Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hi Brian.

Fabulous work on the TC, many many happy memories of working Waterloo - Weymouth and Waterloo - Salisbury early in my career.

Just a point of note, have you realised that you have currently mounted the dual high level air pipe operating cock in the 'Open' position ?

Whilst the star valve in the brake pipe will be forced closed the main reservoir will be venting to the atmosphere!

Hope this helps ..

Mike

Hello Mike, 

I am sure it is a slip of the buttons on your keyboard, but I think it typed that the star valve in the brake pipe will be forced closed. 

I am sure it meant to type the star valve in the main res pipe will be forced closed!!! 

Andrew

Added a couple of etched cab steps to one bogie that I got Pete Harvey to do. It's basically a folded up L shape bent into a U and 2 pieces of .4 wire soldered on the back then poked through holes in the sideframe. The tread is made from thin ply as the real ones are wood. I have put a couple of JLTRT safety strap whitemetal castings either side of the cetre bolster casting. They look ok but I just need another 32!

post-6766-0-92649600-1464212451.jpg

post-6766-0-08718200-1464212453.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hello Brian

Some time ago you described on here your build of the Easibuild Inspection Saloon. I commented at the time that I had also purchased one of these and can finally report having made a start on it! However I have encountered an issue which does not appear to have been commented on by yourself and wondered if you had encountered the same problem.

The attached photos will (hopefully) show that the curvature (tumblehome if you like) on the sides is much more pronounced than on the edges of the etched brass ends. Photographs of the prototype would suggest that the etched brass ends are the more correct.

Your photos show everything matching so did yours fit as supplied or did you have to resort to some re-shaping of the sides?

post-432-0-60742300-1467123816.jpg

post-432-0-44511600-1467123828.jpg

I have decided to fit each coach of the "Thumper" with it's own pick-ups rather than a jumper cable between each coach. I used 4mm sleeper strip attached to the bolster and some phospher bronze strip soldered on for the pick-ups. I would like to think I could get away with just one bogie on each coach with pick-ups, we shall see when I get to run it soon if the lights flicker or not. I have fitted the driving trailer with it's red/white LED worked from a Hornby loco decoder. This will also operate the ESU light strip, when I get some more of them.

Hi Brian,

May I ask who's bogies are these?

Are the BR1Bs converted to look like SR (8' 0"?)??

I am debating whos to use and either hack about or whether to get the correct ones, when I can source them (ABS or Slaters?)

BTW I have sent you a PM (sorry - LOL!).

Kindest,

CME

Hello Brian

Some time ago you described on here your build of the Easibuild Inspection Saloon. I commented at the time that I had also purchased one of these and can finally report having made a start on it! However I have encountered an issue which does not appear to have been commented on by yourself and wondered if you had encountered the same problem.

The attached photos will (hopefully) show that the curvature (tumblehome if you like) on the sides is much more pronounced than on the edges of the etched brass ends. Photographs of the prototype would suggest that the etched brass ends are the more correct.

Your photos show everything matching so did yours fit as supplied or did you have to resort to some re-shaping of the sides?

attachicon.gifDSCN5724.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5725.jpg

Hi Mike,

I too have one of these to do - it was a partial gift.

First of all I thought;- that the above (your photo and comments) is the, as much as I value EZBs kits and contribution to the hobby, one size fits all sides and thus one size fits all tumblehome, and after a quick check on the Thread (mind you my computer skills arnt upto teenager standards), I too couldnt find out how Brian did it......I was then considering a bodge for mine - car filler and papermache anyone (it would be just like some sills on 1970s cars that I have viewed in the past)?? LOL!

Then I thought that I would look at mine for you.

There is a slight gap on mine, nowhere as bad though, the curve on the brass end - to replicate the sides' tumblehome - is more pronounced and thus better on my kit (sorry!) - it also appears to have more meat at the lower edges that may need fettling back a little so as the match the plastic side - than yours appears to be AND yet the tumblehome on the side is as pronounced as yours (being the one size side - extruded - fits all).

I think that I am correct in saying that mine was one of the last batch of the first production from EasyBuild....so the same as yours?

Perhaps it might be worth you forwarding the photos to Shawn (he's a lovely guy, really helpful).....I wonder what Brian's thoughts are though?

Or; you could craft new ends from plastikard.

Kindest regards,

CME

PS My challenge with the three EZB kits I have is removing the extrusions marks on the sides - although I have to say that they are a lot, lot better on the Inspection Saloon, which is a later kit.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Mike,

I too have one of these to do - it was a partial gift.

First of all I thought;- that the above (your photo and comments) is the, as much as I value EZBs kits and contribution to the hobby, one size fits all sides and thus one size fits all tumblehome, and after a quick check on the Thread (mind you my computer skills arnt upto teenager standards), I too couldnt find out how Brian did it......I was then considering a bodge for mine - car filler and papermache anyone (it would be just like some sills on 1970s cars that I have viewed in the past)?? LOL!

Then I thought that I would look at mine for you.

There is a slight gap on mine, nowhere as bad though, the curve on the brass end - to replicate the sides' tumblehome - is more pronounced and thus better on my kit (sorry!) - it also appears to have more meat at the lower edges that may need fettling back a little so as the match the plastic side - than yours appears to be AND yet the tumblehome on the side is as pronounced as yours (being the one size side - extruded - fits all).

I think that I am correct in saying that mine was one of the last batch of the first production from EasyBuild....so the same as yours?

Perhaps it might be worth you forwarding the photos to Shawn (he's a lovely guy, really helpful).....I wonder what Brian's thoughts are though?

Or; you could craft new ends from plastikard.

Kindest regards,

CME

PS My challenge with the three EZB kits I have is removing the extrusions marks on the sides - although I have to say that they are a lot, lot better on the Inspection Saloon, which is a later kit.

Thanks for the reply.

As you say Easibuild seem to do one side extrusion which fits all the kits (just different size window openings and positions cut out to suit).

On the prototype the inspection saloon, is I believe based on a DMU, which has flatter sides than a MK1 coach, hence the difference.

I'm guessing Brian may have just reshaped the ends of the sides to match the etched ends, we'll see.

I have e-mailed Shawn about it but as yet am awaiting a reply, I'll keep you posted.

As you say Easibuild seem to do one side extrusion which fits all the kits (just different size window openings and positions cut out to suit).

On the prototype the inspection saloon, is I believe based on a DMU, which has flatter sides than a MK1 coach, hence the difference.

I'm guessing Brian may have just reshaped the ends of the sides to match the etched ends, we'll see.

I have e-mailed Shawn about it but as yet am awaiting a reply, I'll keep you posted.

If you get a reply I would be interested in it too as I have one of these to build as well.

Cheers

Lee

If you get a reply I would be interested in it too as I have one of these to build as well.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks for the reply.

Hi both,

It will be interesting to get to the bottom of.

Sorry for the hijack Brian.

ATVB

CME

Hi chaps. 

Could not get back to you yesterday as I was out playing with a Heljan 05  :locomotive:

Well I don't remember any problems with my Inspection Saloon on the corners. Here is a pic of it and it looks like a good fit with minimal filler. I think mine was one of the first ones he did but the etch should not have changed and the extrusion is the same I take it that he's been using for a long time.

post-6766-0-39482700-1467216423.jpg

As to my DEMU bogies they are JLTRT ones that I left the bolster off and used the Peter Clark bolsters instead. I do like these bogies as I used them on the Inspection Saloon as well.

post-6766-0-57210100-1467216436.jpg

• Like 3

Hi chaps. 

Could not get back to you yesterday as I was out playing with a Heljan 05  :locomotive:

Well I don't remember any problems with my Inspection Saloon on the corners. Here is a pic of it and it looks like a good fit with minimal filler. I think mine was one of the first ones he did but the etch should not have changed and the extrusion is the same I take it that he's been using for a long time.

attachicon.gifsaloon1.jpg

As to my DEMU bogies they are JLTRT ones that I left the bolster off and used the Peter Clark bolsters instead. I do like these bogies as I used them on the Inspection Saloon as well.

attachicon.gifdemu bogie.jpg

Thanks for the reply Brian

Shawn at Easibuild has offered to provide me replacement sides which are less curved. Can't really say fairer than that.

Hi chaps. 

attachicon.gifsaloon1.jpg

attachicon.gifdemu bogie.jpg

Hi Brian,

Thanks. I thought that they were JLTRT bogies=very nice. I have been looking at the bogies on Thumpers which appear to be the SR versions, ie the pre-cursors to the BR1Bs? I have noted some differences to yours and BR1Bs in general namely - even with your mods - the axleboxes.....any thoughts or ideas? I note that in the above photo yours are square yet I am sure that I spied round ones in another photo - are they sided? In addition the 'tie-bar' seems thinner ala SR practice. Or was it that when upgraded (1960s?) these units had their trailing bogies upgraded. Photographic evidence of the prototype is confusing. Please excuse my ignorance.

1) Did the Thumpers (205) use modified SR Bogies or Modified BR1B Bogies? (the latter seems more sensible, ie due to modernisation/standardisastion, but I dont know a lot about Eastliegh's practices);

2) If they are SR Bogies, are the Slaters' plastic kit for them suitable?

BTW Brian not sure if you have seen it but I have sent you a PM.

Thanks for the reply Brian

Shawn at Easibuild has offered to provide me replacement sides which are less curved. Can't really say fairer than that.

That's great customer service - mine seems to be a better fit than yours and not quite as good as Brian's (but mine should be okay)? Strange anomaly though as it should be the same etch time and time again....I hope that your replacement fits okay, if mine doesnt and when I get aroundtuit, I would knock something up out of plastikard or similar.

Kindest to all,

CME

Good lord no update for a month! All I have been doing is little bits here and there to get the 4 coaches all up to the same stage. Today though I have modified the guards compartment in the BSK. It is half the size of a normal one and it has a bank of electrical equipment in the wall. I got another etch for the van area from JLTRT as once the guards compartment is shrunk you need to extend the luggage cage. The extra etch that was supplied was not quite the same as the original but I don't think it will notice when the roofs on although I do plan to put lights in it at some stage. I have an old RJH seat to go in it after painting. I have also added 4 gangway buffers under the gangways on one DTSO. Must admit you can't see much of the front one but the inner one does show under there so I have ordered some more from JLTRT from their 33/1 kit. Still not decided what to do with the jumper cables in-between the coaches. I have ordered some magnets to see if that works as they have to be easily removable as this will live in a box and not on a layout.

post-6766-0-41852500-1467479379.jpg

post-6766-0-32891800-1467479380.jpg

post-6766-0-69860300-1467479381_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-75306200-1467479382_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-75637800-1467479383.jpg

post-6766-0-00789600-1467479385.jpg

post-6766-0-42867300-1467479386.jpg

post-6766-0-29180600-1467479387.jpg

post-6766-0-47206900-1467479388.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 12

Good lord no update for a month! All I have been doing is little bits here and there to get the 4 coaches all up to the same stage. Today though I have modified the guards compartment in the BSK. It is half the size of a normal one and it has a bank of electrical equipment in the wall. I got another etch for the van area from JLTRT as once the guards compartment is shrunk you need to extend the luggage cage. The extra etch that was supplied was not quite the same as the original but I don't think it will notice when the roofs on although I do plan to put lights in it at some stage. I have an old RJH seat to go in it after painting. I have also added 4 gangway buffers under the gangways on one DTSO. Must admit you can't see much of the front one but the inner one does show under there so I have ordered some more from JLTRT from their 33/1 kit. Still not decided what to do with the jumper cables in-between the coaches. I have ordered some magnets to see if that works as they have to be easily removable as this will live in a box and not on a layout.

As always Brian lovely, inspiring work!

Well I have started painting the TC. Ok, just the brake van interior actually. I tried to make a JLTRT letter rack to go on the wall next to the brake frame but gave up as my hands just could not slot it together. Added an etched signal ladder for the emergency ladder. Postman delivered some 4mm diameter by 1mm thick magnets that I will try to attach the 3D printed 4 way MU jumpers with as these will need to be removable as I have to keep taking models on and off layouts.

post-6766-0-21856800-1467723534.jpg

post-6766-0-11727800-1467723536_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-38528000-1467723537.jpg

post-6766-0-83893500-1467723538.jpg

post-6766-0-26679600-1467723540.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst the TC is on the back burner for a little bit whilst waiting for a few parts I thought I would have a bash at converting a new Heljan class 37 body, that came with the pink pre-production model, into an ETH one as 37425. After a rumage through the spares boxes I found I had enough bits to nearly finish it!

So what have I used:-

Pete Harvey

New etched bufferbeam, ETH bracket, Square panel under drivers window, boiler roof blanks, window frames and D above couplings.

JLTRT

ETH (from class 33), airpipes, vacuum pipe from 37, MU jumpers, buffers and headlight.

DJH

Nose side grills with an etched surround, fire pulls, headcode etches from Deltic kit and their whitemetal marker lights.

The marker lights and headlights have been drilled out to take a Miniatronics grain of rice bulbs as I do like a bulbs light to replicate a bulb. The headcode etch had to have the sides narrowed a little bit to get an even surround. Bufferbeams were cut away and plastic strip added for the beading. Boiler access steps and filler are filled as is the handrail holes in the ends. The chassis is from the 37 I converted a while back to 37250 which has a set of Pete Harvey's etched cab footsteps on already. 37425 had a set of cast bogies on it so I want to have a go at replicating these by taking the beading off the sides of some spare 37 sideframes. Unfortunatly I only have one set of snow ploughs and one spare 37 vacuum pipe at the moment, some more are on order from JLTRT so the other bufferbeam can't get any further until the postie does his bit. I have ordered some Severn Mill nameplates for it but they will be a while coming as he is moving house soon. I will be putting a Howes sound chip in this later.

post-6766-0-61360800-1469904774.jpg

post-6766-0-80636700-1469904775.jpg

post-6766-0-33564900-1469904777_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-47829500-1469904778.jpg

post-6766-0-66549200-1469904779.jpg

post-6766-0-72241800-1469904780.jpg

post-6766-0-28038700-1469904782_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-66283500-1469904783.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 13

I suppose I was asking about general glazing for locos as the often supplied items are not always that great. I try and use real glass (microscope slides) for the flat easy shapes, to really good effect. I have yet to try and shape any to fit a class 37 front for example.

I just wondered if you had any other way of filling these spaces?

Whilst the TC is on the back burner for a little bit whilst waiting for a few parts I thought I would have a bash at converting a new Heljan class 37 body, that came with the pink pre-production model, into an ETH one as 37425. After a rumage through the spares boxes I found I had enough bits to nearly finish it!

So what have I used:-

Pete Harvey

New etched bufferbeam, ETH bracket, Square panel under drivers window, boiler roof blanks, window frames and D above couplings.

JLTRT

ETH (from class 33), airpipes, vacuum pipe from 37, MU jumpers, buffers and headlight.

DJH

Nose side grills with an etched surround, fire pulls, headcode etches from Deltic kit and their whitemetal marker lights.

The marker lights and headlights have been drilled out to take a Miniatronics grain of rice bulbs as I do like a bulbs light to replicate a bulb. The headcode etch had to have the sides narrowed a little bit to get an even surround. Bufferbeams were cut away and plastic strip added for the beading. Boiler access steps and filler are filled as is the handrail holes in the ends. The chassis is from the 37 I converted a while back to 37250 which has a set of Pete Harvey's etched cab footsteps on already. 37425 had a set of cast bogies on it so I want to have a go at replicating these by taking the beading off the sides of some spare 37 sideframes. Unfortunatly I only have one set of snow ploughs and one spare 37 vacuum pipe at the moment, some more are on order from JLTRT so the other bufferbeam can't get any further until the postie does his bit. I have ordered some Severn Mill nameplates for it but they will be a while coming as he is moving house soon. I will be putting a Howes sound chip in this later.

Brian that really takes the model to another level! Who's etches are the window surrounds?

Kindest,

CME

I suppose I was asking about general glazing for locos as the often supplied items are not always that great. I try and use real glass (microscope slides) for the flat easy shapes, to really good effect. I have yet to try and shape any to fit a class 37 front for example.

I just wondered if you had any other way of filling these spaces?

Hi DG,

If its any help, the acrylic product that Peter Cowling can supply - if one doesnt want to use glass-slides or similar - is excellent, clear, strong, reasonable thickness and relatively scratch resistant, most kits I have, with the exception of Easy Build's excellent pre-moulded glazing, get their second rate glazing replaced with Peter's product.

I am looking forward to hearing what Brian uses though.

ATVB to all,

CME