Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Sorted out the lighting although it's not 100% tidy as I am still not sure if I will stick a chip in it just yet but it all works.

I have used some old Heljan connectors to join the body to the chassis.

post-6766-0-20837700-1507049090.jpg

A sleeper PCB split into two makes a good  bus bar to solder wires etc to.

post-6766-0-00922000-1507049104.jpg

I filed the little nipples off the LED's so they just about fit in the recess. I drilled a 3mm recess for the left LED to sit in so I did not have to damage the interior and a hole through for the right LED will be hid by the desk.

post-6766-0-83805100-1507049121.jpg

All looks ok.

post-6766-0-02663600-1507049137.jpg

Lights are a bit bright so might try going over the rear of the paper headcode with a black felt tip. I think a bigger resistor might help to dull them down a bit as this was only on about half speed.

post-6766-0-35025800-1507049182.jpg

Tail light works as well. Modelled before two lights was mandatory.

post-6766-0-70986000-1507049157.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the headcode boxes Brian - I wasn't sure illumination was possible with such a shallow aperture, but as you've proved, it can be done. Is it just me though, or do the characters look a little over-nourished?

Regards

Dan

Brian

Inspirational stuff as always here, maybe now that you are retired you could do a step by step on painting and finishing a model, The lovely class 47 perhaps. I understand that some steps could not be shown as "once you have started you have to finish".It would be very interesting indeed though

Can I ask your advice? I have a Heljan class 26 missing a lamp iron and a quick check of Howes site confirms it does not come as a spare part any advice gratefully recieved

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted out the lighting although it's not 100% tidy as I am still not sure if I will stick a chip in it just yet but it all works.

8>< snip ><8

Tail light works as well. Modelled before two lights was mandatory.

attachicon.gifIMG_8815.jpg

Dumb question.  If two lights weren't mandatory, why would they put the 2nd one in on the opposite side just to blank it out?

Lovely weathering on that 05...

Dumb question.  If two lights weren't mandatory, why would they put the 2nd one in on the opposite side just to blank it out?

Lovely weathering on that 05...

The other tail light was basically a spare should the bulb blow in one. Always made me think that if units and light loco's have to have two reds then why not hauled stock, freight and passenger?

Sorry for a few gaps in replying here but this retirement lark is never ending, I'm never in! Just had a week in Switzerland hunting Re 6/6's amongst others.

post-6766-0-90292400-1508427622.jpg

post-6766-0-66868900-1508427639.jpg

Class 27

I can't find any in my sprues I'm afraid. You could get some lost wax ones from JLTRT?

I must do something about the weathering stuff for you but it's basically spray on and rub off with a paper towel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Any idea as to why those check rails are set so high in that photo above?

Can't answer for that specific case, but have a look over in the Trams/Tramways section, the thread about the Sheffield Supertram/Rotherham tram-train extension has images and explanations about tram train flanges or wheels being different and needing a higher check rail when running on shared track.  Might or might not be the same here...

Edited by JDW

Brian

Thanks for the reply

I fancy having a go at a JLTRT CCT so I can hopefully get some lamp irons when I order it. I appreciate you looking for me

I think there are a lot of people hoping you will do a weathering piece on here

cheers

Nearly there with 47004. Now painted and glazed and cab interiors put in. But the interiors now make the chassis slightly lower by about  1mm so the ploughs are sitting a bit low now. I have removed them and cut 1mm off the extra support I had to make so they are again sitting snug up against the bottom of the bufferbeam.

post-6766-0-97518700-1509473733.jpg

post-6766-0-95407400-1509473744.jpg

Precision Labels did a cracking job on the lettering under the secondman's side.

post-6766-0-00169900-1509473724.jpg

• Like 15