Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that pink Heljan 37? Well this is it now.

Big thanks to Precision Labels for the Didcot Depot "plate". I know it's correct as I got a vinyl made up and named the real 37692 on Didcot shed one afternoon! The rest of the decals are from Fox. I had to mix the grey as the fitters mixed this up themselves with what they had to hand. I used a Humbrol grey with a light blue mixed in.

post-6766-0-29609700-1511288011.jpg

post-6766-0-64395000-1511288023.jpg

post-6766-0-13544700-1511288035.jpg

post-6766-0-46128500-1511288049.jpg

post-6766-0-79252400-1511288058.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 18

Hi Brian,

Just been catching up. the 4TC and green class 47 look superb. I like your latest class 37 too, Can you tell who's buffers you use please. I did look back a few pages to find if you mention which ones but didn't see anything.

Cheers Peter.

Brian,

Are those Pete Harvey window rubber etches on 37692? - I wasn't sure as they somehow look better on 37692 than on 37250? or has Pete refined the etch do we know?

By the way I am getting a bit worried - with 47004 in Green and 37692 in Grey - that is 2 consecutive engines not in BR Blue - hopefully normal service will be resumed ASAP!!

Deltic17

Edited by deltic17

They are the DJH window frames if you go back a few pages you can see the model in build the frames they look very thin and in two parts so a little harder to fit I would think but I'm sure Brian will give you his opinion when he re surfaces from which ever part of the world he has been visiting.

Not been visiting any parts of the world recently Pete but did go to the NEC, like being abroad because they do talk funny up there :mosking:

As you said the etched window rubbers are in the DJH pack. 37425 I did in L/L a while back used Pete's.

Buffers on 37692 are JLTRT as the white metal ones in the DJH conversion kit are solid and need drilling through so I thought why bother as I had these spare.

Deltic17, your getting worried about the lack of BR Blue, so am I as I have now started on a re-built West Country! I know a steam loco, well you have to keep your hand in don't you.

• Like 1

Remember that pink Heljan 37? Well this is it now.

Big thanks to Precision Labels for the Didcot Depot "plate". I know it's correct as I got a vinyl made up and named the real 37692 on Didcot shed one afternoon! The rest of the decals are from Fox. I had to mix the grey as the fitters mixed this up themselves with what they had to hand. I used a Humbrol grey with a light blue mixed in.

Potentially dumb question, but what color is this loco?  In the "distance" shots, it looks blue, but the close up of the nameplate, it looks grey.

Since Brian did a BR Green Class 47 and keeps referring to it as 47004, may I ask a silly question? Did any BR Green Class 47 carry TOPS numbers i.e. in preservation?

There were, apparently, quite a few! Some had the TOPS number in the “normal” place, under each cab window while others had it behind the cab doors. They also had a TOPS data panel, with a blue background. I believe that 47306 was the last green class 47 to succumb to blue in 1978 or ‘79.

David

Potentially dumb question, but what color is this loco?  In the "distance" shots, it looks blue, but the close up of the nameplate, it looks grey.

Mike this is a unique paint shade mixed up by the fitters in Didcot shed. They did a major exam on this loco and it was a bit tatty but they didn't have a good supply of paint so they mixed Executive Dark Grey and White so I was told and a nice shade of grey was the result. I tried to do the same but could not get it to look like my pictures I have of the real loco so I ended up using a grey with a hint of blue in it that to my eyes looks ok.

47830 springs to mind.

47 256 remained in green livery long enough to acquire a TOPS number and domino head codes.

There were, apparently, quite a few! Some had the TOPS number in the “normal” place, under each cab window while others had it behind the cab doors. They also had a TOPS data panel, with a blue background. I believe that 47306 was the last green class 47 to succumb to blue in 1978 or ‘79.

David

Thank you chaps!

47 looks good Rob. I must do a normal one sometime. I am sure these Modelu figures are little voodoo dolls as I can feel every cut that people make. I got myself scanned again at Reading yesterday stood up with bag and can in hand ready to get on a train and one just stood drinking a cup of tea which is what drivers are good at.

47 looks good Rob. I must do a normal one sometime. I am sure these Modelu figures are little voodoo dolls as I can feel every cut that people make. I got myself scanned again at Reading yesterday stood up with bag and can in hand ready to get on a train and one just stood drinking a cup of tea which is what drivers are good at.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

Great to have a chat with you at Warley last weekend,as said the build of your JLTRT 47 has been a good help for me doing mine,a pic of progress so far and your good self in the hot seat,sorry about the feet!.

Rob

Marvellous work.  How did you manage to create the moquette on the driver's seat?

47 looks good Rob. I must do a normal one sometime. I am sure these Modelu figures are little voodoo dolls as I can feel every cut that people make. I got myself scanned again at Reading yesterday stood up with bag and can in hand ready to get on a train and one just stood drinking a cup of tea which is what drivers are good at.47 looks good Rob. I must do a normal one sometime. I am sure these Modelu figures are little voodoo dolls as I can feel every cut that people make. I got myself scanned again at Reading yesterday stood up with bag and can in hand ready to get on a train and one just stood drinking a cup of tea which is what drivers are good at.

Thank you Brian,yes I can see me doing another at some point,its just deciding which one to do!.

Rob

Marvellous work.  How did you manage to create the moquette on the driver's seat?

Thank you,quite easy,painted the seat a pale grey then made a mask from some fine brass mesh folded over the seat,a quick blast of black pointing straight at the base then seat back and your done. Can't take credit for it as I saw it done in an MRJ article years ago,hope that helps you out.

Rob

It was bought to my attention at Reading yesterday that a couple of you are missing my updates. Well I am keeping busy doing this and that and building my Dave Andrews Re-Built West Country. Got as far as the chassis nearly done, just the valve gear to do once I am satisfied it runs ok as an 0-6-0. I am trying it with a cheap motor I got from China on ebay some months ago with a 26:1 gearbox on it. I have some Finney 7 etched wheel inserts to go on the wheel faces to bring them up to the tyre level as the details on the Slaters ones are a bit deep.

post-6766-0-53565200-1512308753.jpg

post-6766-0-92100900-1512308768.jpg

post-6766-0-46574300-1512308791.jpg

post-6766-0-81087000-1512308779.jpg

• Like 6