Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Good to have you back Mike. Wait till it's got some muck on the 26, think it will look stunning (It better had after saying thatblush.gif ). Hows your 40 dare I ask?

good Brian thank you, no real progress on it sadly, been a little busy over the last few months and still havent got round to getting the bits to finish it off, but its going to be a nice thing to work on over the holidays.

I did pay a visit to my local o gauge society the other day for the first time, the west lancs o gauge group, I took it along it and its certainly reignited my interest to get it finished. the guys there seemed to like it :) and theyre a real nice bunch, I will be joining in the next week or so and when theyve got one of theyre test track lines available for dcc running ill be able to give it a good run :)

Mike

Its a cracking model you have there Brian, got mine a couple of days ago. I still think the cab side window is not quite right, I have told Laurie. The outside dimensions look bang on, but look at the slanted pillar?

Its too thick! When I do mine this will be cut out and replaced. We are back to the old Lima effect with significant unprototypical window cills.

Having said that, that is the only VERY minor thing wrong with a breathtaking kit and I can fix it in under 10 minutes. I might even just fit a complete pane of glazing and use a bow pen to line the slanted window divider onto it. Couple of coats would do the trick nicely and build it up to a prototypical metal thickness.

Either that or cut two pieces of glazing to fit in more flush like.

I have an old RJH Class 26 and it has never been finished, but this JLTRT 26 will be!

post-6766-12581362997834_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12565644752853_thumb.jpg

Done a bit of weathering to the 26 today. It looks better in the flesh I think, the pictures don't show it much for some reason. Anyway you can see and hear it for yourself at Warley on the Rail Express stand.

I had to put the sound chip in sideways as the body mounts in the centre of the loco get in the way of laying it flat on the chassis. Again I have used a stock 40mm speaker.

As for the windows Cliffe I think whats happening here is that they are a bit deep. If you could "flush glaze" it, it would look better maybe.

Looking out the window now for a man in a van with a 26/0 kit under his armrolleyes.gif

post-6766-1258398930602_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12583989373389_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12583989445176_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12583989499751_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Great work as always!

In the photo showing the sound chip and speaker etc. I can see the bottom of the fan housing. Have you made the fan work as well as the lighting and sound? Also, have you put in smoke generators - I couldn't see any but perhaps I missed them?

I especially remember seeing your Deltic with the two smoke generators and found that they really brought the model to life.

All the best and see you at Warley.

Pete Storey

PS: I still trying to find your blog on building a Western but can't seem to access it. :(

Hi Pete

Are you thinking of Dan Randells class 52 build on the old forum? I don't think he's transfered it over to here yet.

You are quite right that there is no smoke or rad fan working. I did a rad fan in a JLTRT 37 and to be honest it does not do much for me. Niether does smoke. As you said I tried it but it still does not look convincing enough to me. I just stick to lights these days. Lets be honest these models sit on a shelf 99.9% of the time so I just want them to look the part.

Hi Pete

Are you thinking of Dan Randells class 52 build on the old forum? I don't think he's transfered it over to here yet.

You are quite right that there is no smoke or rad fan working. I did a rad fan in a JLTRT 37 and to be honest it does not do much for me. Niether does smoke. As you said I tried it but it still does not look convincing enough to me. I just stick to lights these days. Lets be honest these models sit on a shelf 99.9% of the time so I just want them to look the part.

Thanks Brian.

I had been told that you had written about building the Western so sorry about the confusion. I'll try and find Dan Randells blog.

It does sound very nice Peter. Just need another 10 all idling away at 05:00 in the morning to replicate Inverness after doing the overnight from Glasgowcool.gif Ah happy days.

Thats a super picture Brian, I think if you allowed 25s and 26s you would be close to ten locos,biggrin.gif I am thinking you will be getting a 27 or two when they come out, so ten locos shouldn't be a problem.laugh.gif If you do ever build a layout it will have to be a big depot.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete

Hi Brian, superb work again as always! cool.gif I agree with you about the fans and smoke. I was looking at doing my 56 as lights, sound working fans etc, but as it will spend most of its days on a display shelf, I will probably just maybe stick to lights now.

Cheers

Simon

You are right Cliff I have not done the red thingy on this. I did on my 20052 and boy is it loud. I think it could be heard across the NEC hall when I ramped it up full volume. I might move the pin when I go inside the 26 again to see how much louder it makes it.

Regarding the smoke and fans Simon apart from the fact I am more than content to look at the models stood still it probebly has something to do with the fact that I am getting too lazy to do it!