Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• RMweb Premium

Pay attention Dave and read all that lovely writing I did, especially the first line!

Ahaa....cheers Brian, I have not heard of Powsides company, but have now :fool:   I thought it was just a generic term you were using for a private owners wagon milk tanker.

The 4TC is looking great! You have almost finished an entire unit in a fraction of the time it's taken me not to even finish a carriage. I was wondering how you're planning to turn those B4s into B5Ss. I was thinking of drawing up the extra bits and getting them etched for my CIG.

Hi Chris N is that your CIG I looked at on here a year ago?

Peter Clark is going to do the dampers in lost wax for me so if you want any I would suggest getting contact with him and order some.

Doing this TC with JLTRT coaches does help in getting a train together fairly quickly.

Had a go and made up the handbrake rodding on one of the DTSO's today. The wire is only push fitted into a piece of tube on the end of the bogie. It does stiffen up the rotation of the bogie but it just turns enough having given it a good push over the tightest bit of my garden layout.

post-6766-0-48440900-1459439214.jpg

post-6766-0-76867600-1459439215.jpg

post-6766-0-82815000-1459439216.jpg

post-6766-0-18299200-1459439218.jpg

post-6766-0-38667700-1459439219.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris N is that your CIG I looked at on here a year ago?

Peter Clark is going to do the dampers in lost wax for me so if you want any I would suggest getting contact with him and order some.

Doing this TC with JLTRT coaches does help in getting a train together fairly quickly.

Yes, that is me! Thanks for the advice. I have progressed a little more with the CIG and I should update the thread. I'll be watching your 4TC with interest

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. Since last August I had not been able to sign into my Flickr account but today I managed it  :imsohappy: I don't know what I did different to last times I had tried but it worked. So I am updating it slowly. I have also received the etches for the TC so am no busy cutting windows out. I will have it on my demo at the ALSRM show at Reading on Saturday. Still have not had the sloping tank supports though for my POW Sides milk tank.

Ah, that's better!

Really liking the work on the 4 TC cabs Brian.  Seeing the latest photos reminds of one thing that has always been puzzled me about these units and the 4 CIGs etc.: the position of the doors in relation to the vertical  beading.  I was told (no name to be mentioned!), though did not believe, that the doors should be flush to the beading not the side panels. 

I think your model looks correct.  But does anyone know for sure?  It would be a long journey for me to go and find a preserved unit to find out...

All the best,

Colin

I believe the Mk1 LHS at the Swanage yesterday that the door was flush with the beading and not the side panels (may have been BSO 9015 but I'm not certain).

Edited by steve1023

Ah, that's better!

Really liking the work on the 4 TC cabs Brian.  Seeing the latest photos reminds of one thing that has always been puzzled me about these units and the 4 CIGs etc.: the position of the doors in relation to the vertical  beading.  I was told (no name to be mentioned!), though did not believe, that the doors should be flush to the beading not the side panels. 

I think your model looks correct.  But does anyone know for sure?  It would be a long journey for me to go and find a preserved unit to find out...

All the best,

Colin

Here's the 4TC LUL unit Colin:

post-7290-0-28767000-1462616272_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Tom

Picked up the rest of the castings that I require to do the 4TC at the ALSRM show at Reading so straight onto it Saturday night and managed to get the jumpers in one end and the shocks on the bogie for this DTSO. I had also made up the Pete Harvey etches for the battery boxes and BIS box.

post-6766-0-35000600-1462730375.jpg

post-6766-0-61485700-1462730376.jpg

post-6766-0-65436600-1462730378.jpg

post-6766-0-70565300-1462730380.jpg

post-6766-0-42228100-1462730382.jpg

post-6766-0-13145300-1462730385_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-83074900-1462730386.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Amazing! Growing up in Southampton I travelled on these a lot and used to stand in the connection between cabs where you could see the speedometer. Although not as good as "driving" a Thumper from in the corridor behind the engine bay! 

Brian,

The 4TC is looking seriously good.  It's amazing how the models really come to life once the small details are added.

Are the etched details from Pete specials for yourself?

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

Hi Brian.

Fabulous work on the TC, many many happy memories of working Waterloo - Weymouth and Waterloo - Salisbury early in my career.

Just a point of note, have you realised that you have currently mounted the dual high level air pipe operating cock in the 'Open' position ?

Whilst the star valve in the brake pipe will be forced closed the main reservoir will be venting to the atmosphere!

Hope this helps ..

Mike

Oops thanks for that Mike  :blush: Must look more closely at pictures of them in service rather than on depots and preservation. I also assumed that like a brake pipe etc it would be pulled down to open them. As Benny Hill would say "learning all the time"

Oops thanks for that Mike  :blush: Must look more closely at pictures of them in service rather than on depots and preservation. I also assumed that like a brake pipe etc it would be pulled down to open them. As Benny Hill would say "learning all the time"

Hi Brian.

Life is a full time learning experience!! :D.

If this was the end to be coupled to the 33/1 it would be fine ... just remember to have the small red oval centre handle of the 33/1's high level air pipes raised at the coupled end too ( but only one pair on each of the 33/1 and the TC ), then you could join up the pipes, MU Jumper ( again one side only  - the same side as the air pipes, see attached blow up pic of a pair of 73's MU'd up. same principle ) and ETH jumpers on both sides with some small magnets and it will look the absolute Muts Nuts.

post-321-0-95997000-1462836194_thumb.jpg

HTH

Mike

Edited by meld