Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Sorry to drag this slightly off topic (forgive me Brian!) but on the subject of FNAs does anyone have up to date contact details for Appleby Model Engineering?

I've found various addresses and phone numbers and contacted them all but with no joy. Are they still trading?

Thanks

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Anthony, Look in your message inbox, I just sent you Johns last address I contacted him at, although he was in hospital at the time I have not heard since and do sincerely hope he is now fully recovered.

The FNA kit is an excellent resin and cast metal component kit which goes together very well and looks brilliant finished (although I am still awaiting good weather to paint it).

John's production is a bit sporadic as I beleive he waits until he has a few people on his waiting list before he gets another small batch cast, but it is well worth the wait.

Jeff I had word with Pete at Reading about Falcon and I was left with impression that he was warming to the idea :sungum: not so sure about Laurie though.Keep up the pressure. Got to admit Kestrel in 7mm would be awsome and I am sure people would want one as it just looks the dogs dangly's.

Brian

Register you interest on Jeffs new thread on modelling Questions.

The Clayton has now had a couple of good test runs so I think it's about ready for a coat of BR Blue.

In the mean time I am back on some ASAM Military vehicles to go on the Warwell I have aquire recently as a test etch for an up and coming model. I don't know when the warflat will be available but I want a few more of them.

I have built a Bedford MK lorry with a radio room on the back. Must admit I am a bit unsure if the lorry is a bit out of guage now so might leave the radio room off. Also built a FV432 which I like a lot, wish I had got a train load of these now. Only problem with these products is they are heavy and when you have a dozen on a train you definatly need a Heljan loco to pull them! I have another Bedford MK to build with a canvas top to it.

post-6766-0-01730100-1337616564.jpg

post-6766-0-61495100-1337616567.jpg

post-6766-0-57041100-1337616573.jpg

post-6766-0-23982200-1337616577.jpg

post-6766-0-96695400-1337616583.jpg

post-6766-0-31170900-1337616557.jpg

• Like 4

From what I understand the Warwell will be available from Hobby Holidays but with diamond bogies, as built. The bogies under this one are borrowed from one of my Appleby Warflats I have. The Warwell is as built without the extra wide bits welded on the top sections in the eary 80's.

Edited by brian daniels

The Clayton has now had a couple of good test runs so I think it's about ready for a coat of BR Blue.

In the mean time I am back on some ASAM Military vehicles to go on the Warwell I have aquire recently as a test etch for an up and coming model. I don't know when the warflat will be available but I want a few more of them.

I have built a Bedford MK lorry with a radio room on the back. Must admit I am a bit unsure if the lorry is a bit out of guage now so might leave the radio room off. Also built a FV432 which I like a lot, wish I had got a train load of these now. Only problem with these products is they are heavy and when you have a dozen on a train you definatly need a Heljan loco to pull them! I have another Bedford MK to build with a canvas top to it.

post-6766-0-01730100-1337616564.jpg

post-6766-0-61495100-1337616567.jpg

post-6766-0-57041100-1337616573.jpg

post-6766-0-23982200-1337616577.jpg

post-6766-0-96695400-1337616583.jpg

post-6766-0-31170900-1337616557.jpg

Hi Brian,

Nice work - good to see the Bedford progressing well

ATVB

CME

Sorry things have been a bit quiet on my thread recently but my computer has had to go into hospital. It started shutting down after about 5mins so I am waiting for the fan to be sorted as the plastic housing was perished and allowed the fan to move. So I am on the laptop for a bit and most of my files are on the other computer.

Anyway I recieved a set of 31 etches from Pete Harvey this week to use on the forthcoming Heljan 31. Thought it would be rude not to use them on a pre-production model! So here are some of them. There is around blank to go over the boiler exhaust if you want an NB one, a front corridor blank without the steps and a set of steps to solder up later. There is a nice rad etch in the roof that has a bigger mesh than the supplied one so you can see the fan better. Although I wil have to add the 2 strips under the mesh.

I have also got hold of a JLTRT TPO coach so I am just ordering all the other little bits to get that ready for building.

Last week I went to see John Talbot and I am glad to see that he is doing well. He said my visit has given him some insperation to get and do a bit now that he's feeling better. I got some transfers and paint off him to do a Skytrex PCA in the Turquoise Albright & Wilson livery. Mind you that will be on the back burner as I found I need a new lower fork leg on my motorbike as a lug has snapped that holds a brake caliper on.

post-6766-0-61962400-1338392935.jpg

post-6766-0-51738100-1338392939.jpg

post-6766-0-33205600-1338392945.jpg

post-6766-0-17937000-1338392949.jpg

post-6766-0-61438700-1338392952.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 5

I've found a supplier of mesh on e-bay at VERY reasonable prices. It's genuine woven mesh, in brass and comes in sizes suitable for "O" to "N".

It's here: http://www.ebay.co.u...sid=p4340.l2562

I have no contact with the supplier, but intend buying some almost scale stuff for "Falcon".

His stuff labelled "large" comes out at 2.1 scale inches mesh, (against a true mesh of 2"), and 0.6 inch diameter wire, against a true diameter of 0.25".....the trade-off is for srength, I reckon.

Edited by JeffP

As Rolf Harris would say "can you tell what it is yet?"

Yes I am doing this as an ex High Dyke token fitted one, one recess done so far. I have also done one of the etched steps. The little black blobs in the recess are the Archer water slide rivets, can't wait to see if they show up when it's painted.

Forgot to say that the worksplate is from Sevenmill.

post-6766-0-79162300-1338558838.jpg

post-6766-0-13537200-1338558842.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 3

Looking good Brian, I'm sure I'll be able to make use of some of those bits.

The snapped lug on the fork leg is something that happened to me many moons ago. Difference was it was the old drum brake and when it broke the drum spun around, coiling the brake cable around with it and applying the front brake rather sharply, hasten to say I never stayed on the bike

Could have been nasty Jeff it had locked like Trevors. Where it's snapped it is covered in a white powdery stuff. I suspect it's good old English salt verses Japanese casting and I think the salt won!

Hi Brian,

Lucky escape!

How old is the bike?

The Jap's outsource a lot of casting now and it aint what is used to be with or without UK road-salt!!!

Just thinking that most of the Heljan stuff comes in a form which is akin to an Airfix kit, shame that they dont sell 'em like that (ala Tamiya et al.) as I would buy them that way, better cost, add own preferred gears and motors, tweek, modify and paint to suit etc....

Of course Heljan want to 'add value' and thus profit, yet the cost of their version of VAT and the cost of living over there, is making their locos more of a 'considered purchase' for many over here (especially with the advent of Dapol in the market place) - more so if mortgages go up!

ATVB

CME

Could have been nasty Jeff it had locked like Trevors. Where it's snapped it is covered in a white powdery stuff. I suspect it's good old English salt verses Japanese casting and I think the salt won!

Looks like corrosion caused by having different metals in close proximity, the salt (solutions) act as an electrolyte. I've seen it on mountain bikes too, before I wernt to Titanium frames.

Then white powdery stuff is metal salts caused by the process, and are what cause alloy/steel interference fits to bind solid.

When you put it together again, use something in bewtween like a layer of Copper Slip.

Hi Brian,

The class 31 is looking great, as do pete's etches. I noticed the boiler port is sealed, as it is on my Hornby model. I am thinking of drilling it out, do you know if there was any mesh recessed in the hole? it is quite big.

Cheers Peter.

Looks like corrosion caused by having different metals in close proximity, the salt (solutions) act as an electrolyte. I've seen it on mountain bikes too, before I wernt to Titanium frames.

Then white powdery stuff is metal salts caused by the process, and are what cause alloy/steel interference fits to bind solid.

When you put it together again, use something in bewtween like a layer of Copper Slip.

Agreed.

On my motorbikes and then mountainbikes I would apply copper-ease, grease, petroleum gel, etc. etc. to alloys, chrome etc.....

ATB

CME

Hi chaps

The local bike shop will be doing the repairs for me as I just like riding them and in 38 years of bikes have never had any inclination to get down and dirty with them. I can't understand it really as I love pulling models to bits!

PCM If you drill out the boiler exhaust ther was no mesh in there just the top of the boiler inerds.

Recieved a JLTRT TPO this week, more on that later.