Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• 4 weeks later...

I got PH Designs to do some etches for me a while back to backdate the kit to a 86/0. Also a new headcode box as the kit one is too small. I glued the new one over the old one but it should be recesses a bit more to be honest but I just could not face trying to un solder the original so this will do. The new etched rivet surround now goes with the curve of the front and not recessed as per the kit. Tail lights are made up with the etched "washers" and a light surround etch on the end. There is a new horn grill but I failed miserably trying to solder it up so need another to have a go with. It was a job trying to solder the new V bogie pivot etches onto the floor without compromising the brass strip I soldered in and filled to remove the coil spring location. Anyway it's slowly coming on.

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Quite a while back there was some chat about BR self contained wagon buffers on here. Just spotted Accurascale are selling them now at c£4 for 4, which seems very acceptable. No link, just thought useful info given the amount of variants you churn out!

Ian

Edited by Hal Nail

• 1 month later...

A bit of a lack of updates here due to the fact I don't like the new layout I'm afraid and it was doing my head in working it out.

Anyway here is an update on the 86, I just added the lamp brackets and the nice etched horn grill that Pete Harvey did for me. Will add some LED lights next before painting I think.

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, brian daniels said:

A bit of a lack of updates here due to the fact I don't like the new layout I'm afraid and it was doing my head in working it out.

Anyway here is an update on the 86, I just added the lamp brackets and the nice etched horn grill that Pete Harvey did for me. Will add some LED lights next before painting I think.

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Glad to see you on here Brian.

Agree about the site, for a myriad of reasons.

Cracking work on your part Brian, hope retirement is going well?

Atvb

CME

• Agree 1

Hi CME

Not just me then about RMweb then.

Retirement is going very well, going to Europe 4 times this year plus a few breaks in Blighty to get in and fit in a bit of modelling!

Another project just signed off was a Heljan 37 with a set of etched front windscreens to replace the Heljan windows. That was all I did on this as I just wanted a standard banger blue 37.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Finished this recently as well from a pre-production model of the re-introduced 33/0 that should be out later this year. The fuel tanks have been narrowed and the spring in the centre of the bogie has been put back a bit. Also now has some nice sandpipes and brackets. It's also being done as one with a headlight.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

• Like 14

14 hours ago, brian daniels said:

Hi CME

Retirement is going very well, going to Europe 4 times this year plus a few breaks in Blighty to get in and fit in a bit of modelling!

Another project just signed off was a Heljan 37 with a set of etched front windscreens to replace the Heljan windows. That was all I did on this as I just wanted a standard banger blue 37.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Glad to hear that retirement is going swimmingly! Great to hear.

The 37 looks great, I've still got the window frames, roof fan and some bogie tweaks/details to add to my old 37/O.....

14 hours ago, brian daniels said:

Finished this recently as well from a pre-production model of the re-introduced 33/0 that should be out later this year. The fuel tanks have been narrowed and the spring in the centre of the bogie has been put back a bit. Also now has some nice sandpipes and brackets. It's also being done as one with a headlight.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

The 33 looks better for those tweaks Brian, on the earlier versions will the Heljan versions have the correct roof/exhaust and the cutaways in the tanks etc etc? They appeared to in their various 00 releases but not the 7mm version.

ATVB

CME

The 33 will have the later exhaust and no fuel tank cutout I'm affraid, got leave something for you to "model"!

LED's installed and running off DCC so they are lit whilst I'm stood still. I have added an on/off switch for the reds, don't want them on with a train do we. Hopefully when I'm running this it won't be on full power so the LED's should be a bit dimmer. One little problem I've noticed on this 3ft plank though is when going forward the LED's in the rear headcode box flicker, any ideas how to stop this anyone?

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

15 hours ago, brian daniels said:

The 33 will have the later exhaust and no fuel tank cutout I'm affraid, got leave something for you to "model"!

LED's installed and running off DCC so they are lit whilst I'm stood still. I have added an on/off switch for the reds, don't want them on with a train do we. Hopefully when I'm running this it won't be on full power so the LED's should be a bit dimmer. One little problem I've noticed on this 3ft plank though is when going forward the LED's in the rear headcode box flicker, any ideas how to stop this anyone?

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Loving the LEDs the project is coming on superbly!

Looks like the 7mm modeller is the poor cousin again, re the RTR Cl33s vs 00 Cl33s, even though we are expected to pay a lot more. A real pity as the MSM modelling press implied a full on retool and upgrades.

11 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Brian

What is the make of the front windscreens etch as used on 37222

They look better than any other ones I've seen?

I have the PHD (Peter follows this Thread) versions, which only require minimal fettling - they make a nice difference to the otherwise flat surface. Hope that helps.

I don't know who I got those 37 window frames from Deltic17. I sent an email to Shawplan to ask if they were something he did but doesn't advertise but have had no reply.

The Heljan 47 has had a full retool but the 33 was only ever a re-run with a little tweek here and there CME and Bottlewasher

Trying to fill in the gap either side of the V bracket. It's Not Quite Like The Real Thing which is ironic as they are JLTRT class 45 sandboxes with the top cut down. I know they should be a bit thinner on that top edge but I think if I cut more off then the bottom will be too high. Will see if I can add the rod between them. But think it's better with these rather than the before shot.

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, brian daniels said:

I don't know who I got those 37 window frames from Deltic17. I sent an email to Shawplan to ask if they were something he did but doesn't advertise but have had no reply.

The Heljan 47 has had a full retool but the 33 was only ever a re-run with a little tweek here and there CME and Bottlewasher

Trying to fill in the gap either side of the V bracket. It's Not Quite Like The Real Thing which is ironic as they are JLTRT class 45 sandboxes with the top cut down. I know they should be a bit thinner on that top edge but I think if I cut more off then the bottom will be too high. Will see if I can add the rod between them. But think it's better with these rather than the before shot.

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Nice work Brian - looks good to me.

Re the Cl33, thanks, I should have known better than to trust the MSM LOL, tbf I think Tower had a list of what was proposed for the Cl33 and it was more than just a few tweaks.

The window frames for the Cl37 I don't think Shawplan ever got around to doing them as they were to go further (ala their 00 version) which would require major reworking.

Thanks again Brian.

Atvb

CME.

On 08/04/2019 at 20:57, brian daniels said:

Hi CME

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Those Windscreens make a world of difference, I was looking at a Heljan 37 at Trainwest today and the standard widows really are poor.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence chaps. Half the battle with any model knowing what you think you can do with the bits we have spread around the place, and having a good set of reference pictures helps enormously. I have had to rely mostly on a friends detail shots for this build.

Latest little updates are the raised fibreglass roof panels made from plasticard, bet not many people have painted these a creamy colour instead of all over grey! Speedo now added and the little access flap behind the cab door at this end. Think this is nearly it as I can't think of anything much I would like to change/enhance.

86260A (2).jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

86015 is varnished now so could take the Maskol off the lights at last. Windows to cut out and glue in next. I temporarily added an etched arrow with double sided tape as I'm not sure this is the correct size. I have ordered arrows from Shawplan as he lists AC 25Kv Electric ones. Also re-visited this 25 to change the numbers as the Fox ones I had on had a ghosting round them and they just had to go so now I have HMRS Pressfix ones on. Also added the boiler access step blanks that I did not have before. Also added a little yellow dot on the bodyside both sides

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5