Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hello, without meaning to hijack this thread but has anybody seen the Heljan GUV in the flesh ? Are there any shape issues with it that the MK1 coaches have, any info would be grateful.

Best regards

Craig

Looks ok from the pics I have seen. 

If you are after a class 33 their is one in the classifieds. Would look good with your class 31.

Cheers Peter.

Alas here is the 57, I'm not too happy with the dellners so I have ordered a second set that I will place higher up and recess more. At least it vaguely looks like a 57, I'm also not too happy with the grille fit, but it should do, again, these can always be re done later. This is my first conversion as I'm used to Waterman kits.

Is this a kit built one or something of the like?

Hello, without meaning to hijack this thread but has anybody seen the Heljan GUV in the flesh ? Are there any shape issues with it that the MK1 coaches have, any info would be grateful.

Best regards

Craig

Not seen it in the flesh but their is a review in the current BRM which highlights the curvature of the roof being wrong.

Not seen it in the flesh but their is a review in the current BRM which highlights the curvature of the roof being wrong.

Thanks for the reply Rob, I am still torn as to get one or not, or go down the Westdale or JLTRT route, I don't mind doing a bit of modelling and spraying, as £250 for a RTR item that has obvious niggles should not command that sort of price, or another way of putting it, is Manufacturers should make sure it is right before putting it out there and expect punters to pay top whack for their "well it's good enough" models .... but that is another subject.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

If it comes down to a case of Westdale vs Heljan vs JLTRT, I would simply refer to the review I did of the JLTRT kit in the G0G Gazette a while back. It proved problematic in the build, with the sides, floor and roof being different lengths, and the whole vehicle sitting too high on its bogies.

Jim

If it comes down to a case of Westdale vs Heljan vs JLTRT, I would simply refer to the review I did of the JLTRT kit in the G0G Gazette a while back. It proved problematic in the build, with the sides, floor and roof being different lengths, and the whole vehicle sitting too high on its bogies.

Jim

Have you had any experience of the Westdale kit Jim ?

best regards

Craig.

I have a Westdale GUV although I have not got round to building it yet.....having looked at the parts though I don't think kits get much simpler :)

One piece body & my choice of Easybuild bogies, I would say it could be built in a day :sungum:

Phill :)

P.S. The JLTRT one got very bad reviews when released as I recall & the Heljan is  overpriced IMO  :O

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get out between the showers and take a few pictures of another project on the go, a JLTRT class 22. I will be doing it as 6319 in blue.

I am not keen on the way it's been designed, you have to put the windows first because the cab interior slides in from the back so is locked in when the cabs are put on the body. I suspect this was done this way because of a tuck under of the body side which makes putting the floor up inside from the bottom a challenge. I have secured the windows with a waterproof PVA glue that I thinned and then run round the windows with a small brush. Hopefully when the model gets cleaned for painting under the tap the windows will not fall out. Also will have to mask all of the windows before painting.

post-6766-0-34777000-1423921588.jpg

There is no way to stop the oval buffer heads rotating but I have a cunning plan for this!

post-6766-0-74503500-1423921590.jpg

Both the cab desk and rear bulkheads come up nice when painted.

post-6766-0-95631000-1423921582_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-04100700-1423921586.jpg

I have opened out the headcode boxes to put a light behind them and to get a glass finish to the headcode glass as there is no glazing in the kit for these. I have just made a temporary headcode just to see what it looks like, will get a proper headcode number done soon. I can't put the cabs onto the rest of the body until I have glued these headcodes in so it might be a while as I have to get the headcodes made using Fox numbers on black plasticard and then I use a photocopier to make them in paper before using Kristal Klear to glue them to the headcode glazing. I broke a handrail for the front trying to file the rear of the bottom cast pad as it's got a V shape to the back so does not sit back on the cast front very well. There are not enough of the correct style lamp brackets supplied, the two I have fitted on the front are good but the other two like it on the sprue have a pad cast on the back and the other two have the fixing brackets turn up on themselves. I suspect these are correct for all the variants of these loco's but you could do with two lamp bracket sprues and not just the one supplied.

post-6766-0-78311600-1423921580.jpg

post-6766-0-42646700-1423921592_thumb.jpg

The bogie sideframes are very nice but there is no method to fix them to the bogie inner apart from gluing them on which I am loath to do as you can bet you will need to get them off sometime in the future when a Slaters wheel allen screw comes loose! There are no holes in the bogie inner to put pick-ups in like their other models so you have to mark out and drill your own.

post-6766-0-08414800-1423921602.jpg

post-6766-0-64463900-1423921600.jpg

post-6766-0-35802900-1423921599.jpg

post-6766-0-95563400-1423921593.jpg

post-6766-0-65884800-1423921624.jpg

This is the etched bits to add later.

post-6766-0-47451700-1423925044_thumb.jpg

But for all this it's looking very nice. I still have not got any motors and gearboxes. I will use Mashima's and Roxey fold-up etch gear boxes.

post-6766-0-76785900-1423921626.jpg

post-6766-0-33563300-1423921628.jpg

post-6766-0-76775200-1423921629.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 17

Looking good so far Brian. I've always wished JLTRT would design their motor bogies with U shaped holes for the bearings to fit from below. A keeper plate could then be fitted to retain the bearings/axles. It would make fitting the delrin drives a bit easier if you see what I mean as the whole thing could be "chained" on the bench then dropped in from below. Makes sense to me anyhoo :jester:

JF

Brian,

Very nice work! 

Arnt the JLTRT Class 24's and 25s the same in terms of having to fit the windows before painting?

ATVB

CME

Ah, not sure about the 52 and the 25 but the 24 , with a bit of careful filing/shaping of the edges it's possible to make the bulkheads a clip in affair. This means you can make up the bodyshell/cab assembly, paint it, then glaze it and add the bulkheads and side desk units afterwards. It's a bit of a nail-biter easing them in afterwards but I just managed them without any of the anticipated CRACK :scared:  noises (phew)..

Jon F.

Yes CME and their 52.

I just wish they would have made the sideframes fit with a screw or something so you can remove them easily.

Could you temporarily assemble the sides to the bogie, drill through the bogie moulding and through the locating pin on the side frames and screw a 12 or 14 ba bolt through the lot? 

post-7179-0-81783000-1423932748.jpg

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 1