Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2020 at 21:45, brian daniels said:

Re-painted a Heljan United Molasses B Tank black and added these transfers to make into a tank for Paraffin Wax. The TSL logo is from Rail-Tec and the stars and numbers from Fox, BRT logo is Appleby and the solebar ones are from CCT.

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

Hi Brian,

Very nice!

May I ask, did you strip the paint or overpaint with the satin black?

Do you (oordies anyone here) know of a set of numbers suitable for the Waste Oil version?

The season's greetings to all here.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

On 08/12/2020 at 23:09, Lord Flashheart said:

That 31 looks excellent, hope you've been keeping ok and its good to see you back on here.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I really must try and keep it up to date. Believe it or not I have slowed down a bit since retiring as other jobs now get in the way that you had been putting off before.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished this Steve Beattie Spanner MkI boiler. Thankfully I found 3 lost wax bits in the steam loco scrap box to finish it. I found a diagram of one on the internet or I would be stumped at where to put the wires. Not saying it's that accurate but it captures the look ok.

I just had this old RJH 31 to hand to place in the background.

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Another project just finished is this Paul Rolley IHA coil wagon. It's a resin kit with a small sheet of etches for the end details. The bogies are from SimonBRblue via Shapeway. It took a while and a few pots of paint to get the correct colour but I ended up with early NSE blue which look ok. Transfers are from Rail-Tec.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

I have had a word with Ian Atkinson at Tower and he said he did not have many of these left so if you want one! They are designed basically as a starter kit which I would agree with although I have built a few so I am finding it very straight forward to build.

As supplied the foldup gearbox is quite large and it will only go on the lead axle as the Slaters pickups get in the way on the centre axle. I have ended up using a smaller gearbox which has allowed it to just about go on the centre axle and lean at an angle so a flywheel can be used. The Mashima supplied will have the extra shaft cut off so if you want a flywheel ask for a kit minus the motor. As you can see the gearbox is rather close to the centre pickups and the rear of the motor is nearly resting on the front pickups but a bit of card is stopping it shorting. The kit instructions say to screw the bufferbeams to the chassis and the running plate to the chassis. This means when you take the body complete with running plate off the bufferbeams will remain on the chassis. I don't like this so just soldered the bufferbeams to the running plate and it seems ok like this. Everything is fitting very well but there is quite a large cusp to file off from the nickle silver etches. The kit comes with solid milled rods and a set of hinged etched ones to solder up. I opted for the solid ones as I could not see any advantage with the etched ones unless you are compensating it. The false hinge is left as a hole as I need to made a D shaped cover rather than a 10BA bolt as recommended in the instructions.

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Found a couple of issues with the 07. On the airtanks a lug that goes over the valance was not cast on one end. So I removed the other one and made the strap with some brass strip. A slightly bigger issue is that the short hood is the same width as the main hood but it should be narrower. So out with the saw and remove 4mm in the middle and then glue and fill it back together, looks much better now. Bufferbeam detail added as well now.

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well you didn't expect me to build it as it comes did you. I'm adding the high level and bufferbeam airpipes and having to modify the righthand side to make the compressor box and will have to make another box to go the other side up against the cab. Oh and some pipes on the ends. One thing to think of when doing things like this is painting/decaling the wasp stripes. So I think I will leave all the end details off and paint and glue them on later. The rest of the handrails will have to wait as well so I can mask the yellow ends later.

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1