Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

1 hour ago, brian daniels said:

No only 4 or 5 had airbrakes. It's not cheap but think of the hours of fun you get making it!

Quite right Brian,sometimes its the journey not the destination that makes it. 

Will look forward to seeing how you do the wasp stripes,I was building a class 04 recently and was doing ok (by my standards)  until I came to them and made a right dogs dinner of it,any hints or tips greatly welcome. 

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 09:37, brian daniels said:

Yes I will Mike, I have a running chassis already! As usual I will do a few changes on it. Quick pic off the phone here.

20210121_200600.jpg

I needed some, standard gauge inspiration Brian, very nice (and the 37), I'm messing about with the sand and gravel line NG locos for Down Ampney - freelance lookalikies and lots of fun (although fitting decoders is a challenge).

Hi Brian, Slightly off topic, sorry, but do you have any clout when speaking to Heljan ? I have a few older O Gauge Heljan Diesels, and have the common issues with split gears, and have now been waiting over six months for any supplies to arrive with Gaugemaster, to no avail. I appreciate that Covid has not helped, and i know the factory is busy with new models, and i suspect down on manpower, but i have locos that are dead in the water, with no light at the end of the tunnel, and these spares are vital to the enjoyment of using said locos.

1 hour ago, WestCountryClass said:

Hi Brian, Slightly off topic, sorry, but do you have any clout when speaking to Heljan ? I have a few older O Gauge Heljan Diesels, and have the common issues with split gears, and have now been waiting over six months for any supplies to arrive with Gaugemaster, to no avail. I appreciate that Covid has not helped, and i know the factory is busy with new models, and i suspect down on manpower, but i have locos that are dead in the water, with no light at the end of the tunnel, and these spares are vital to the enjoyment of using said locos.

Hi, I suggest you contact Ultrascale. There are now manufacturing replacement brass gears for some Heljan O gauge locos.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/01/2021 at 22:05, brian daniels said:

Another project just finished is this Paul Rolley IHA coil wagon. It's a resin kit with a small sheet of etches for the end details. The bogies are from SimonBRblue via Shapeway. It took a while and a few pots of paint to get the correct colour but I ended up with early NSE blue which look ok. Transfers are from Rail-Tec.

IMG_0380.JPGYou made a lovely job of this Brian, any tips on it's construction and finish? Did you tone down the texturing on the hood? Cheers Simon

IMG_0383.JPG

On 13/02/2021 at 16:38, brian daniels said:

I finished the 07 bar the painting but it's too cold for that. Another thing I did on the kit was to file the front of the roof back so the valance there followed the roof better rather stuck out. The axle mounted lubricator is a nice feature.

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

That looks gorgeous Brian, I've always liked the prototype, the model is brilliant though, VERY nice work on your part.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Done a bit of weathering on this Heljan 37 today. I also found out recently that at some point the snow plough on the secondmans side No1 end was changed for a drivers side one. So I decided to cut up a couple of Heljan plastic ploughs to make it. It also had a number scrawled on it from the doner 37! Also changed the bogie steps for PH Designs ones. The little corner steps and headcode plates are his as well.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

11 hours ago, brian daniels said:

That ALD ones a bit basic, no front end detail for a start and it costs more!

Hi Brian,

the photos are of the development model, when released it will be a complete kit with the details, Slater's wheels and a Slater's SG38 motor/gearbox. We wait with bated breath for the launch.

regards

Mike

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 21:44, brian daniels said:

Done a bit of weathering on this Heljan 37 today. I also found out recently that at some point the snow plough on the secondmans side No1 end was changed for a drivers side one. So I decided to cut up a couple of Heljan plastic ploughs to make it. It also had a number scrawled on it from the doner 37! Also changed the bogie steps for PH Designs ones. The little corner steps and headcode plates are his as well.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

Superbly done, excellent eye for detail!

On 20/02/2021 at 22:59, boxbrownie said:

Lovely detail the numbered plough......little things like this make a model.

Hear, hear, I couldn't agree more

On 20/02/2021 at 10:17, Ressaldar said:

Hi Martin,

I Hope that you and yours are well.

There is another model coming out later this year for the 07, see here

https://aldmodels.co.uk/shop/ols/products/ruston-hornsby-class-07

might be worth a look see around July.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

How are you? Thanks for the tip off, I must resist though as I'm trying to stay true and avoid any 'nice to have' models and get things done. I'm watching the pennies too.

In short, contracted SARS2 in mid/late March 2020, ill for about three months, followed up by Long Covid ever since, nearly a year, including my better half. 

I sincerely hope that everyone here is well and staying safe - keep model making. Planning my railway, doing 5-10 minutes a day, over the past month, has been a life saver.

Back on topic, apologies to Brian.

Kind regards to all,

Martin.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...