Railway room decoration

Suddenly, I have my own modelling room - well apart from a double bed for guests :dontknow:

The walls need painting, I'm looking for ideas. I'm thinking of white (which might be a bit stark) or magnolia (which is inoffensive)

Anything else I might consider?

Richard

Not 'Thomas' wallpaper 

Just now, Ian Simpson said:

Pale blue, so it can double up as a summer sky backscene?

That sounds a bit 'cold'.

I did wonder about painting a band of 'sky' around the walls. Something fading from blue to grey with some soft cloud-like patterns

Richard

• Like 1

I felt the stereotypical sky blue was too blue, so my walls & ceiling are blue-ish grey colour.

I also replaced the standard bedroom light with a double fluorescent & changed the tubes for daylight ones. Every other room seems dim & shadowy by comparison.

• Like 2

I painted my railway room walls and ceiling white matt which reflects a nice soft even light over the layout.

Particularly good since I purchased a dimmable and variable colour temperature LED batten with remote control - I can adjust lighting levels to mimic different seasons/times of the day.

• RMweb Gold

For pale blue perhaps read "soft pastel azure"?

Seriously, you're right to consider the warmth of the colour scheme in a guest room. But blue doesn't have to be cold.

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I felt the stereotypical sky blue was too blue, so my walls & ceiling are blue-ish grey colour.

I also replaced the standard bedroom light with a double fluorescent & changed the tubes for daylight ones. Every other room seems dim & shadowy by comparison.

Now, a blue-ish grey could work well. It could be a good compromise

3 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

I painted my railway room walls and ceiling white matt which reflects a nice soft even light over the layout.

Particularly good since I purchased a dimmable and variable colour temperature LED batten with remote control - I can adjust lighting levels to mimic different seasons/times of the day.

I think I'd keep that level of lighting sophistication for localised areas of the railway. This room needs to work for modelling and occasional guests as well. Some interesting thoughts there

2 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

For pale blue perhaps read "soft pastel azure"?

Seriously, you're right to consider the warmth of the colour scheme in a guest room.

Yes, this multiple purpose aspect is the challenge

Good food for thought here

Richard

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

Pale blue, so it can double up as a summer sky backscene?

40 minutes ago, RLWP said:

That sounds a bit 'cold'.

I did wonder about painting a band of 'sky' around the walls. Something fading from blue to grey with some soft cloud-like patterns

Richard

There are blues and there are blues, it doesn't have to be a cold colour, this is my outdoor playroom with blue on the walls.

46043522_yk043.jpg.fc939dea2eaa82cffd27585eaa43328f.jpg

It's Wilko's 'Cloudless' matt, let down with a healthy dollop of white as it was a bit too strong as it came. Avoid green blues or grey blues if you want to avoid the room looking cold. The ones to look for are warm summer blues and if you want the walls to double as a backscene then choose a paler shade than you think you want as it will help the sky to recede into the distance, but remember that the base shade needs to be a warm blue.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KalKat said:

Do not use Magnolia - for any room/reason! It contains green and is the Devil's own p**e!

Emma

Right - no magnolia. I wasn't keen in the first place

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Suddenly, I have my own modelling room - well apart from a double bed for guests :dontknow:

Will this room also be your workshop? If so you might not want to go too warm on the colour scheme and lighting or your model painting colours might be a bit off if that matters to you. 

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

https://www.diy.com/departments/colours-standard-light-rain-matt-emulsion-paint-2-5l/183424_BQ.prd

I wonder if they have 'light drizzle' or 'heavy downpour'? I could do very atmospheric slate quarries

Richard

They do a Mizzle paint. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/farrow-ball-mizzle-no-266-matt-estate-emulsion-paint-2-5l/1635410_BQ.prd

and grey slate wallpaper... 

https://www.diy.com/departments/fine-d-cor-grey-slate-wallpaper/1212906_BQ.prd

although most likely not to scale :)

9 minutes ago, sharris said:

Will this room also be your workshop? If so you might not want to go too warm on the colour scheme and lighting or your model painting colours might be a bit off if that matters to you. 

I have lights on my workbench, so rolling stock and buildings should be OK. I guess that scenery is another matter

Richard

4 minutes ago, sharris said:

There will be NO Farrow and Ball!!! I can use the money I save on something useful, like rolling stock :D

Richard

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

There will be NO Farrow and Ball!!! I can use the money I save on something useful, like rolling stock :D

Richard

B & Q will mix up Farrow & Ball colours in there own name paint at B & Q prices. You take in a colour swatch and their machine reads the colour and matches and mixes it with their own paint. Only just found this out, daughter used F & B needed more and couldn't get any, used B &Q's system and you can't tell the difference. 

Use any ones match pots to make up a colour you like, paint a swatch and take it to B & Q and have it copied perhaps.

Phil T.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've used a very pale sky grey (not blue) in the study/visitors' room/model-making room, attempting to get a shade that looks much like a bright, but clouded sky. The idea was to make the walls of what isn't a very big room "disappear".

It works very well, and it isn't "cold", a bright bedcover when the bed is in use lifts it anyway, and bright-coloured blinds/curtains can be used similarly (having been my small daughter's room previously, ours currently has some rather stylish multi-coloured elephants on the blinds, but that may not be to all tastes!).

After a lot of searching, I managed to find a light fitting with built-in LEDs, which comes on at about ten-zillion lux, daylight balanced, with one click of the light-switch (good for reading, paperwork, model-making), but switches colour-temperature through "warm white" to "the colour of candle-light" (my descriptions!) with the two subsequent clicks of the light-switch. It came from B&Q, but I don't think its their own make, and I can't recall what make it is. The control functionality (three colour-balances) is pretty basic when compared with a full-function LED system, but it doesn't need a separate controller or a mobile phone plus base-station to operate it, and I find "mood lighting" rather gimmicky anyway.

If ever I repaint the layout room walls, I will use very pale grey, rather than the very pale blue that they are now

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

After a lot of searching, I managed to find a light fitting with built-in LEDs, which comes on at about ten-zillion lux, daylight balanced, with one click of the light-switch (good for reading, paperwork, model-making), but switches colour-temperature through "warm white" to "the colour of candle-light" (my descriptions!) with the two subsequent clicks of the light-switch. It came from B&Q, but I don't think its their own make, and I can't recall what make it is.

I'm trying to think what terms to use to search for such a light, so far without success

Richard

I gave up trying to find lights on-line, because you need to read the specification to get details of colour temperature and light output, which are details that aren’t usually given on-line except by “proper” lighting firms.

For “daylight”, you need 6000K, although anything above c4000K is fairly good for close work and reading. For comparison, a typical incandescent is around 2700K, and a candle 1800K.

And personally I like a high light output, as well as high colour temperature.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My railway room walls are varnished wood cladding (so is the ceiling), with various posters such as tube maps,

IMG_1608.jpg

Lake-District-7th-Edition_Approved_image

Dr Who & Wallace & Gromit.:)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Wallace & Gromit.:)

My ex decorated her flat with Wallace & Gromit wallpaper. Seriously.

They were selling it off cheaply and it was actually pretty good. The blue dog bone one everywhere apart from the bathroom which had the yellow/pink fish one. It was only going to be for a year or so and it was much better than the rubbish the landlord had put up. That was about twenty odd years ago.

Jason

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

I'm trying to think what terms to use to search for such a light, so far without success

Richard

Search for Tunable Lighting 

e.g. (this one's not B&Q - just the first one that turned up on google):

https://www.johnlewis.com/philips-wawel-tunable-led-flush-ceiling-light-white/p3627065?sku=237601565

Edited by sharris
Took a lot of guff out of the url
  • Like 2