Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Had a nice parcel from Simon Thompson today with the 3D printed electrical boxes that go on the ends. I painted the one on the right in primer to see the detail better and fixed them on with double sided tape at the moment as I still have to find a way of fixing 4 jumper cables to them that I can easily remove.

post-6766-0-96116900-1457974779_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-35101000-1457974781.jpg

post-6766-0-76252300-1457974782_thumb.jpg

Also been adding electric conduit down the solebars for the interior electric heating I guess.

post-6766-0-84065000-1457974777.jpg

Gave it a push with my Heljan 33/1 yesterday and glad to say the headcode light did not flicker so the pick-up with just 2 wheels either side worked ok.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 9

I still have to find a way of fixing 4 jumper cables to them that I can easily remove.

Have you thought about small magnets attached to the ends, I'm hoping to use them when I get around to the Blue Pullman, half a mil and one mil diametr available, and should be easily attached to the ends of the jumpers and the box with cyno?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-2mm-3mm-dia-x-1mm-1-5mm-4mm-10mm-small-rare-earth-/151996367844?var=&hash=item2363b083e4:m:mWZfmbm9U7TpXBoLAEgNytw

Or even just one sunk into the box and small steel end to the jumper cable.

Peter

0.8 Peter. A bit bigger than I would have liked due to the holes but it looks ok.

Thanks Brian. I thought yours couldn't have been 1.3mm as that would look far too thick. One wonders why they etched the holes so big, I'll just have to use solder to take up the slack.

Pete

Hi Brian,

Just looking through the pictures of your nice work on the 4TC. I was wondering why the driving trailer coaches have no cab side windows or quarterlights either side of the leading passenger doors?!

All the best,

Colin

Well Colin that's because I am waiting for a set of window frame etches that a friend is doing for me. I am not cutting the hole out until I have the etches to get it to match too. Also got to cut out holes either side of the first saloon door.

Ian it's the Hurley O Gauge groups test track that we used at the Bourne End running days. We keep it and set it up at Hurley village hall about once a month if you would like to join? It was the old Oxford test track from years ago but it is showing it's age now so the club is building a new test track at the moment.

Good lord, Brian.  This shot gave me goosebumps.  Exactly how I remember BR Mk1s from my late 70s train spotting days on the Western Region....

post-238-0-39481900-1458491261.jpg

I can recall one of these windows departing its frames somewhere between Cheltenham and Gloucester while my chums and I rode behind a Peak.  We used to go back and forth between those two stations a lot, and once managed a trip in the blue n grey Gresley buffet behind a Western.

Magical days, brought back by your super photo - not even a loco in sight, but what a photo!

Hat, coat, gone for a lie down.

• Like 1

Had a bit of time to get some modelling done at last. So I got my head down and done a job I do not like doing at all, water filler pipes and roof fittings. As these roofs are removable I make the filler pipes a push fit into a small piece of tube with a .7mm inside diameter.

post-6766-0-27264400-1458931653.jpg

post-6766-0-08356400-1458931655_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-71524200-1458931656_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-88393200-1458931657.jpg

• Like 9

Looking awesome :) I'm really enjoying following your thread.

I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any photos of the underframe. I'm just about to start a 4mm project and wasn't sure what bit's should and shouldn't be there.

Cheers

Will

Had a nice parcel from Simon Thompson today with the 3D printed electrical boxes that go on the ends. I painted the one on the right in primer to see the detail better and fixed them on with double sided tape at the moment as I still have to find a way of fixing 4 jumper cables to them that I can easily remove.

attachicon.giftc2.jpg

attachicon.giftc3.jpg

attachicon.giftc5.jpg

Also been adding electric conduit down the solebars for the interior electric heating I guess.

attachicon.giftc1.jpg

Gave it a push with my Heljan 33/1 yesterday and glad to say the headcode light did not flicker so the pick-up with just 2 wheels either side worked ok.

Had a bit of time to get some modelling done at last. So I got my head down and done a job I do not like doing at all, water filler pipes and roof fittings. As these roofs are removable I make the filler pipes a push fit into a small piece of tube with a .7mm inside diameter.

wow!  :imsohappy:  :yes:

Looking awesome :) I'm really enjoying following your thread.

I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any photos of the underframe. I'm just about to start a 4mm project and wasn't sure what bit's should and shouldn't be there.

Cheers

Will

I do have a few of the TC at the Midland Railway Centre. All you can see of it is the underframe as it's wrapped up better than my Xmas prezzies. If you want to see one, and I see you are in Epsom, then you best go to the Bluebell Railway Diesel Gala where the LT one will be working http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/diesel-weekend/

Edited by brian daniels

I have been doing some soldering jobs that needed doing to finish the coaches so they are all at the same level now. I just had the remaining lifting lugs delivered yesterday so those are now fitted to all coaches. I decided to have a go at making the upper brackets ontop of the aws magnet shroud under the DTSO's. It sort of went ok but there is too much solder on them but believe me it was a job to get it to look like this as it all wanted to fall apart as soon as you got it hot enough to solder. And I finished adding the T pieces for the extra verticle supports in the trusses. I have also added some strip for the handbrake rodding on the rear of the bogies on the DTSO's.

post-6766-0-84042300-1459098694.jpg

post-6766-0-89434700-1459098695.jpg

post-6766-0-76146800-1459098696.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 4

During the last week I have been making the POW Sides milk tanker. There have been a few issues with the packing as there were no brakes and cross shafts packed but I got hold of those. I then found that the tank should have 4 saddles of differing heights as this is a sloping tank but apart from 2 half saddles for the lowest end all the rest were all the same. I have returned these but am still awaiting replacements. I am still waiting for the transfers as well. Apart from the packing department woes it's gone together ok. The ladder is only held on with blue-tac as it will go on after the tank has been sprayed white and orange. The instructions say to add a discharge valve at both ends on the bottom of the ends but I just used one at the lower end as I did not think they would be able to empty it uphill! I have also changed the handbrakes as the instructions say to add a couple of V hangers in the opposite ends gap between the centre and end axle guards and have a handbrake at either corner but I can't find a picture with these extra V hangers so I put the handbrake cross shaft at one end only with the handbrakes coming off it from both sides. In the pictures I have found of these tanks I could not see which side the vac cylinder was fitted so it's 50/50 which side I put it on. I have added some cross braces on the tiebars between the axle guards as these do show on the pictures I have. I made the middle axles bearing go up and down a bit in elongated hole as my track outside is a bit up and down these day's. The model was supplied with Peartree wheels that are very nice but the extended axles on them are not as long as Slaters and the wheels just fell out of the whitemetal axleboxes. So I had to buy some Slaters wheels and that's ok now, they stay in.

post-6766-0-35563200-1459099393.jpg

post-6766-0-94684600-1459099394.jpg

post-6766-0-63046800-1459099396.jpg

post-6766-0-99538300-1459099397.jpg

post-6766-0-52341200-1459099399.jpg

post-6766-0-65702400-1459099400.jpg

post-6766-0-33731500-1459099402.jpg

• Like 12