Trix Twin GWR 0-6-0T ?????

Wolseley

I was just having a browse on eBay and came across a listing for two Trix Twin locomotives and a carriage and some wagons of unstated make.  The tender locomotive is obviously a Trix Twin one, but the other locomotive appears to be something else.  It purports to be a GWR 0-6-0T (and as far as I am aware, Trix never produced anything GWR) but doesn't look very GWR - it looks more like an LMS Jinty with a GWR safety valve cover.

I have no intention of bidding for it, but I am curious.  Does anyone know what it is?

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trix-Twin-TTR-British-GWR-121-and-6200-LMS-Locomotives-and-Cars-similar-Hornby/293144705130?hash=item4440c9386a:g:z9IAAOSwss1dIfXr

• RMweb Gold

I agree that it is a Stewart Reidpath (Essar) loco.

It bears a pasing resemblence to some of the locos the GWR had from the railways in South Wales after the GWR reboilered them following the 1923 grouping

I think Essar locos were nominally HO scale.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Maybe not in the same timeframe, but didn't Trix produce a [56XX?] 0-6-2T ?

I am fairly sure we had one that ran on our Hornby Dublo three-rail layout, back in the 1950s.

15 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I agree that it is a Stewart Reidpath (Essar) loco.

It bears a pasing resemblence to some of the locos the GWR had from the railways in South Wales after the GWR reboilered them following the 1923 grouping

I think Essar locos were nominally HO scale.

Yes. The Rhymney Railway 0-6-0T.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/GWR-and-BRW/GWR-other-tank-engines/i-6tLmTs4/A

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Maybe not in the same timeframe, but didn't Trix produce a [56XX?] 0-6-2T ?

Not in the AC period, but once they switched to DC they produced 3 'scale' locomotives - two BR standards, Britannia and Class V (so described by Trix, Class 5 otherwise) and a 56xx (6664). For some strange reason they made them to 1/80 scale. Initially for the Twin system, but later also in 2 rail. A shunters truck was available for the 56xx, but its plastic body was made from acetate so survivors are usually (always?) warped. Nothing GWR was produced during the AC, but an early publicity picture does show a wagon marked 'GWR'. This was never produced - rumour has it the Great  Western objected, but why this should be I can't see as there were plenty of other models of dubious (zero) authenticity around.

The Essar tank is noticeably smaller than the Trix Loco (also allegedly H0 but to the German loading gauge). The latter is rather chunky for an 0-4-0 in any case (she had to be to get all the bulky mechanism inside).

Edited by Il Grifone

5 hours ago, Keith George said:

Yes,  I have one in my collection and it still runs well.

Keith.

Me too.  I have a green one (they were also available in black).  I should have qualified my earlier statement to say that I was referring to Trix TTR AC locomotives.  I also have a Trix Britannia, but that's another story......

Like Dublo and Tri-ang (at least the metal parts), they were built to last and have done so. That is excluding the unfortunate early examples which have succumbed to the dreaded zinc pest. Trix driving wheels and armaure supports are particularly susceptible. Failure of the latter loses the brush assembly and allows the armature to fall out. I would think we have lost quite a few to the bin for this.  :(

The Essar casting is lead (we knew it was toxic*, but no-one cared like asbestos) so this problem does not arise. Lack of availability and relatively high price ensures its rarity.

Our parents survived their toy soldiers. farm and zoo animals etc, (I even had some myself - the switch to plastic didn't happen until the mid-fifties - I had the complete set of the Timpo dinosaurs and some  Britain's Swoppet cowboys - all lost unfortunately seeing their current prices (£25 is being asked on eBay for a dinosaur that cost 1/3d!).

Stop waffling David and shut up!

• 3 weeks later...

Trix produced the GWR 0-6-2T in metal, I used to own one in the late 1960s. The other scale locos they done were the Southern E1 (was it?) and the E3001, a superb model apart from having the bogie wheelbase a bit too long.

I've not seen the 0-6-2T in plastic.