Crewe Corner

CullingworthGNR

post-855-12729278331.png

This is my new depot layout, a tucked away corner of Crewe Works. Hopefully I'll be able to use this platform to photo my AC electrics as they appear fresh from the works, or visiting home for examinations. With a bit of luck I'll be able to exhibit it as well, if anyone wants to see it! I'll be posting updates and photos on here as they happen, but for now I'll let the photos tell the story...

post-855-127290589116_thumb.jpg

Prior to any ballasting, with no buildings

post-855-127290610708_thumb.jpg

Photo test prior to ballasting

post-855-127290619384_thumb.jpg

Close up test of old Hornby mk3

Tom,

Looks good. I sometimes wish I had started with a small layout that I could finish in a reasonable amount of time and still practice all the new techniques.

I look forward to seeing how you approach the overhead wires.

Good luck and keep us all posted

Jeff

Thanks for your encouragement!

I don't think I'll be putting wires up unfortunately - I'll probably use a diesel shunter instead, as I don't think Crewe Works were electrified? Could be wrong though.

Crewe has an Electric works as well as diesel works.

Colin

Crewe has an Electric works as well as diesel works.

No, Crewe has a Diesel depot (now closed) and a Electric Depot. Heavy repairs etc would have been done at Crewe Works.

Crewe Works you are correct didnt have 25kv supplies.

However there was/is still a 25kv test pen situated outside the front of 10 shop (errecting shop). It could only be accessed from the Traverse. It is long enough to accomodate 2 electric locomotives and served the purpose of load banking the locomotives before they left the works complex.

Staple motive power around the works at that time were the 08s some privately owned by BREL/Adtranz/Bombardier (and the many other companies who have owned the works.)

Could be an interesting diorama in its own right, pLenty of small brick buildings containing the test equipment as well as a larger one for the substation. Its surrounded by a high security fence and gated. Plenty of warning signs and of course has a length of OLE. These days i believe its used to store whats left of the works internal user wagon fleet.

I may possibly be able to persuade my contact who works in the works to get some photos of it. PM me if interested

Crewe has always been a major railway location

Crewe DMD(stabling and maintenance)closed and used for storage of withdrawn locos by DBS

Crewe IED(still in use servicing electric locos like 90s and 92s)

Crewe Works(shadow of its former self and now what is left has mundane work like wheelset and traction motor work).The last loco which was repaired there was a Virgin 87 involved in a smash with a pacer-that was 2001ish?

Keep us posted on this compact layout B)

Regards

Lewis

Crewe has always been a major railway location

Crewe DMD(stabling and maintenance)closed and used for storage of withdrawn locos by DBS

Crewe IED(still in use servicing electric locos like 90s and 92s)

Crewe Works(shadow of its former self and now what is left has mundane work like wheelset and traction motor work).The last loco which was repaired there was a Virgin 87 involved in a smash with a pacer-that was 2001ish?

Keep us posted on this compact layout B)

Regards

Lewis

Actually I beg to differ on that.

08934 (former works shunter now owned by HNRC) was given a full top end overhaul in 2003 and technically the last "locomotive" to have attention at the works was ironically the CO-BO at the works open weekend in 2005. It underwent a bogie lift and had some attention.

Ah yes, I remember the 2005 open day... was a good day out :)

Today, Crewe IEMD is used by DBS mainly for their electric traction but you will often find classes 66,67 and 37419 has spent a bit of time their recently undergoing work.

DMD is to be knocked down from what i have heard and a RMT depot being built in it's place, although this was just rumours so could be wrong! Sadly the whole area is a shadow of it's former self but does see regular use and brings up some unusual moves even today :)

Keep up the great work on the board! It sure is looking good so far

Danny

If DBS was demolishing Crewe DMD then they would have a massive task moving the dozens of 56s stored there,also there is some antique parcels vans lurking around in the depot sidings(possibly LMS heritage?)I thought DBS was using it as a secure storage location as they moved all the ferrybridge grids there last year.

We will have to wait and see.

Regards

Lewis

If you haven't already noticed DBS are selling off the 56s in 'large' batches and now the 58s are starting to hit the fan the last 'proper' unit to be worked on at Crewe works was a meridian 222 unit for EMT which suffered cab damage they still did mainline work until late 2006 and now it's just bogies which I'm told is on the increase.The class 60s at Crewe DMD are only there while there is no demand for them they have been stored serviceable so only minor faults all the dead 60 go to toton old yard.To confirm there is no heritage mail stock there it is all ex GUVs which from what I can see are being 'renovated' for use with Network rail.There is also a lot of coaching stock there as it is the hub of riviera train that's why all the 47s seem to appear there on a regular bases and steam locos when the Heritage center is full.

hope this helps

A lot of the Crewe ones are ex France examples-e.g for possible further use-the ones they are selling are the healy mills demics which have no further potential,anyway a bit of topic...

Any updates on the layout? :)

I remember seeing on a fotopic gallery some old br blue vehicles which had 'property of EWS' wrote on them,they must have been scrapped.

Yes the layout is a great idea having many friends who are workers or ex workers at the works you can have a lot of scope due to the huge amount of locos visiting the works over the years.

Wondering off topic,DBS are only destined to get rid of the 56s and other ex-br locos much to the shame of enthusiasts they are costing to much money for DBS to run and the way the french seem to treat out 37s the next place for the 56 is the scrap man the copper fairies have been on the ones at Crewe it is far from secure you can just walk in 'secure location' is just one of there terms they give out to cover there back sides in case something happens and the DMD was closed due to the structure being un-safe and could just fall down due to the steel rusting away and it being 'so old' so please don't patronizer me I know more than some people think :unsure:

Anyway good luck with the layout I will follow with great interest

• 1 month later...

Archived