Genesis SD60E Decoder problem

stock_2007

I have a new Athearn Genesis SD60E which I'm trying to fit with a decoder this is my second SD60E the first one is awaiting a wiring repair! Anyway the new unit works fine on DC with all the lights working (LEDS) but on fitting the decoder only one ditch light out of four would work, all the other lights worked ok. I've tried two 21 pin decoders a Gaugemaster OMNI and I think the other one was by Dapol but both are the same, in the loco manual it says 'install decoder of your choice' would anyone have any ideas what the problem could be. I've put it back to DC and all the lights work fine.

The loco its self ran great on both DC & DCC

Billy

Edited by stock_2007

I almost got to the end of the article I'll finish it latter when my head stops hurting, I'll also look through the traders sites see if anything is recommend sadly the Athearn paper work is not a lot of help. As my layout run's DCC its something I'll need to figure out, by the looks of it the new Genesis and the Athearn RTR locos fitted with LEDs all need a 21 pin chip even their reworked RTR SD40-2 is fitted with LED lights:crazy_mini:

Zimo decoders have a CV setting to change between the two 21-pin standards, so you could use those and flip the CV setting.  (CV8 is used to flip the version in the MX634D or MX634C 21pin decoders).  

Or, work out from the Gaugemaster documentation which version their decoder might be ?  Then go from there. 

I only have one loco with a 21pin socket, so not a lot to test against. 

I e-mailed ATHEARN'S help line and their reply was very quick, they say to activate all of the light functions I should be looking for a decoder with at 'least' 8 functions and that a decoder with 6 functions would be unable to access the full accessory lighting features... shame its not in the manual.

Edited by stock_2007