Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

A quick question for all you 7mm coach modellers out there, who does these roof vents that the majority of TC's use? JLTRT supply all their MkI's with ridge vents. I need 4 coaches worth of these with the opening at the bottom each side. I think Westdale did them?

ABS Models

Ok what have I done recently. 

Etched window frames from Easybuild on the sides and Peter Clark on the front added, MMP horns on the roof, front handrails just popped into place from Peter Clark, door hing etches from Easybuild, strip styrene added either side of doors and lower edge of cabs, windy wipers are from Peter Clark.

post-6766-0-51225600-1451745875.jpg

post-6766-0-19086900-1451745877.jpg

post-6766-0-19141900-1451745879.jpg

post-6766-0-44892500-1451745880.jpg

post-6766-0-11477700-1451745883.jpg

post-6766-0-90133700-1451745884.jpg

post-6766-0-09504900-1451745887.jpg

post-6766-0-27219400-1451745889_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-45881900-1451745891_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Very thick coat of primer  :no2:

Actually once 3D printing becomes a little more affordable it makes you wonder how some of the metal casting manufacturers will cope, I hope they are investing in the new tech now!

We had 3D machines were I worked that produced parts so smooth it needed a loupe to see any surface flaws, then again those machines did cost upwards of £5M each, granted it was 10 years ago but still, things move on.

It's not the metal casting manufacturers who need to invest, but our pattermakers. Although metal components can be made by 3D printing, they aren't usually as small as those we use, and it is hardly a mass production technique. Where its value lies, at least for our hobby, is in making plastic masters from which moulds can be made for resin or metal castings, either whitemetal or brass.

Jim

• Like 1

Actually once 3D printing becomes a little more affordable it makes you wonder how some of the metal casting manufacturers will cope, I hope they are investing in the new tech now!

We had 3D machines were I worked that produced parts so smooth it needed a loupe to see any surface flaws, then again those machines did cost upwards of £5M each, granted it was 10 years ago but still, things move on.

Well before we all 'shoot from the hip' we would need to know from the current manufacturer why the reproduction from the original brass masters is so bad.  They were reproduced in resin when we had them and had a really perfect surface finish.  Also it should be pointed out that because it was always intended they should be in resin in the kits - no metal casting shrinkage factor was allowed for at the pattern making stage - so in metal they would now be undersized by around 2% anyway.

I don't know where your 3d printing viability threshold fits in with the 4-CIG & 4-VEP kits for which this front end was made - but in the brief period I sold them, we only cleared around 4 4-CIG & 2 4-VEP kits in terms of sales.

David Parkins

• RMweb Premium

Well before we all 'shoot from the hip' we would need to know from the current manufacturer why the reproduction from the original brass masters is so bad.  They were reproduced in resin when we had them and had a really perfect surface finish.  Also it should be pointed out that because it was always intended they should be in resin in the kits - no metal casting shrinkage factor was allowed for at the pattern making stage - so in metal they would now be undersized by around 2% anyway.

I don't know where your 3d printing viability threshold fits in with the 4-CIG & 4-VEP kits for which this front end was made - but in the brief period I sold them, we only cleared around 4 4-CIG & 2 4-VEP kits in terms of sales.

David Parkins

Shooting from the hip?  You have seen cowboys around here David? :D 

It is the very low production quantities that printing comes into its own, a few hours on CAD with a decent operator (future patternmaker?) and then a day to print around half a dozen components (depending upon machine size, ours would have printed probably a few hundred in a couple of hours).

It is why it is called Rapid Prototyping, fast production of limited run components.....but then you knew that. :good:  

Now I know there's one in there somewhere with that correct statement  :tease:

I have made a couple of bolsters for the TC bogies so one coach is riding the rails now. I won't put a picture up as you have already seen me making these this afternoon on your spycam  :jester:

• Like 1

I have weathered this Heljan 60 for a friend and added the Fox Transrail branding. This one of a few that ran with arrows and depot plaques.

post-6766-0-50937900-1452097350.jpg

I also ran a 1 TC with my JLTRT 33/1 in push mode of coarse. Must get the other bogies sorted from Peter Clark for the other 3 coaches.

post-6766-0-56210400-1452097357.jpg

post-6766-0-43755100-1452097360.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

I'm so pleased I found this thread as I'm going to attempt to make a 'cheapy' TC from some Lima MK1s and some Easy-Build bogies/window etches. My standard of modelling is nowhere near yours but it's still nice to see how it's done professionally  :good_mini:

Just a quick question. Are you adding the small windows either side of the door and if so what are you using because from memory of travelling on these things, they appear to be smaller than normal MK1 windows?

Cheers

Mike

That will be 3 TC sets being done then! Who's going to do a REP then?

I am getting some window frames etched for these additional/odd windows.

By the way I have made one of the end gangways sprung, just need to get some more springs and 10ba bolts to do the other 7  :paint:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That will be 3 TC sets being done then! Who's going to do a REP then?

I am getting some window frames etched for these additional/odd windows.

By the way I have made one of the end gangways sprung, just need to get some more springs and 10ba bolts to do the other 7  :paint:

I'll be happy to buy some from you Brian as I thought I'd have to 'cut and shut' the Easy-Build ones - probably a bit beyond my new found modelling skill level  :O

Ok what have I done recently. 

Etched window frames from Easybuild on the sides and Peter Clark on the front added, MMP horns on the roof, front handrails just popped into place from Peter Clark, door hing etches from Easybuild, strip styrene added either side of doors and lower edge of cabs, windy wipers are from Peter Clark.

Superb work Brian, really inspiring, how are you ascertaining the window positions etc? Its great that BR standardised is much based around the MK1s as it helps the modeller of 7mm no end!

Very thick coat of primer  :no2:

Or filler primer from Steve at Model World/FMR?

I have weathered this Heljan 60 for a friend and added the Fox Transrail branding. This one of a few that ran with arrows and depot plaques.

attachicon.gif60063.jpg

I also ran a 1 TC with my JLTRT 33/1 in push mode of coarse. Must get the other bogies sorted from Peter Clark for the other 3 coaches.

attachicon.gif3311.jpg

attachicon.gif3312.jpg

You have captured the weathering on the Class 60 superbly well, lovely stuff!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher