800mm Track Plan Needed

Here's something completely different...  Completely self contained (you didn't mention era or anything).  Two storage tracks for a goods and passenger train if you wish.  Possibly a Pannier/Autocoach combo.  The headshunt will take an 0-4-0 and 2 wagons.  Goods trains have to push out as there's no runaround...  but the switching is facing point anyway.  There could either be a couple of small industries and a goods shed/track or a slightly larger industry requiring 2 tracks.  Is there space beyond the 800mm for a fiddle yard/stick or is 800mm the max length?

800mmX290-1.png

• Like 6

Have you seen Brew St, great layout, not sure what the exact dimensions are but it's pretty small! 

14610873_1279585368758879_1017377187834129786_n.jpg.5935f258d441742a75adb928b644b764.jpg

I think it was built on a baseboard kit, not sure which one though.

Hope that gives you an idea.

1 hour ago, DanMacK77 said:

Here's something completely different...  Completely self contained (you didn't mention era or anything).  Two storage tracks for a goods and passenger train if you wish.  Possibly a Pannier/Autocoach combo.  The headshunt will take an 0-4-0 and 2 wagons.  Goods trains have to push out as there's no runaround...  but the switching is facing point anyway.  There could either be a couple of small industries and a goods shed/track or a slightly larger industry requiring 2 tracks.  Is there space beyond the 800mm for a fiddle yard/stick or is 800mm the max length?

800mmX290-1.png

That's a nice plan DanMack77 :)

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have you looked at the link Mattawa posted, it said in the text about extending it the original size was 2ft x 1ft, looking through that website is very inspirational!

Steve.

On 07/07/2019 at 17:38, Joseph_Pestell said:

Is it just the baseboard that is limited to 800mm - or the space that the baseboard will fit into?

If just the baseboard, you could have a "fiddlestick" by way of a headshunt to broaden the options.

Just want to re-iterate Joseph's point here - because it is an important question
You say the baseboard will be 800mm long, but I think Joseph is suggesting that you could build a layout which is on one 800mm baseboard,
but have an additional fiddle yard / fiddle-stick, as an "add-on" or "plug-in" section.... I'm sure Chris Nevard's "Brew St." which sb67 refers to, has a fiddle-stick type extension?

This can be a really neat idea, for those who are really space-starved, as it can add huge operating potential.
You can build the main / scenic section of the layout on your single 800mm board, with all your off-stage movements and train re-arranging on the additional add-on fiddle stick
Of course, if 800mm is all you have available because you simply can't add any more boards - then this isn't an option for you
But you do mention modular baseboards, so I was wondering whether you were thinking of adding further baseboards at a later date?

Of course, a modular system is another approach to minimum space design. My problem was always getting two designs that worked well as standalone designs, but also worked well, and looked convincing as a pair, especially if each layout had only one entry / exit point. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, noctilux2 said:

The image of Brew Street is a great inspiration.  Anyone have an idea of the actual size, perhaps from the magazine article ?

I had not seen Brew St before. Very interesting. But it clearly needs at least two fiddlesticks as loco + wagon would not fit beyond the turnouts.

13 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I had not seen Brew St before. Very interesting. But it clearly needs at least two fiddlesticks as loco + wagon would not fit beyond the turnouts.

i've not seen an article about Brew St. Perhaps Chris mentions the dimensions on his site? You could always email him to ask. Perhaps an email? He's a very personable chap 
You may find that the fiddle at the right hand end of the layout is just a small plug-in "cassette" - perhaps with just enough space for a wagon or two?
Actually, that's another strength of this sort of design - where space is really tight, such as at home on the dining room table, you can use shorter cassettes.
But if you're ever exhibiting the layout, you can use alternative, longer cassettes - allowing you much more flexibility

I used this technique with my layout in a Crate "Bracty Bridge". The scenic area of the layout is in a storage box / crate (around just 16" by 12" if my memory serves me)
I could use it with just one small cassette at one end, or use it with two short, or one short and one longer cassette, depending on how much space I had
The result was, that in Short Cassette mode, the layout could be just over 2 feet long. But with two cassettes, the layout became around 5 feet long.
There's an old thread here on RMweb somewhere.....

Edited by marc smith

Here you go. I think the links to the full-size pics are no longer working, but you can get the idea from the smaller photos
EDIT: Do a search on here for "Bracty Bridge" or "Roath Minor" - you'll see some photos of the layout

The aerial view shows the tiny nature of the layout, with a class 37 in view. I used photographic view-blockers, to hide the fiddle areas
At the right hand end, I usually employed a short cassette - but could run the layout without a fiddle at that end - so I had a plug-in mirror

The mirror on the right end of the layout helps disguise the tiny nature of the scene....
800mm? Sheesh! That's LOADS of space - I could get two layouts in there! ;)

gallery_2973_157_105815.jpg

gallery_2973_157_222863.jpg

gallery_2973_157_114686.jpg

gallery_2973_157_91632.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Good to see pics of Bracty Bridge again, grate little layout, I love the use of the Metcalfe buildings :)

Found this pic of Brew St, it shows the 'fiddle sticks' and gives a better idea of the size. All this micro layout talk is giving me ideas now!

15193438_1312317902152292_5383167692821764742_n.jpg.d81053c100f0e4da8f19494df7dc87db.jpg

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Brew Street is great, I've got various scenic ideas based on that track plan. Chris has now extended it with a module on the right hand end, with fiddle yards at each end. I saw the enlarged version at the recent Warminster Show. Very, very inspirational, although part of me preferred the original small version, because it is so clever.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for their input. Found an inexpensive baseboard module on eBay which will do the job nicely;  search seller “scalemodelscenery”.  This is considerably less expensive than the Tim Horn version used by Mr Nevard.