Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I have got Pete Harvey to do a rad roof grill replacement for these Heljan 26/33's. Money well spent? We will have to wait and see. I know what you mean about the pointy shape, might be able to tease an etched one into that shape?

Just thought that if you like the Heljan rad grill it is available as a spare for your Limas.

I have got Pete Harvey to do a rad roof grill replacement for these Heljan 26/33's. Money well spent? We will have to wait and see. I know what you mean about the pointy shape, might be able to tease an etched one into that shape?

Just thought that if you like the Heljan rad grill it is available as a spare for your Limas.

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the kind thoughts.:)

Can I wait and see how you get on as I have already endeavoured to tweek an etched one in the past and wasnt happy with it, so got hold of a couple of Heljan ones as the shape seemed better to me/more improtant than the finer mesh?:blink::laugh:

The fans are wrong on the Heljans - arnt they? Not enough blades?? I have yet to look at such in detail yet will and may use MMP ones????

I have been intouch with PH and will buy some parts from him in a week or two....thanks for the tip off I am much obliged.

BTW I have some more etched parts for my 37 now too...:yahoo:

ATVB

CME :)

Hi Brian

My first post on RMweb though I've followed it for a while. Just admiring your Heljan 26, I acquired one a few days ago and must say that I'm impressed with it. It's clear that quite a bit of thought has gone into it, the body fixing screws are much more accessible than on other Heljan locos and I like the way that the lights have been arranged so that it uses light guides rather than loads of LEDs so there aren't wires trailing everywhere. Just one plug (the fan motor lead) to relase from the PCB and you have the body separate. I think I will fill in the tablet catcher recesses and try to match the paintwork. I'm impressed by the availability of later pattern cab doors but can't see them listed on Howes website, is it just a case of a phone call or email to them ? Have you worked out what the blue painted plastic parts-four of them-are that come in the bits bag ? Two are identical and two are not. I think the identical ones are horn grille covers, the others perhaps for plating over what I think are the boiler exhaust ports. What do you reckon ?

If I can crack the technology I'll post an overhead photo of 26024 at the Kyle in 1981.

Cheers

Jeff

post-12187-0-06580700-1306761681_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff welcome to the forum.

. Glad you like your Heljan 26. I would give Howes a ring about the cab doors as I don't know what they have on their website regarding the 26 spares but I have had a rumage through them in the shop. It is a shame that Heljan have to make only one body style for their O Gauge models so there will always be a bit of a compromise somewhere for either the green models or the blue ones as BR did a good job on changing details on their locos over the years. I would have prefered them to have done the yellow round the cab side windows but they never as it is easier for us to paint the yellow on than someone who wants the earlier style yellow ends (as the model is) would find it difficult to paint out the yellow on the side windows without a complete blue re-paint. Those blue spares are indeed the horn grill covers and the boiler compartment roof covers for use if you want to "re-furbish" your model and make it an air braked loco with the boiler isolated. One thing to bare in mind, go easy with those body fixing screws as they are easy to strip the threads in there. Once I take them out for a bit of re-building I do not put them back in until it's finished!

Nice picture of 26024. You can do this loco with the supplied cab doors and TOP's numbers but unfortunatly it has the token recess filled in :(

Now you are here Jeff do tell what other 7mm stuff have you?

Brian

I already have a model of 26024, from a PRMRP kit built in the days when never in my wildest dreams could I have foreseen a Ready to Run 7mm scale Class 26. It's not bad but it's not brilliant either, photo attached. Apart from that I have a very large and mixed bag, all BR period, ranging from a King to a 15xx Pannier tank, a Duchess to a Super D, nearly all of the standard classes, a pair of Heljan 20s, Heljan 37 and 47s and the aforementioned 26. And no layout !

I'm about to begin building a 13' x 2' diesel depot layout with a 1980-85 Scottish theme. The steam run mainly on the Preston O Gauge group's layout and on those of friends.

Hope you don't mind me asking, I like the 06 you built, one is on my list for early acquisition. What wheels did you use on yours ? The photo of 06 008, which will be my chosen loco, looks to have 11 spokes but I can't find anything suitable listed by Slaters.

Cheers

Jeff

Spares for 26 are now listed on Howes' website, including later pattern doors though I'm not convinced they are totally correct as they have horizontal beading on them; most of my photographs look like the doors are very plain with just handles and nothing else on them. I have filled in the tablet catcher recesses on mine and made new doors out of 40 thou plastikard with a bit of Slaters microstrip to represent the backing plates for the handles. A total repaint is under way, I'll post a photo when the job is finished. All in all, a lovely, well thought out model.

Jeff

Hi Jeff glad you are getting on with your 26. Look forward to seeing one with the token recess filled in. I may do one like that in the future but as you say it will require a full re-paint. Mine has stalled for a while whilst i wait for Pete Harvey's etched rad grill.

In the mean time though I have built this Westdale driving trailer to go with my re-painted blue 121. I still have the underframe to sort out. Had a nice time drilling holes on the body, about 150 of them :O Westdale has done a set of etched window frames for these and the 121 so I had to paint a set in blue to glue onto the already painted 121 so it matched this trailer. As you can see I have opted to use some press studs for the bogie fastening. I had used these before to good effect. I have used a set of Markits Oleo buffers that are nice but I think a bit too long.

By the way Jeff the wheels on my 06 are Slaters.

post-6766-0-66599000-1307479910_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-96164500-1307479913_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-27743200-1307479917_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-91902300-1307479919_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-99509300-1307479922_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-64760200-1307479925_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have used a set of Markits Oleo buffers that are nice but I think a bit too long.

Brian,

These look very similar to an unbranded set I picked up at a show supposedly for a class 47. Nice but the shanks are huge compared to the JLTRT equivalent!

Earlier musings in this thread about class 33/1 buffers being larger that the 33/0 (which I agree looks the case). I noticed last weekend the GCR's class 47 "Sparrowhawk" (grrr :angry:) stabled in between a 25 and a 37. All three had identically sized buffer heads. Made me wonder were there really loads of different buffer heads or just a few standard types?

Having said that the retracting type were probably unique so not sure this is relevant anyway?!

Hi Jeff glad you are getting on with your 26. Look forward to seeing one with the token recess filled in. I may do one like that in the future but as you say it will require a full re-paint. Mine has stalled for a while whilst i wait for Pete Harvey's etched rad grill.

In the mean time though I have built this Westdale driving trailer to go with my re-painted blue 121. I still have the underframe to sort out. Had a nice time drilling holes on the body, about 150 of them :O Westdale has done a set of etched window frames for these and the 121 so I had to paint a set in blue to glue onto the already painted 121 so it matched this trailer. As you can see I have opted to use some press studs for the bogie fastening. I had used these before to good effect. I have used a set of Markits Oleo buffers that are nice but I think a bit too long.

By the way Jeff the wheels on my 06 are Slaters.

Hi Brian :D

Nice - speedy - work as always, lovely looking, yet glad that I chose the Easy-Build as all the holes are pre-drilled :yahoo: yet there is a fair bit of sanding to be done to the sides.

I like the stud and button idea, I have seen that used in 4mm, I am experimenting with using chrome male and female magents.....they seem to work well, yet time will tell :laugh:

Are you going to use a directional lighting unit?

ATVB,

I keep looking at those buffers and have come to the conclusion that they will have to go. I had a job to couple it up to the 121 power car as they are so long. I should put a function only decoder in it as the 121 has a sound chip in it and, hopefully when I sort out the functions on the chip, some working interior lights. Must admit I have not done anything to it since I took these pictures as I have been busy uploading pictures onto my Flickr site.

I am sure there were two sizes of Oleo's. Large for 47, 56 and 37 and a smaller one for everything else.

I must admit I have not had a really close look at an Easybuil DMU.

Must admit I have not done anything to it since I took these pictures as I have been busy uploading pictures onto my Flickr site.

Glad to see you have joined the 'dark' side :), your site has been and always will be an excellent source of reference material, really pleased to see you went pro and kept the large images and allow people to download, I hope no one abuses your trust. To be fair, disabling download is pointless, all anyone has to do is actually view the image full size and then go to their internet temporary file folder and the image is stored there on your computer, simply drag and drop and save as you wish. People are either unaware of this loop hole in preventing people from downloading images or they're just spiteful, the internet is for sharing and I'm pleased you share your images freely as do I. I do hope some day to upload my detail shots, no where near as many as you and none are heritage stock, all modern as and when I get close enough to it, locos or stock.

Best

Michael

I keep looking at those buffers and have come to the conclusion that they will have to go. I had a job to couple it up to the 121 power car as they are so long. I should put a function only decoder in it as the 121 has a sound chip in it and, hopefully when I sort out the functions on the chip, some working interior lights. Must admit I have not done anything to it since I took these pictures as I have been busy uploading pictures onto my Flickr site.

I am sure there were two sizes of Oleo's. Large for 47, 56 and 37 and a smaller one for everything else.

I must admit I have not had a really close look at an Easybuil DMU.

Hi Brian,

I am pretty pleased with the Easy Build 121/122 yet as we previoulsy chatted about the the Headcode box is wrong/in wrong poistion etc. and will need some reworking for the 121.

I have yet to look further into all detail aspects of the kit though - time will tell.

Thanks for posting more photos for inspirations and reference in equal measure :yahoo:

ATVB

I have not done much modelling recently as I am still putting pictures onto my new Flickr site, up to 12,500 on it so far!

I have bought an MMP 08 detailing pack for my JLTRT 08 even though the pack is sold for the Bachmann shunter. There is quite a bit in it for your money :yahoo:

So far I have used a speedo drive unit, air cylinders under cab, catches for the compresser box, cab interior cooker and heater underneath it, heater control and pipe on the front consul and a electrical box on the cab rear. There is a lot more cab interior etches but I think this willl do for a JLTRT model.

I have also made up the hot water pipe and insulation under the left hand side of the footplate. I still have a couple of pipes to make under the other side of the footplate. Made a set of balance weights for the wheels from plasticard as well. I put a couple of 14BA nuts on the coupling pivot to represent the hinged joint.

I am still waiting for a rear sandbox from JLTRT :cry: There is a set in the detailing pack but I will wait for the JLTRT one as they are slightly different.

I have got a set of transfers from Precision Labels for all the little lettering that is on an 08 ready for when it's painted.

post-6766-0-19574600-1308499041_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-69445900-1308499043_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-26595500-1308499047_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-14224700-1308499050_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-45619000-1308499053_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-77507400-1308499056_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-70491600-1308499059_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-39487200-1308499079_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-19271600-1308499844_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-35584700-1308499847_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

well i've just clicked through this whole thread and i think you should certainly be banned!! those locos and rolling stock are amazing!! i've not really seen much O scale stuff befor but they are very tempting, the detailing is really good. this rtisks to get expencive, haha!

no really keep posting pics, they are amazing, i'm looking forward to seeing the shunter finished.

Hi Brian,

The 350 is looking great, love the cab detail, complete with rattling stove, it brings back memories of sitting in the cab while shunting about Eastleigh yard. I should have been on the front step but the cab was normally warmer.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Brian,

I agree with MMP you do seem to get a lot for your money/VFM and it is nice when a super-detail kit for one model (of the same type) fits a.n.other manufacturer's :yes:

Your 08 is reallly going to look at treat with all of that extra detail......what livery can we expect?

ATVB

Edited by Mod5
To remove unnecesary quote

I am afraid the 08 is going to be good old banger blue as 08946 an old Oxford one. I have just got in the post today some CPL lostwax crankpin nut castings so will do those this afternoon along with drilling and putting a piece of wire to represent the cork in the rods. I have made a set of GW style lampbrackets for it as well now. Will phot it later.

I am afraid the 08 is going to be good old banger blue as 08946 an old Oxford one. I have just got in the post today some CPL lostwax crankpin nut castings so will do those this afternoon along with drilling and putting a piece of wire to represent the cork in the rods. I have made a set of GW style lampbrackets for it as well now. Will phot it later.

Hi Brian,

That's a neat idea I was wondering - when I get aroundtuit - how to model such (with a couple of kettles and my 08).........:yes:

ATB

Well here are the next few jobs done. I used .5mm wire for my corks but I would have liked them a bit thicker but the centre boss in in 2 parts for the centre axle to go up and down a bit and that leaves you next to nothing to frill into even at .5mm. I have made a rad water level sight glass for the front top corner. The GW style lampbrackets are a bit thin but trying to bend a wider piece of brass was going to trouble, for me anyway. I have decided to use the MMP sandboxes instead of waiting for JLTRT to send me a rear one. The MMP ones stand proud of the running plate a bit more but so do the real ones, a couple of pictures of one to show this. The cab desk has been painted and shows the MMP blue heater pipe that now stands proud unlike the moulded on one. I have glued the back of the cab in now and filled it so should be ready for the paint shop soon.

Took some pictures of the Precision Labels 08 lettering to show how much ther is! The black lettering is just to help you see what the white says.

Forgot to say that in the MMP detail pack there are 3 sets of Derby Works and one set of Horwich Works builders plates. Very nice they are too, shame there wasn't any Darlington ones as this is where 08946 was built.

post-6766-0-25074200-1308739728_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-21767000-1308739731_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-86759900-1308739734_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-44354000-1308739738_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-18644400-1308739741_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-57619700-1308739744_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-34629100-1308739747_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-19224300-1308739750_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-20558400-1308739767_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-43506400-1308740339_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-96334400-1308740343_thumb.jpg

I hope you don't mind me asking but is there anything wrong with your camera as there seams to be a lot of vertical lines in the pictures that show the Battery boxes.

It's because the masters are 3D prints, most JLTRT kits show evidence of it somewhere, if you look close enough.

• RMweb Premium

It's because the masters are 3D prints, most JLTRT kits show evidence of it somewhere, if you look close enough.

I cannot believe they use such a low resolution printer, we have a few at work which produce totally smooth surfaces....I too hope the paint disguises that for you Brian.