.

Thanks for the advice on the side-frames.

I assumed that you would only sell them as a set (I bought the side-frame and the cab sets).

Thanks Brian for allowing us all to see the MMP products fitted and for allowing this line of enquiry to run.

Kind regards,

CME

I have been making one of Pete Harvey's plate bufferstops over Christmas. And very nice it is too. In the instructions it says to use a piece of melted plastic in a former to make bolt heads but I just could not get anything to look right so I ordered some plastic bolts from EDM Models to use on the rail clamps and bufferbeam fixings. Didn't quite get enough though to finish the individual clamps behind the buffer. I will paint this in the orange coloured Rail Red, the same as RfD wagons, as I think that's about right. Thankfully it slides onto the railhead so can be removed for spraying! The buffer planks are just stirrers from a coffee shop but look ok.

post-6766-0-26845300-1420112103.jpg

post-6766-0-84968800-1420112104.jpg

post-6766-0-26887600-1420112106.jpg

post-6766-0-59126200-1420112107.jpg

post-6766-0-16018200-1420112109.jpg

post-6766-0-70818300-1420112110.jpg

post-6766-0-69736900-1420112112.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 10

Brian, that buffer beam looks great , PS where are the bolt effect rail joiners from ?

Happy Modelling

Craig.

C&L Finescale do some nice fishplates ( rail joiners ) in both brass or plastic.

Martyn.

I have added a bit of weathering to the 47's tanks and bufferbeams so it looks a lot better now. Painted Pete Harvey's plate bufferstop as well in Rail Red and Signal Red and white for the buffer plank. Hopefully this should stop the odd runaway on my demo table!

post-6766-0-22128600-1420314933.jpg

post-6766-0-57763100-1420314934.jpg

post-6766-0-87481300-1420314935.jpg

post-6766-0-52711000-1420314941.jpg

post-6766-0-86234900-1420314931.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

What are the extra little clamps at the rear?

Thats to stop the whole buffer stop assembly sliding along should Brian be a bit over zealous with the throttle.........everything extra helps when a driver is near the end of his shift :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

That's quite right David. There are three little clamps but I will only put one or two on the rail head as it takes up valuable running space. I will have this at Bristol if you want to see it the flesh, it's not so orange in real life.

Gave the 47 a run today and it looked the part I must say. One draw back though is if you look down on the tanks you can see right through the top to the track. I think a block of black plasticard is needed here.

• Like 1

I have added a bit of weathering to the 47's tanks and bufferbeams so it looks a lot better now. Painted Pete Harvey's plate bufferstop as well in Rail Red and Signal Red and white for the buffer plank. Hopefully this should stop the odd runaway on my demo table!

attachicon.gifIMG_1743.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1745.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1746.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1747.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1750.jpg

Hi Brian,

The Cl47 looks FANTASTIC!

The Cl47 seems to have real weight and sits down nicely on the bogies - shame about the issue with the tanks, yet that's the issue with fold-up brass, I am sure your quick fix will sort it though. A quick question, do you think it was worth the extra work with adding the tanks?

Kindest,

CME

Hi Brian I understand how you feel about that, was all that work worth the effort ? Sometimes it is just easier to stick with what you have.

A lot of us know what work went into it, but by the time it is sprayed up and weathered up is there a noticeable lift up of the model ? Only you can decide for yourself.

Did you get job satisfaction from doing it ?

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

Here's a picture of it with the narrowed Heljan tanks. Was it worth changing them? In a word no I don't think was.

Hi Brian,

Thanks, those are possibly my thoughts too - certainly as far as my loco is concerned, yet I may change my mind in due course, my only caveat/concern is the fit of the MMP replacements. ;)

Kind regards,

CME

Hi Brian I understand how you feel about that, was all that work worth the effort ? Sometimes it is just easier to stick with what you have.

A lot of us know what work went into it, but by the time it is sprayed up and weathered up is there a noticeable lift up of the model ? Only you can decide for yourself.

Did you get job satisfaction from doing it ?

Best regards

Craig

Good points Craig, as it's a hobby the time spent/therapeutic side is sometimes just as important, yet one often finds, with 7mm models/kits, that frustration can play a part too and sometimes less is more. To my eyes Brian's HJ47 is superb and looks right, yet without viewing the two manufacturers' tanks in the flesh, side by side, I would be hard-pressed to see the difference at most normal viewing angles (although I am sure the MMP tanks and details are noticeable when viewing close-up). It all depends on what one wants ie layout model vs showcase etc etc... :)

Hi Brian,

It depends why you do what you do. Unless for a paying customer, then the journey is the destination, so to speak.

Ray that is also very true, the journey is much better though when a product fits/works first time... :derisive:  :)

I guess you're not into Land Rovers, then.

Theyre all right - like a big Meccano kit! :derisive:  I have owned numerous 'classics' and all have been pretty easy to work on - frustrating at times, but usually easyish. I have a modern car with a leaking washer-bottle pipe and cant locate the leak, apart from the wet OSF floor mats! I would rather be playing trains!  :help:  :offtopic: