Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hi CME

I have not tried an MMP coach just Westdale and JLTRT. I think I will stick with JLTRT and make up a rake of blue and grey.

That weathering is just superb, the best rust I have seen :)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the kind words.

The MMP coaches look superb/museum standard, yet judging by Darren Sherwood Jones' project in MR they could take a life time to build :blink::D

The Westdales look good, yet I was concerned about painting ali - even with the right primers...

Looking forward to seeing more of the Blue and Grey Mk1's :)

ATB,

CME

Brian

Thanks I didn't think the kit included bits for the toilet end hand rail.

As for MMP coaches I made a pair of their bogies but it took over 30 hours, at that rate it would take me 10 years to build a rake of coaches !

I'm sticking to JLTRT too not are they quick to build but I think they have the body shape spot on.

Richard

Hi Richard

I too have a limited life span and could not see me making a rake of MMP MkI's, as good as they are, and they are damn nice when done it's just too much for me. I think i have built too many JLTRT kits now, they are in my blood :(

Did you notice that I also changed the vac cylinders on this coach and I will change the dynamo on any subsequent builds. I used Westdale lost wax grab handles on the doors as the JLTRT cast ones are a bit tired (polite way of putting it)

CME, are you going to do a workbench thread on re-building your Lima's and other stuff youve done?

Hi Richard

I too have a limited life span and could not see me making a rake of MMP MkI's, as good as they are, and they are damn nice when done it's just too much for me. I think i have built too many JLTRT kits now, they are in my blood :(

Did you notice that I also changed the vac cylinders on this coach and I will change the dynamo on any subsequent builds. I used Westdale lost wax grab handles on the doors as the JLTRT cast ones are a bit tired (polite way of putting it)

CME, are you going to do a workbench thread on re-building your Lima's and other stuff youve done?

Hi Brian :)

I have a Workshop Thread and a Layout Thread on another site........may start one here, yet only so many hours in the day and I dont seem to get enough time to maintain my Threads on the other site.

I was happy just chatting with you guys.....if that is okay........I hope that I havnt hijacked your Thread :unsure::)......not much more to show as yet anyway :lol:

If I havent here are some more MK1 bits.......Please forgive the murky solvent on the underframe...I was using the dregs from an old bottle of Plasticmagic :D. The underframe is a 'reprentation' for these coaches a MK1 version for a MK1 :D (if you see what I mean) these are to be 'layout models'...not musuem standard (if I could achieve such) by any stretch.

Richard, I think that Darren Sherwood-Jones took 50 hrs to build those bogies....you did well to build in 30 hrs....I use Easy Builds (I will add some brake detail one day)....the JLTRT bogies look nice, yet not sure if they are available separately?

CME :)

P.S I have Posted a photo twice - apologies for that, I endeavoured to remove it without sucess :rolleyes:

post-11256-0-37128600-1299158594_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-65125900-1299158607_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-15634100-1299158626_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-33901100-1299158627_thumb.jpg

Personally I think it is hard to beat MMP stock in terms of detail, but unless you have a fair chunk of spare time available they could take a while build. I am now up to 210 hours with an MMP GUV and am now at the painting stage - the result is truly fantastic but for the average person who has a life to be getting on with 210 hours probably does represent a good years work. The MMP coaches are more expensive than JLTRT but I find the MMP offering that little bit more challenging than the JLTRT equivalent, so MMP gets my vote every time. Easybuild does score very well as the Mk1s a decent for the price and are exactly that - easy to build, but I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to building models and unless I have to do at least some keyhole surgery I'm not happy!

The MMP coaches look superb/museum standard, yet judging by Darren Sherwood Jones' project in MR they could take a life time to build

Not this pointless debate about kit build times again!

I must say that I feel this discussion is somewhat unfair on MMP because we would be the first to admit that our Mk.1 kits are not really practical if you want to run rakes of ten coaches around the garden - what would be the point anyway? The number of coaches would swamp the detail present on any individual vehicle.

As we say of our Mk.1 coaches on our web site - "They will appeal to those modellers who desire just a few coaches built to the very highest level of detail". So why the debate? There is no point in criticising MMP kits over their build-times because you would obviously not choose an MMP kit if this factor was of any importance to you at all - or if you needed stock for a 10 coach or 30 wagon train. It would just be ridiculous.

Our kits are ideal for someone who is of the mindset that 'less is more' - maybe 2 locos, 2-4 coaches, 6-8 wagons [something like that] and who likes to build as much as [or more than] just run stuff - and whose scenics might be like this - http://public.fotki.com/chuckdoan/model_projects/ - my very favourite modelling web site and totally inspirational but a very different hobby in a way. I think [to follow on from this link] - 7mm does lend itself very well to diorama modelling.

As I say, its all about 'Less is More'.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

• Like 2

If I had the time (studying is more intense these days for a degree) I would happily build another 6 pack of MMP dogfish, the last 3 are in the paint shop.

I always look for afordability and detail and find MMP in my price bracket, not everyone can afford a rake of JLTRT coaches.

Ian G

Not this pointless debate about kit build times again!

I must say that I feel this discussion is somewhat unfair on MMP because we would be the first to admit that our Mk.1 kits are not really practical if you want to run rakes of ten coaches around the garden - what would be the point anyway? The number of coaches would swamp the detail present on any individual vehicle.

As we say of our Mk.1 coaches on our web site - "They will appeal to those modellers who desire just a few coaches built to the very highest level of detail". So why the debate? There is no point in criticising MMP kits over their build-times because you would obviously not choose an MMP kit if this factor was of any importance to you at all - or if you needed stock for a 10 coach or 30 wagon train. It would just be ridiculous.

Our kits are ideal for someone who is of the mindset that 'less is more' - maybe 2 locos, 2-4 coaches, 6-8 wagons [something like that] and who likes to build as much as [or more than] just run stuff - and whose scenics might be like this - http://public.fotki....model_projects/ - my very favourite modelling web site and totally inspirational but a very different hobby in a way. I think [to follow on from this link] - 7mm does lend itself very well to diorama modelling.

As I say, its all about 'Less is More'.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

Hi David :)

Sorry to Hijack your Thread Brian:unsure:

No debate intended upon my behalf :D David (you should know me better than that by now) - I am not debating anything, I just wanted to Post/chat etc....with the guys here, I wouldnt critise MMP coaches, in fact I praised them, they must be the best in class for 7mm BR MK1's (I hope that clarifies my position for you).

I believe that it is unfair to use my quotation........and........As I always say each to their own.........I think it is all about personal prefence and 'appropriatness/fit for purpose'.........I, at this time in my life, havent the time to build lots of brass kits (up to 14 coaches), and from a 'recycling' point of view, I have a fair bit of Lima stuff, so that will get me up and running as a realtive newcomer..no the Lima's aint right, with some cut and shut they will do for now :) and maybe if I choose to upgrade I can then sell them on. At this time it isnt appropriate, as much as I would really love to, for me to model BR MK1's using the MMP kit. Perhaps if I win the lottery (and could pay others to modelmake for me) I could then comission a team to build such for me B). I love Jack Ray's work and I enjoy railway operation, so I am endeavouring to bring Jack's MO into the 21st century (or should that be 20th century for my diesels?:lol:) . I love most of the FS modelling found in certain journals and marvel at people's skills/abilities, yet many layouts/models which look great in mags, seem not to run well at exhibition - just my experience - and railway modelling is, for me, a hobby with movement/qty.....

I hope that clarifies the situation, no offence intended or implied etc.

ATVB

CME :D

Personally I think it is hard to beat MMP stock in terms of detail, but unless you have a fair chunk of spare time available they could take a while build. I am now up to 210 hours with an MMP GUV and am now at the painting stage - the result is truly fantastic but for the average person who has a life to be getting on with 210 hours probably does represent a good years work. The MMP coaches are more expensive than JLTRT but I find the MMP offering that little bit more challenging than the JLTRT equivalent, so MMP gets my vote every time. Easybuild does score very well as the Mk1s a decent for the price and are exactly that - easy to build, but I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to building models and unless I have to do at least some keyhole surgery I'm not happy!

Hi

+ 1 :)

Each to their own

and railway modelling is, for me, a hobby with movement/qty.....

CME,

Exactly! - you have just proved my point - I would not recommend our kits to you for that very reason. Your pursuit is a different hobby to mine in a way. For me its all about detail - like Chuck Doan's buildings! - even if I only end up with one wagon in a siding!

As for it being unfair to quote your post - if I'd have quoted either of the others, they'd have thought it unfair too! Nothing personal, I assure you.

DJP

Well, a place for my GUV has already been cleared on the mantlepiece!

I see what David means about detail levels, I assembled a small parcels set today comprising an Easybuild DPU, a slaters stove B and the MMP GUV, and a selection of fitted vans (SPVs, Vanwides and the like), and yes, in a long train the eye struggles to pick out all the details. But I realistically only want to run 1-3 vehicles together anyway, for me the enjoyment is the time invested in a challenging model and the sense of accomplishment when it is completed rather than trying to get a scale length express passenger set. Each to his own.

I'm still waiting for a release date on the bone wagon though, you know, the one with the TOPS code BRK.

Now the MkI is done I am on another project :rolleyes: A cheap one as well! I built an RJH 56 many years ago and finished it in Loadhaul. Seeing all I do now is good old banger blue I thought it should have re-paint. I striped it with Nitro-Moors and have been busy re-doing the filler :( . Picture of it before and after attached.

I will also be re-painting my green Westdale class 121 into blue and grey I think.

post-6766-0-84390300-1299251816_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-26327000-1299251819_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-58137000-1299251883_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Now the MkI is done I am on another project :rolleyes: A cheap one as well! I built an RJH 56 many years ago and finished it in Loadhaul. Seeing all I do now is good old banger blue I thought it should have re-paint. I striped it with Nitro-Moors and have been busy re-doing the filler :( . Picture of it before and after attached.

I will also be re-painting my green Westdale class 121 into blue and grey I think.

Hi Brian,

Nice idea....

Brave work too with a nice complicated livery already applied :D

I know that some put extra support/bulkheads in the RJH models....do you do the same?

What about the seethru cantrail vents?

Looking forward to seeing this progress......

ATB

CME

It does seem a shame to re-paint the 56 I know but it just looks out of place on the shelf with all the blue loco's I have. Mind you I have a 58 and a 60, these don't fit into the late 70's either :( The plan for the cantrail grills is to glue some black felt behind them. Just never got around to it, thankfully as it would have been more stuff to clean out after paint stripping. I did not put any extra bulkheads into them as I found them ok.

At Kettering today I bought a Steve Beattie class 47 resin cab interior to fit in this. I know it's not quite right but it's better than nowt! Just hope it fits.

I also bought a JLTRT RMB and CK MkI coach kit so the blue grey rake is slowley taking shape.

It does seem a shame to re-paint the 56 I know but it just looks out of place on the shelf with all the blue loco's I have. Mind you I have a 58 and a 60, these don't fit into the late 70's either :( The plan for the cantrail grills is to glue some black felt behind them. Just never got around to it, thankfully as it would have been more stuff to clean out after paint stripping. I did not put any extra bulkheads into them as I found them ok.

At Kettering today I bought a Steve Beattie class 47 resin cab interior to fit in this. I know it's not quite right but it's better than nowt! Just hope it fits.

I also bought a JLTRT RMB and CK MkI coach kit so the blue grey rake is slowley taking shape.

Hi Brian :)

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build with the SB cab interior kit (may need a bit of cutting and shutting then?)....also to the coach builds.

Sounds like a good plan with the 56...may aswell have what you want (I would prefer blue too)......I think that it was Dave Lowery that used to bolster up the sides with thin ply and, like others, fit bulkheads etc.....

ATVB

Hi Richard

Brian

No I hadn't noticed that you had changed the VAC cylinders and even going back to look again it was hard to tell that you had, they do look better though, are they from westdale too ? how much are they. I didn't think the dynamo was too bad.

I too like JLTRT kits, I think they remind me of building airfix kits as a child.

Richard.

Richard

The vac cylinders supplied were riveted cylinders! At Kettering on Saturday Laurie said he has since located the correct cylinder castings in the GUV kits so hopefully they will supply the correct ones now. I used some Easybuild ones. To me the dynamo is too skinney. I have got hold of some more meaty ones at Kettering to put under the next coaches and maybe replace the one on the BSK. I have made a start on the RMB so should have something worth showing soon.

The 56 is now in primer so should get some Railmatch paint on it tomorrow.

Brian

I don't know about having the correct casting in the GUV kits, I have three of those and they are the same as the others all complete with rivets.

It is not a big issue but I just wish they would get it right.

It is a shame to repaint your 56 but I know it doesn't fall intot he right period as Loadhaul

Richard.

Hi Brian

I have been admiring your MK1, and as I've almost finished a BG, I would like to ask you if I may, how you went about painting it? I have never painted a JLTRT kit before, do you need to use a primer? and what paint did you use? I normally use Pheonix, but after hearing good things about railmatch I wanted to try them out, however it seems the blue grey required is only now available in Acrylic, which I've never sprayed before.

J.P.

Hi JP

I only use Railmatch as my local shop, Howes, is also the manufacturer of Railmatch so always has every colour in stock :D . And Enamel is very definatly still made!

After masking off the windows from the inside I sprayed it with Halfords grey primer first. Then did the blue. I then masked the blue as I found it easier to do the masking this way round to get over the door hinges etc then sprayed the grey. The grey covered the blue ok, only a couple of coats required. I did the roof with their roof dirt.

Also what sort of H&S precautions do you take for/when spraying Railmatch paints (as they contain lead)?

Don't eat it... ;)

IMO, you don't have to take any precautions over and above wearing a mask to protect you against the organic vapour and particulates, which you'd need to do when spraying any enamel paints.

Besides, I don't think they all contain lead, just the yellows. It's probably just a standard label.