Building a kit of Talylln Railway No.2 Dolgoch

I may have accidently kickstarted a liking for OO9...

It all started when i brought a whitemetal kit of No.2 Dolgoch at a show. I rather like OO9 because you can get sorts of locos and rolling stock plus it is small and to scale with OO (1:76). I started on it last week by painting the whole thing black and then assembled part of it. The real Dolgoch is red/maroon and lined. So i will have to repaint most of the loco to the appropiate colour

• Like 2

On 08/07/2019 at 09:17, John_Hughes said:

It may be red now, but 'back in the day' it was green, as was No. 1 Talyllyn also.

As far as living memory goes back they were both green, they were repainted Indian red in 2015 for the 150th anniversary on the theory of being painted thus when new 

Would it have been a better idea to assemble it prior to painting? I built one of these some time ago, and it still gets regular use despite me having added the Bachmann Thomas range Rheneas to my fleet 

IMAG2318.jpg.0eb17e2c6dccaedf70a5e2d90d2e9792.jpg

Have you got a chassis for your loco? As that is certainly something to sort before getting too far with a build.

009 is definitely a fun and interesting scale to model in, and there's a vast amount of knowledge and information out there to be tapped!

Looking forward to seeing this build as it progresses

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

I built a Dolgoch kit back in the early 1970's. It used the Arnold 0-6-0 chassis with the centre axle removed. It was the best runner of my fleet, much better than the Eggerbahn and Jouef of the period. I also had a white metal kit of Douglas. With the motor and cab overhanging the rear, and very little room in the smokebox for lead, it was prone to doing 'wheelies'.

6 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I built a Dolgoch kit back in the early 1970's. It used the Arnold 0-6-0 chassis with the centre axle removed. It was the best runner of my fleet, much better than the Eggerbahn and Jouef of the period.

Yes, that's the chassis I used originally, with a bit of a service it ran very nicely, though the large flanges on the wheels made it wobble a bit through point frogs. If caught at the wrong speed, it could easily tip over!

Mine now runs on an N-Drive chassis which is a vast improvement, with better sized wheels and prototypical valve gear.

2019-07-11_07-51-39.jpg.4e04fe03db67e0be1e5f6551eb6f4afa.jpg

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Edited to add photo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2019 at 19:50, JaymzHatstand said:

Yes, that's the chassis I used originally, with a bit of a service it ran very nicely, though the large flanges on the wheels made it wobble a bit through point frogs. If caught at the wrong speed, it could easily tip over!

Mine now runs on an N-Drive chassis which is a vast improvement, with better sized wheels and prototypical valve gear.

2019-07-11_07-51-39.jpg.4e04fe03db67e0be1e5f6551eb6f4afa.jpg

Cheers

J

Your Dolgoch looks fantastic. I never knew she wore green for a while

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...