Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hi Brian,

Very nice model, coming on a treat. Has the motor and gear set been specially designed for this 08 or would it possible to use other types of drive? I've also noticed that lighting the shunter seems problematic especially in the cab end. Are you planning to fit head and tail lights?

Vin

It might be just about done by the end of the week hopefully. I am waiting for the coupling rods so I can't get on with that area at the moment and I also do not have a small enough allen key to secure the cranks. I did not relize they were so small when I bought them on Saturday.

You could fit any motor gearbox combo if you want to remove a bit of the resin chassis. The Slaters one sits nicely in a "cradle" on the rear axle. I am not sure if it was made for this kit specificaly of the kit was made to fit the gearbox.

I took it to work to try and give it a run but it kept falling off the rail :) I also tried to sort out the coupling rods but found they were a bit big!

post-6766-0-62072000-1305043408_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-94918100-1305043410_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Rods a bit loose on the pins eh Brian? :laugh:

I have heard that the slaters gearbox/motor combination were designed specifically for this model......that gearbox certainly looks the part, got to be better than a folded/soldered box.

• RMweb Premium

Are you replicating one you have driven Brian?

I see what you mean about small Allen Key.

Pete

Are they not the standard Slaters axle allen key size?

I want to know how well and or smooth that new slaters gearbox and motor assembly runs, could be a useful combination for other models.

I must wire up the pick-ups to see what it runs like. I have ordered the Allen key from Slaters as it's about half the size of the axle ones.

I was going to do 08946 an ex oxford 08 but it has Western style side lamp brackets rather than the normal ones suplied in the kit. I want to build this as per the kit to photgraph it so JLTRT could use the pictures to enhance their instructions. There are still a couple of small castings that I can't identify :angry:

• RMweb Premium

That's the speedo drive David. Unfortunatly the bit on the rod is not replicated in the kit.

Thanks for the reply Brian; you are never too old to learn; I need to get out more often :rolleyes:

Your JLTRT 08 is coming along nicely.

That's the speedo drive David. Unfortunatly the bit on the rod is not replicated in the kit.

Brassmasters left it off their replacement scale rods in 4mm as well although its on both RTR models.

The models seem to replicate the one on the example you were driving but this one on the example recently painted black at the NRM is slightly different:

post-174-0-13828800-1305233511_thumb.jpg

I have ordered the Allen key from Slaters as it's about half the size of the axle ones.

Hello Brian,

the Allan key size is 0.035" (0.89mm), I get mine from the local hardware shop, cost about 50p.

OzzyO.

Looks good, what is supplied for the vents/mesh on the bodyside?

Also from the pic the front radiator elements look very recessed.

There is an etch still to get hold of for the side grills. I don't think the front louvres will look too bad when it's all painted.

I have now finished all I can until I get the odd parts from JLTRT to finish it off. I have added a nice big lump of lead that I had in a draw to give it a bit of traction, especially as it's only driving on the one axle at the moment. There are cast whitemetal lamps to go in the holes on the ends but these will be glued in after I have put Fox Transfers wasp stripes on.

The rear of the cab will be glued on after I have painted the interior. It will need a little bit of filler round the seam as well.

Not a bad build, took a week to finish it though :pleasantry:

post-6766-0-22706800-1305402019_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-74127700-1305402022_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-15999900-1305402025_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-16993700-1305402029_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-37111900-1305402031_thumb.jpg