I have recently got PH Designs to do a drop in etch grill mesh for the cantrail grills for the Heljan 7mm 33. Think they improve it's look.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

• Like 9

Something else Iv'e been working on is converting a Heljan 7mm 33 to a Hastings gauge one. It's not easy and it's going to be a long job as I'm going to have to get some bits etched for it. But it's coming along.

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Good luck Brian, the tricky bit will be the fibreglass roof locks that go into and over the cantrail vents.

You are one clever bloke, Brian.

When you get stuff etched, do you do the CAD work yourself.

Your too kind Jeff. I must admit it's a lot easier doing this much surgery when it's a spare body!

I get Pete Harvey to the CAD as well, I would not know where to start.

I have added some JLTRT tail light castings and placed in a couple of windscreen wipers which thankfully cover a bit of the join/filling there. What I'm doing at the moment is filling and rubbing down then filling and rubbing down again. I have cut out the exhaust as it's got to sit on top of the new panel when I get round to it. I'm tempted to wait and fit new etched cantrail grills first then do the panels to fit.

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Nice work. You obviously took a slice out through each cab window - did you go along the roof at exactly the same point (presumably somewhere through the cantrail grills?).

• Informative/Useful 1

There is a path along the roof from as you say by the windscreen wipers right over the top of the cantrail grills and below the roof fibreglass panels. This then also goes under the rad grill and above the rectangular rad access panel, a nice straight line, well straight'ish with my hacksaw blade.

• Informative/Useful 1

BTW,

On the new version of RMW, are you reducing photo file size - as in times past - I've encountered a 10mb a day limit?

Thanks in anticipation.

CME

9 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Reminds me of doing Lima conversions.

...and that was just to narrow them to the normal loading gauge :jester:

• Agree 1

Decided to do a couple of more Simon BR Blue 3D print wagons so starting with the PAV grain hopper.The white parts are from Shapeways ans if you want one get intouch with Simon and he will do the hopper and roof on his home set up. The hopper is a little liny but I covered it in Squadron Green putty and rubbed it down and it looks ok now. This will be in the dark blue livery but stuck for transfers at the moment.

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 8

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress Brian. I have been looking at the PAA version to do in the Green Grainflow livery. I was thinking of getting the frame as you have a building the hopper out of plastic sheet I'll see how you get on before ordering, I've plenty to keep me occupied at the moment.

Al.

This is how the hopper arrived with Simons 3D printing, nice and flat surfaces so it's easy to sand and fill and sand and fill, you get the idea.

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_8900.JPG

• Like 2

As well as building the PAV grain wagon I also got hold of a Polybulk covered hopper from Simon BR Blue. He supplied the body in two halves and the rest come via Shapeways. The main body does need a fare bit of filling and rubbing down but you get a smooth surface in the end. I have used Slaters vac pipes and lamp brackets and JLTRT airpipes I still had thankfully, buffers are Appleby and couplings are Heljan. I had a couple of etched label clips that I bought from a shop in Germany a few years ago, there is a 3D print one supplied. I have put some lead in the bottom but think I will add another bit. I have a set of transfers from Appleby to do it as a Traffic Services livery. I still have to put some mesh on the end walkway platform.

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3