Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

If you blow into the picture from 5th September showing the roof curve you can see they are barely raised above the body. They are like recessed pop rivets? On the model they are indeed recessed on the outside of the model so not intended to be pushed through as rivets or you would have them on the inside. Hope that's clear.

• Like 1

If you blow into the picture from 5th September showing the roof curve you can see they are barely raised above the body. They are like recessed pop rivets? On the model they are indeed recessed on the outside of the model so not intended to be pushed through as rivets or you would have them on the inside. Hope that's clear.

I'll get a photo later, close up. IIRC, those further down the curve are indeed convex rather than flush, pretty certain they're small dome-headed blind rivets.

I won't be able to photograph above the cantrail/orange line for obvious reasons!

Photo should show this though, and if so there's always Archers decals...

Ok windscreen dimensions:

Centre screen, 510mm wide x 680 height

Driver's and Secondman's screen, 660 wide x 680 height next to the centre screen, the height reduces to 650mm at the outer edges.

The dividing bars (frames either side of the centre window) are 115mm wide.

The corner radii are 50mm ie 2".

All dimensions taken internally, ie the sizes are of the visible glass. Taken with a 300mm rule, measurements should be accurate to within 2-3mm.

HTH.

Also, do you recall that I mentioned the cabside window sections taper in slightly?

Just measured and photographed this, the window section is recessed by 45mm in relation to the lower cabside at the door end of the droplight, this increases to 70mm at the corner pillar.

It isn't much, but maybe you can discern it from the photo.

Sorry, unable to photograph the roof rivets due to poor light and proximity to OLE.

post-10566-0-68694900-1538606386_thumb.jpeg

Been busy on the 86 the last few days.

post-6766-0-25790100-1539167340_thumb.jpg

Roof detail nearly done but there is an extra box in the kit to go on the bit I tinned but I can't see it any pictures so that will need sorting. I have filled 4 of the sunken cantrail panels to see what it comes out like. Mildly pleased with it but they need for filling and smoothing, will be a long messy job to do all of them.

post-6766-0-33341100-1539167314_thumb.jpg

Judith Edge pantograph made up and fitted on 4 lost wax insulators that are supplied in the class 86 kit. It's footprint is a bit wider that the single arm one supplied so will have to fill the 4 holes in the roof that are now visible.

post-6766-0-85274600-1539167361_thumb.jpg

Compressor cradle is just a flat etch as supplied with no depth to it so I have beefed it up with square brass rod. I had to break off and move out the electrical conduit in-front of the compressor cradle or the cradle sat too far back.

post-6766-0-92804600-1539167392_thumb.jpg

Pantograph, roof, cab roofs and bogies are not fixed yet so apologies if something is not lined up square.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 9

I seems to work ok Mike. That's as far as it want's to go up mind you so might struggle going over a level crossing! The head wants to sit at an angle instead of horizontal though but that is just like the real ones until they hit the contact wire I believe. Not sure how the air ram arm would be connected to one of these to raise and lower it. There is one in the 86 kit for the supplied Stone Faively one but don't know if it's position on the roof would be he same. Can't find any roof shots of one of these cross arm ones.

Yes the insulators are a the ones supplied with the lost wax single arm pantograph in the loco kit.

• RMweb Premium

I seems to work ok Mike. That's as far as it want's to go up mind you so might struggle going over a level crossing! The head wants to sit at an angle instead of horizontal though but that is just like the real ones until they hit the contact wire I believe. Not sure how the air ram arm would be connected to one of these to raise and lower it. There is one in the 86 kit for the supplied Stone Faively one but don't know if it's position on the roof would be he same. Can't find any roof shots of one of these cross arm ones.

Yes the insulators are a the ones supplied with the lost wax single arm pantograph in the loco kit.

The 4mm one I built goes up a lot further than that, not sure what is restricting yours.

Been busy on the 86 the last few days.

attachicon.gifIMG_0097.JPG

Roof detail nearly done but there is an extra box in the kit to go on the bit I tinned but I can't see it any pictures so that will need sorting. I have filled 4 of the sunken cantrail panels to see what it comes out like. Mildly pleased with it but they need for filling and smoothing, will be a long messy job to do all of them.

attachicon.gifIMG_0101.JPG

Judith Edge pantograph made up and fitted on 4 lost wax insulators that are supplied in the class 86 kit. It's footprint is a bit wider that the single arm one supplied so will have to fill the 4 holes in the roof that are now visible.

attachicon.gifIMG_0098.JPG

Compressor cradle is just a flat etch as supplied with no depth to it so I have beefed it up with square brass rod. I had to break off and move out the electrical conduit in-front of the compressor cradle or the cradle sat too far back.

attachicon.gifIMG_0104.JPG

Pantograph, roof, cab roofs and bogies are not fixed yet so apologies if something is not lined up square.

Stunngi work as usual Brian!

Finally started to weather Sidmouth. Just a basic bit of spraying and wiping clean to start with then I will do a bit with powders and dry brushing.

Mr Jarvis's rebuilds were damn' fine looking machines - almost Continental I think.  And you've made a splendid job of it.  Should I win the lottery, I shall make you an offer you can't refuse for it Brian.

• RMweb Premium

From traintesting.com:

A pic of one on Test Car MENTOR , early '70s: http://www.traintesting.com/images/GEC%20pan%20st%20andrews%20wharf.jpg

One on Lab 26 in 1973 (has an extra top arm and instrumentation): http://www.old-dalby.com/images/GEC_cross_arm_pan.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the links Keefer, very usefull.

I just had a trip to Barrow Hill to see the class 85 there to measure the V hanger for the 86 bogie.

post-6766-0-02412300-1539537957_thumb.jpg

Look how smooth the cantrail curve is! Going to have to do something to it.

post-6766-0-48736700-1539538011_thumb.jpg

Thankfully the 82 was outside so you could get a view of the pantograph, shame it wasn't up, but I have a better idea of how the air motor is on these to raise and lower them.

post-6766-0-94188800-1539538110_thumb.jpg

I have motored it as well over the weekend so it's now mobile!

• Like 6

Maybe you need to explain....  :scratchhead:

It's the reaction of the King to the wine - the blank look and 'what is that?' question.

Kind of a bit like my reaction to a Steam Loco on what has predominantly been a Diesel Thread up to now (with a very nice Sparky currently being discussed - it'll be Blue, is what really matters!!) 

Just my sense of humour - again... :( :fool: